Cuba holidays to the beat of the 2010 Drums Fiesta
From 9-14 March Havana will witness the 9th edition of the 2010 Drum Fiesta as the city gathers percussionists from various countries that come to perform with their Cuban counterparts and participate in a range of lively concerts and competitions.
In a musical fest like no other players from Venezuela, Canada, the US and Holland will soon be interacting with their Cuban hosts at the International Drum Festival 2010 and the International Contest Guillermo Barreto in Memoriam which will take place in Havana next week from 9th -14th March.
A great time for music lovers to come on Cuba holidays, this year’s Drum Festival will be presided by orchestra director Gerardo Piloto, honouring famous Cuban drum players Ricardo Abreu (Papin), Jesus Alfonso Miro, Roberto Garcia and Elio Reve.
Among the confirmed foreign guests taking the time to attend this lively and musically enriching event are Aldo Mazza (Canada), Memo Acevedo (US), Rene Engel (Holland) and Son PDVSA group (Venezuela).
The foreign group is to share stage with Cubans Amadito Valdes, a legendary member of the traditional Buena Vista Social Club, Tomas Ramos (El Panga), Jazzist Yaroldy Abreu and Samuel Formell from the famed Los Van Van salsa group.
Along the Festival there'll be the International Contest Guillermo Barreto in Memoriam to compete in five variants of the drum family: major, bongos, bata (djembe), set and bass.
The 9th event of this kind, this international festival is designed to promote the kind of Cuban folklore in terms of traditional music and jazz that can be experienced during Cuba holidays and which are one of the island’s most fascinating attributes – its musical diversity and outstanding quality of musicians and composers.
In statements to the Cuban News Agency (ACN), drummer Giraldo Piloto, director of Klimax and president of the event´s organising committee, said that the main representatives of today´s Cuban percussion world have been included in the program.
Piloto also dded that the event will in addition have a competitive section aiming at highlighting the talent of new artists in traditional Cuban music, that for which veteran performers such as Grammy-winning Omara Portuondo and Buena Vista Social Club are well renowned for.
This event provides an opportunity for exchange of knowledge between foreign artists and Cuban performers, demonstrating how far Cuba has developed in playing an ample gamut of percussion instruments. If enjoying the festival while on Cuba holidays you will see percussion and its reference in international creation, along with a contest, a theoretical encounter, conferences, master lectures and a range of concerts.
If you want to attend such a musically enriching event during your Cuba holidays the place to head down to is the Amadeo Roldan theatre and the America theatre, as well as by the Rumba Palace and the Salon Rosado de la Tropical cultural complex in Havana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...