Cuba holidays to the beat of the 2010 Drums Fiesta
From 9-14 March Havana will witness the 9th edition of the 2010 Drum Fiesta as the city gathers percussionists from various countries that come to perform with their Cuban counterparts and participate in a range of lively concerts and competitions.
In a musical fest like no other players from Venezuela, Canada, the US and Holland will soon be interacting with their Cuban hosts at the International Drum Festival 2010 and the International Contest Guillermo Barreto in Memoriam which will take place in Havana next week from 9th -14th March.
A great time for music lovers to come on Cuba holidays, this year’s Drum Festival will be presided by orchestra director Gerardo Piloto, honouring famous Cuban drum players Ricardo Abreu (Papin), Jesus Alfonso Miro, Roberto Garcia and Elio Reve.
Among the confirmed foreign guests taking the time to attend this lively and musically enriching event are Aldo Mazza (Canada), Memo Acevedo (US), Rene Engel (Holland) and Son PDVSA group (Venezuela).
The foreign group is to share stage with Cubans Amadito Valdes, a legendary member of the traditional Buena Vista Social Club, Tomas Ramos (El Panga), Jazzist Yaroldy Abreu and Samuel Formell from the famed Los Van Van salsa group.
Along the Festival there'll be the International Contest Guillermo Barreto in Memoriam to compete in five variants of the drum family: major, bongos, bata (djembe), set and bass.
The 9th event of this kind, this international festival is designed to promote the kind of Cuban folklore in terms of traditional music and jazz that can be experienced during Cuba holidays and which are one of the island’s most fascinating attributes – its musical diversity and outstanding quality of musicians and composers.
In statements to the Cuban News Agency (ACN), drummer Giraldo Piloto, director of Klimax and president of the event´s organising committee, said that the main representatives of today´s Cuban percussion world have been included in the program.
Piloto also dded that the event will in addition have a competitive section aiming at highlighting the talent of new artists in traditional Cuban music, that for which veteran performers such as Grammy-winning Omara Portuondo and Buena Vista Social Club are well renowned for.
This event provides an opportunity for exchange of knowledge between foreign artists and Cuban performers, demonstrating how far Cuba has developed in playing an ample gamut of percussion instruments. If enjoying the festival while on Cuba holidays you will see percussion and its reference in international creation, along with a contest, a theoretical encounter, conferences, master lectures and a range of concerts.
If you want to attend such a musically enriching event during your Cuba holidays the place to head down to is the Amadeo Roldan theatre and the America theatre, as well as by the Rumba Palace and the Salon Rosado de la Tropical cultural complex in Havana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...