Increase in Goa holidays booked over festive period
Popular tourist destinations Goa and Kerala have seen a dramatic increase in accommodation bookings for the festive period this year indicating that the worst could be over for the region's struggling travel and tourism industry.
Travellers looking to book Goa holidays for Christmas or New Year’s Eve celebrations may be out of luck as Goa hotels and many luxury hotels in Kerala are reporting that they are already full up.
The bookings for holidays in Goa and Kerala have been made by travellers despite warnings being announced about avoiding travel to India during the high season in case of terrorism attacks.
Senior Vice President of Hotel Leelaventure, Rajiv Kaul, said:
"We are already sold out for the Goa property and the one at Kovalam (in Kerala) is more than 90 per cent full for the period. Apart from the continued influx of international tourists into the country, there is a strong interest from the domestic market as well. Beach resorts have marked the strongest of comebacks from the lows of last year."
In spite of concerns over terror threats, the region is relieved that so many travellers are planning to take Goa holidays this year, compared to the travel industry’s disappointing results last year’s due to the collapse of the global economy and the unfortunate Mumbai terror attacks.
Owners of Goa luxury hotels are looking forward to the influx of visitors and announced that bookings for the festive period started considerably rising over the past couple of weeks.
Co-promoter of the Bangalore-based Royal Orchid Hotels, Keshav Baljee, said:
"So far, November has been very good but bookings for December, including dates, which are other than the ones usually in demand, are happening at a very healthy pace."
Charter flights from Russia to Goa have increased by 35 per cent and the UK are still leading the way with the highest number of flights.
Hoteliers inthe area are once again increasing rooms rates and are optimistic about the industry in the next few months ahead.
Marketing Vice President of The Lalit, Shobu Mathew, said:
"There are lots of conferences and meetings taking place in our property, apart from a sheer increase in the number of weddings, especially from the NRI segment. We are just back from a summit in London and definitely the charter arrivals are expected to go up significantly. We had to increase our rates, too, due to the demand. Things are definitely looking brighter than last year."
Travellers booking Goa holidays are not cutting back on the quality of their stay despite the economic recovery remaining slow.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Goa Browse all
Get the best of both worlds: relax on the beach or take part in one of the many activities on offer.
- The resort has a great location next to a white sandy beach while still being in close proximity to the shopping district
- Relax in or by the large swimming pool where you can catch a sight of some exotic birds when they come to migrate
- The resort has a large range of facilities and activities with something for everyone
Enjoy the warm Goan hospitality in a hotel that offers a wide range of activities with something for everyone
- There is something to suit everyone's tastes with Indian, Chinese, Continental and traditional Goan cuisine to chose from
- Spoil yourself in the hotel Health Club and enjoy ultimate relaxation while enjoying one of the many treatments on offer
- Relax in an amazing location where you can choose between two beautiful beaches both within close proximity
Explore Goa from the perfect setting of a palm-fringed coastline on the exclusive Vainguinim Beach.
- With a superb range of facilities, this resort suits couples and families alike and offers an ideal Indian holiday
- Goa's colonial past is evident in the stylish Portuguese decor and design, the resort resembles a charming Portuguese village
- The resort offers 4 excellent restaurants, 3 a la carte and a continental buffet and often host nightly entertainment during dinner
Ideal for any type of guest looking for a memorable and relaxing Indian holiday on a tranquil beach
- Spoil your mind, body and soul with all the beauty massages at Maya Spa
- Keep up to date with all the latest news wherever you are within the hotel with complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
- Indulge in the many activities and facilities on offer including a casino, swimming pool and an activities centre with video games and a pool table
Discover the Portuguese charm of Goa while you enjoy a relaxing 8-day stay at the Cidade de Goa hotel in India where bed...
Ideally located on the shore of the longest beach, The Zuri White Sands, Goa Resort and Casino is perfect for those...
Enjoy a holiday at the Leela Kempinski Hotel located along the Mobor Beach in Goa, India. It is a unique combination of...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Discover new and exciting ways to spend your free time when you holiday at the Club Mahindra Hotel in Goa. It is a...