Barbados Tourism Authority in talks with Popstars and Sports Stars
A number of international celebrities and sports stars might be working alongside the Barbados Tourism Authority in an attempt to attract more travellers to take Barbados holidays this year and help boost the region's tourism and travel sector.
International popstar and Barbados born, Rihanna, and the legendary soul singer Hal Linton are said to be talking to the Minister of Tourism, Richard Sealy, about potential performances in Barbados this year. The number of visitors taking flights to Barbados declined by 8.7 per cent during 2009 and the number of tourists taking Barbados holidays during the year fell in total by eight per cent.
Now the Barbados government and Barbados Tourism Authority are implementing a wide-range marketing and promotion programme in a bid to reverse the losses from 2009 and encourage more travellers to take Barbados holidays.
Officials from the tourism industry in Barbados said that tourist spending, including stays in Barbados hotels, was down by a staggering $100 million last year compared to 2008 and the number of long-stay visitors to the region fell by nearly 40,000.
The new marketing programme has been put in place to improve old markets and target tourists from all over the world to take holidays in Barbados with the help of new sports, culture and music events taking place on the stunning island.
After a visit from tennis star Serena Williams in 2009, this year could see an appearance from sister, Venus Williams, and other tennis aces at the Tennis Pon De Rock.
With the International Cricket Council's Twenty20 cricket series in May, the world's female boxing championships in September and a number of other music and culture events taking place in 2010, Barbados looks set for a busy year and will provide visitors on Barbados holidays with superstar entertainment as well as stunning scenery, warm temperatures and friendly welcoming locals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Just 25 minutes to the capital Bridgetown and 10 minutes from the airport
- New Special offer! Discounted Rates plus come check out the upgraded in room facilities!
- Benefit from the self catering service or the fabulous restaurant offering international and Caribbean cuisine
- The Butterfly Beach Hotel is set beside Oistin's Bay with access to two white sand beaches
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, Almond Beach Resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
- Enjoy a Complimentary Island Safari Tour, A fantastic FREE power Boat Trip with a Swim With Turtles and a FREE Half day Island Coach Tour
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- NEW! From October 2017 Enjoy complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
The tranquil spa and relaxation space at Tamarind by Elegant Hotels complements the beauty of the sea and sand as well as the chic contemporary design.
- Incredible savings of up to 50%, extra savings now available in the February sale
- Enjoy complimentary motorised water sports and Kids Club
- Book the Elegance Dine Around Half Board or Full Board Meal Plans and also dine at the Oceanfront Italian Restaurant Daphne's for Dinner.
- Only 20 minutes from the island capital of Bridgetown
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...
Everyone dreams about a holiday with their loved one or family where they can enjoy unlimited sunshine on an idyllic...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...