Cuba holidays to the beat of the 2010 Drums Fiesta
From 9-14 March Havana will witness the 9th edition of the 2010 Drum Fiesta as the city gathers percussionists from various countries that come to perform with their Cuban counterparts and participate in a range of lively concerts and competitions.
In a musical fest like no other players from Venezuela, Canada, the US and Holland will soon be interacting with their Cuban hosts at the International Drum Festival 2010 and the International Contest Guillermo Barreto in Memoriam which will take place in Havana next week from 9th -14th March.
A great time for music lovers to come on Cuba holidays, this year’s Drum Festival will be presided by orchestra director Gerardo Piloto, honouring famous Cuban drum players Ricardo Abreu (Papin), Jesus Alfonso Miro, Roberto Garcia and Elio Reve.
Among the confirmed foreign guests taking the time to attend this lively and musically enriching event are Aldo Mazza (Canada), Memo Acevedo (US), Rene Engel (Holland) and Son PDVSA group (Venezuela).
The foreign group is to share stage with Cubans Amadito Valdes, a legendary member of the traditional Buena Vista Social Club, Tomas Ramos (El Panga), Jazzist Yaroldy Abreu and Samuel Formell from the famed Los Van Van salsa group.
Along the Festival there'll be the International Contest Guillermo Barreto in Memoriam to compete in five variants of the drum family: major, bongos, bata (djembe), set and bass.
The 9th event of this kind, this international festival is designed to promote the kind of Cuban folklore in terms of traditional music and jazz that can be experienced during Cuba holidays and which are one of the island’s most fascinating attributes – its musical diversity and outstanding quality of musicians and composers.
In statements to the Cuban News Agency (ACN), drummer Giraldo Piloto, director of Klimax and president of the event´s organising committee, said that the main representatives of today´s Cuban percussion world have been included in the program.
Piloto also dded that the event will in addition have a competitive section aiming at highlighting the talent of new artists in traditional Cuban music, that for which veteran performers such as Grammy-winning Omara Portuondo and Buena Vista Social Club are well renowned for.
This event provides an opportunity for exchange of knowledge between foreign artists and Cuban performers, demonstrating how far Cuba has developed in playing an ample gamut of percussion instruments. If enjoying the festival while on Cuba holidays you will see percussion and its reference in international creation, along with a contest, a theoretical encounter, conferences, master lectures and a range of concerts.
If you want to attend such a musically enriching event during your Cuba holidays the place to head down to is the Amadeo Roldan theatre and the America theatre, as well as by the Rumba Palace and the Salon Rosado de la Tropical cultural complex in Havana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...