Jamaica hotel blames contractor for illegal waste disposal
A luxury Jamaica hotel has admitted that the refuse which was illegally dumped alongside a road in St. Ann last weekend did belong to their property but maintain that they are not directly at fault.
The Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort, which provides luxury holidays for travellers on Jamaica holidays, hired a contractor to remove the waste from the property but a witness saw the refuse being dumped on a road by the truck driver. A $10,000 fine was imposed on the Jamaica hotel by the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) but the contractor took full responsibility for the incident and has already paid the full amount.
The resort said in statement this week:
"Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa's recent citation by the National Solid Waste Management Authority on March 1, 2010 was a direct result of a third-party waste management contracting company's violation of Jamaica's anti-dumping laws. We note that the third-party company has taken full responsibility for the citation and have paid the required fines to the NSWMA, in addition to cleaning up the area as stipulated by the authority within the specified time."
After the incident was reported to the NSWMA, the luxury resort was given a formal warning and three days to clear the waste from the roadside. In addition to the $10,000 resort fine, the contractor was also fined $2,000. The Jamaica hotel and resort is famous for providing relaxing and luxury holidays in Jamaica for travellers from all over the world and are putting steps in place to ensure that this incident will not happen again.
"As good corporate citizens, the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa has for the past five years worked at considerable expense with the Ministry of Tourism/Tourism Product Development Company's Resort Board that includes NSWMA, NWA and the Parish Council, to clean the gully directly beside the Ocho Rios property and remain committed to this task. We therefore understand the need to ensure that our environment is kept clean for our own Jamaicans as well as our overseas guests.
"Sunset Resorts maintains strict corporate policies to adhere to all Jamaican laws and ensures that all team members follow standard operating procedures in their day to day jobs in keeping with environmental best practices."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Enjoy the private beach and Sugar Mill Falls Water Park nearby
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...