Jamaica hotel blames contractor for illegal waste disposal
A luxury Jamaica hotel has admitted that the refuse which was illegally dumped alongside a road in St. Ann last weekend did belong to their property but maintain that they are not directly at fault.
The Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort, which provides luxury holidays for travellers on Jamaica holidays, hired a contractor to remove the waste from the property but a witness saw the refuse being dumped on a road by the truck driver. A $10,000 fine was imposed on the Jamaica hotel by the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) but the contractor took full responsibility for the incident and has already paid the full amount.
The resort said in statement this week:
"Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa's recent citation by the National Solid Waste Management Authority on March 1, 2010 was a direct result of a third-party waste management contracting company's violation of Jamaica's anti-dumping laws. We note that the third-party company has taken full responsibility for the citation and have paid the required fines to the NSWMA, in addition to cleaning up the area as stipulated by the authority within the specified time."
After the incident was reported to the NSWMA, the luxury resort was given a formal warning and three days to clear the waste from the roadside. In addition to the $10,000 resort fine, the contractor was also fined $2,000. The Jamaica hotel and resort is famous for providing relaxing and luxury holidays in Jamaica for travellers from all over the world and are putting steps in place to ensure that this incident will not happen again.
"As good corporate citizens, the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa has for the past five years worked at considerable expense with the Ministry of Tourism/Tourism Product Development Company's Resort Board that includes NSWMA, NWA and the Parish Council, to clean the gully directly beside the Ocho Rios property and remain committed to this task. We therefore understand the need to ensure that our environment is kept clean for our own Jamaicans as well as our overseas guests.
"Sunset Resorts maintains strict corporate policies to adhere to all Jamaican laws and ensures that all team members follow standard operating procedures in their day to day jobs in keeping with environmental best practices."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, catamarans & More
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...