Jamaica hotel blames contractor for illegal waste disposal
A luxury Jamaica hotel has admitted that the refuse which was illegally dumped alongside a road in St. Ann last weekend did belong to their property but maintain that they are not directly at fault.
The Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort, which provides luxury holidays for travellers on Jamaica holidays, hired a contractor to remove the waste from the property but a witness saw the refuse being dumped on a road by the truck driver. A $10,000 fine was imposed on the Jamaica hotel by the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) but the contractor took full responsibility for the incident and has already paid the full amount.
The resort said in statement this week:
"Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa's recent citation by the National Solid Waste Management Authority on March 1, 2010 was a direct result of a third-party waste management contracting company's violation of Jamaica's anti-dumping laws. We note that the third-party company has taken full responsibility for the citation and have paid the required fines to the NSWMA, in addition to cleaning up the area as stipulated by the authority within the specified time."
After the incident was reported to the NSWMA, the luxury resort was given a formal warning and three days to clear the waste from the roadside. In addition to the $10,000 resort fine, the contractor was also fined $2,000. The Jamaica hotel and resort is famous for providing relaxing and luxury holidays in Jamaica for travellers from all over the world and are putting steps in place to ensure that this incident will not happen again.
"As good corporate citizens, the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa has for the past five years worked at considerable expense with the Ministry of Tourism/Tourism Product Development Company's Resort Board that includes NSWMA, NWA and the Parish Council, to clean the gully directly beside the Ocho Rios property and remain committed to this task. We therefore understand the need to ensure that our environment is kept clean for our own Jamaicans as well as our overseas guests.
"Sunset Resorts maintains strict corporate policies to adhere to all Jamaican laws and ensures that all team members follow standard operating procedures in their day to day jobs in keeping with environmental best practices."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility and Unlimited All Inclusive
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & more
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...