Mexico and Cancun Holidays showing ongoing recovery
Figures recently released by Mexico's Tourism Ministry clearly show signs of an ongoing recovery in a Latin American tourism destination that had been badly suffering the serious aftermath effects of the swine flu break and the global economic crisis.
New figures from the country’s Tourism Ministry have revealed that Mexico’s December 2009 revenues fell by 4.5% to USD 1.17 billion reflecting an ongoing recovery in comparison to the total declining figures from last year which went down by 15% to $11.28 billion. This increase is largely thanks to the many efforts invested in putting Cancun holidays back on track after extensive restoration of its beaches (some of which had been badly devastated by past hurricanes). That and the fact that the chicken flu scare is a thing of the past, the ever-popular Cancun holidays are finally regaining its top position as one of the world’s most desired destinations for luxury holidays.
On the other hand income from border crossings, tourists and cruise passengers totalled $1.17 billion, down from $1.22 billion in December 2008, according to data from the Bank of Mexico.
The Tourism Ministry added in the press release that "after the impact from the economic crisis and the outbreak of A/H1N1 influenza, the tourism sector in Mexico registered a recovery at the close of 2009 that was reflected by the arrival of tourists, currency inflows, and hotel occupancy”
Report reflects that tourist arrivals to non-border areas totalled 1.41 million in December, down 1.4% from the year-ago month, while the number of cruise-ship passengers rose 18%, to 745,944. That contrasts with a 51% drop in non-border tourist arrivals and a 93% drop in cruise-ship passengers in May, shortly after Mexico was identified as the epicentre of the new flu strain.
This slight but increasing recovery shows that the efforts put in by the government to increase awareness and raise nterest among foreign travellers are indeed being effective. The government launched an aggressive marketing campaign, dubbed Viva Mexico, to revamp the industry after the flu outbreak. Using popular social networking sites, the Tourism Ministry worked hard offering special deals and giving away free Cancun holidays to entice.
Tourism had previously been on track to weather the global economic downturn fairly well, thanks to Mexico close proximity to the U.S. and its competitively priced resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...