Reggaeton-tastic Cuba holidays as Calle 13 confirms Havana concert for late March
After growing speculation of the planned Havana concert of Grammy-winning hip-hop group Calle 13, the singer of the band has finally confirmed a date, explaining how the concert had to be delayed due to political setbacks impeding their travel to Cuba.
Lovers of Latin hip hop, rap and reggaeton have a place to head to for next week, now would be the ideal last minute time to book those Cuba holidays if you want to take part in the first ever Calle 13 in Cuba, after years of failed attempts for the group to visit the island. The Puerto Rican urban music duo Calle 13 has publicly announced and confirmed that it will perform on March 23 in the Anti-Imperialist Tribune in the Cuban capital of Havana.
Speaking about the forthcoming concert nearing its date as their performance gets closer, the band’s singer Rene Perez (A.K.A – ‘Resdidente’) declared to digital media outlets cited by Cubadebate:
“I am very happy, because this concert could be achieved with much sacrifice. We are not collecting and we are taking the entire band along”
Making clear that this will be a non-profit concert for the people of Cuba to enjoy without paying a penny, Calle 13 is following in the steps of Colombian singer Juanes who last year in September hosted the controversial “Peace without Borders” concert in the capital’s Revolution Square after much criticism by Miami Americans.
Calle 13, also formed by Eduardo Cabra, “Visitor” and Rene Perez “Resident”, tried for two years to perform in Cuba, but this was prevented for a number of reasons, including denial of visas by the U.S. government.
This time around however The Puerto Rican hip hop and alternative Reggaeton band Calle 13 managed to finally confirm a date for Havana’s Anti-Imperialist free concert for the enjoyment of all Cubans and all foreign passers-by on Cuba holidays wanting to participate in this music fest.
The announcement also appeared on a website of Rene Perez, as Rene said this time the arrangements took place without problems after two unsuccessful attempts.
“We wanted to go from some time and we could not connect ... But now everything was smooth because we are not doing anything wrong, just music. We are going for the people, because I want them to listen to me and I will listen to them" - Perez added
The duo who formed in 2005 with their first hit-making album, has won two Grammy Awards and 10 Latin Grammies in the United States.
Having performed with high-profile Latin artists, such as world-known Cuban band ‘Orishas’ and the hip-shaking Shakira, Calle 13 are unique in their kind, blending a fusion of Latin hip-hop, rap and reggaeton in a unique if somewhat rare way. With their one-of-a-kind rhtyms and sharp-tongue lyrics they are original in every way and it’s no surprise that album after album they gather award after award, with a total of 12 Grammys in their relatively short 5-year career and with a collection of only 3 albums.
For those who will not make it to Cuba holidays in time for the spectacular concert, and like a bit of controversy in the land where Cuba is seen as the Red Devil, they can rush to Miami as only 2 days after their presentation in Havana city, the Puerto Ricans will give a concert in Miami where anti-Cuban groups put a lot of pressure on the artists who performed at the massive “Peace without Borders Concert” last year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...