Costa Rica holidays in search of more European tourists
While Costa Rica's Camara Nacional de Turismo (Canatur) said each year more and more European travellers make Costa Rica their holiday destination the National Tourism authority says the country still needs a lot more tourists from Europe
Even when the number of European travellers taking Costa Rica holidays increases every year, this central American country’s tourist board doesn’t think that the figures are high enough and considers that more could be done to entice more European travellers to take Costa Rica holidays.
According to the Cámara Nacional de Turismo (Canatur) more people from the "Viejo Continente" (Old Continent, as Europe is referred to in Latin America) are curious and eager to discover the country they hear so much about, and yet it seems not all are acting upon their wishes and embarking on enriching holidays to Costa Rica This is why the Costa Rica’s National Tourism authority says the country still needs a lot more tourists from Europe.
Canatur (Costa Rica’s Camara Nacional de Turismo) reported that in 2009, the country received a total of 187.486 European tourists who took Costa Rica holidays, the majority of which came from Spain. The country now wants to further spread its appeal beyond Europe’s only hispanic country and extend its allure to neigbouring nations such as France, Germany, Italy and the UK.
And for that purpose Costa Rican tourism officials are attending the Feria Internacional de Turismo (Fitur) that is currently taking place in Madrid, Spain, this week.
The objective for 2010 is to make a significante increase on the 2009 numbers of European travellers taking Costa Rica holidays and to make sure this aim is met at least 32 Costa Rican tourism operators are attending the Fitur.
For Costa Rica, Europe is a very promising emergenging market for touristm and an increase in European travellers taking holidays in Costa Rica would positively decrease Costa Rica's high dependence on American tourists that now make up the bulk of the almost 2 million annual visitors to Costa Rica.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
- Learn more about Costa Rica with unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore Edit
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco -tourist dream destination
- This unique experience of canopy walkways allows you to experience the virgin cloud forest treetops. Through a bridge system you can marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing.
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...