Jamaica hotel blames contractor for illegal waste disposal
A luxury Jamaica hotel has admitted that the refuse which was illegally dumped alongside a road in St. Ann last weekend did belong to their property but maintain that they are not directly at fault.
The Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort, which provides luxury holidays for travellers on Jamaica holidays, hired a contractor to remove the waste from the property but a witness saw the refuse being dumped on a road by the truck driver. A $10,000 fine was imposed on the Jamaica hotel by the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) but the contractor took full responsibility for the incident and has already paid the full amount.
The resort said in statement this week:
"Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa's recent citation by the National Solid Waste Management Authority on March 1, 2010 was a direct result of a third-party waste management contracting company's violation of Jamaica's anti-dumping laws. We note that the third-party company has taken full responsibility for the citation and have paid the required fines to the NSWMA, in addition to cleaning up the area as stipulated by the authority within the specified time."
After the incident was reported to the NSWMA, the luxury resort was given a formal warning and three days to clear the waste from the roadside. In addition to the $10,000 resort fine, the contractor was also fined $2,000. The Jamaica hotel and resort is famous for providing relaxing and luxury holidays in Jamaica for travellers from all over the world and are putting steps in place to ensure that this incident will not happen again.
"As good corporate citizens, the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa has for the past five years worked at considerable expense with the Ministry of Tourism/Tourism Product Development Company's Resort Board that includes NSWMA, NWA and the Parish Council, to clean the gully directly beside the Ocho Rios property and remain committed to this task. We therefore understand the need to ensure that our environment is kept clean for our own Jamaicans as well as our overseas guests.
"Sunset Resorts maintains strict corporate policies to adhere to all Jamaican laws and ensures that all team members follow standard operating procedures in their day to day jobs in keeping with environmental best practices."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...