Costa Rica holidays in search of more European tourists
While Costa Rica's Camara Nacional de Turismo (Canatur) said each year more and more European travellers make Costa Rica their holiday destination the National Tourism authority says the country still needs a lot more tourists from Europe
Even when the number of European travellers taking Costa Rica holidays increases every year, this central American country’s tourist board doesn’t think that the figures are high enough and considers that more could be done to entice more European travellers to take Costa Rica holidays.
According to the Cámara Nacional de Turismo (Canatur) more people from the "Viejo Continente" (Old Continent, as Europe is referred to in Latin America) are curious and eager to discover the country they hear so much about, and yet it seems not all are acting upon their wishes and embarking on enriching holidays to Costa Rica This is why the Costa Rica’s National Tourism authority says the country still needs a lot more tourists from Europe.
Canatur (Costa Rica’s Camara Nacional de Turismo) reported that in 2009, the country received a total of 187.486 European tourists who took Costa Rica holidays, the majority of which came from Spain. The country now wants to further spread its appeal beyond Europe’s only hispanic country and extend its allure to neigbouring nations such as France, Germany, Italy and the UK.
And for that purpose Costa Rican tourism officials are attending the Feria Internacional de Turismo (Fitur) that is currently taking place in Madrid, Spain, this week.
The objective for 2010 is to make a significante increase on the 2009 numbers of European travellers taking Costa Rica holidays and to make sure this aim is met at least 32 Costa Rican tourism operators are attending the Fitur.
For Costa Rica, Europe is a very promising emergenging market for touristm and an increase in European travellers taking holidays in Costa Rica would positively decrease Costa Rica's high dependence on American tourists that now make up the bulk of the almost 2 million annual visitors to Costa Rica.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your amazing tour
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Book in any Preferred Club Room and receive the Free to Explore package including a Nicaragua Tour and Much more
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury, where everything is included such as: gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more
- Both kids and teens can mingle at our Explorers Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia.
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...