Mexico and Cancun Holidays showing ongoing recovery
Figures recently released by Mexico's Tourism Ministry clearly show signs of an ongoing recovery in a Latin American tourism destination that had been badly suffering the serious aftermath effects of the swine flu break and the global economic crisis.
New figures from the country’s Tourism Ministry have revealed that Mexico’s December 2009 revenues fell by 4.5% to USD 1.17 billion reflecting an ongoing recovery in comparison to the total declining figures from last year which went down by 15% to $11.28 billion. This increase is largely thanks to the many efforts invested in putting Cancun holidays back on track after extensive restoration of its beaches (some of which had been badly devastated by past hurricanes). That and the fact that the chicken flu scare is a thing of the past, the ever-popular Cancun holidays are finally regaining its top position as one of the world’s most desired destinations for luxury holidays.
On the other hand income from border crossings, tourists and cruise passengers totalled $1.17 billion, down from $1.22 billion in December 2008, according to data from the Bank of Mexico.
The Tourism Ministry added in the press release that "after the impact from the economic crisis and the outbreak of A/H1N1 influenza, the tourism sector in Mexico registered a recovery at the close of 2009 that was reflected by the arrival of tourists, currency inflows, and hotel occupancy”
Report reflects that tourist arrivals to non-border areas totalled 1.41 million in December, down 1.4% from the year-ago month, while the number of cruise-ship passengers rose 18%, to 745,944. That contrasts with a 51% drop in non-border tourist arrivals and a 93% drop in cruise-ship passengers in May, shortly after Mexico was identified as the epicentre of the new flu strain.
This slight but increasing recovery shows that the efforts put in by the government to increase awareness and raise nterest among foreign travellers are indeed being effective. The government launched an aggressive marketing campaign, dubbed Viva Mexico, to revamp the industry after the flu outbreak. Using popular social networking sites, the Tourism Ministry worked hard offering special deals and giving away free Cancun holidays to entice.
Tourism had previously been on track to weather the global economic downturn fairly well, thanks to Mexico close proximity to the U.S. and its competitively priced resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...