Hurricane Ida no longer a threat to Cuba holidays but now heading for Cancun
Moving away from Cuba's most western point Hurricane Ida seems to be safely out of the island's way as it heads towards the Mexican Gulf sending a warning to those enjoying Cancun holidays in the Yucatan area
Cuba holidays can now safely wave a white flag as the island rids itself of hurricane threats with Hurricane Ida moving west now and sending a warning to those enjoying Cancun holidays in the Yucatan area.
As Ida moves deeper into the Gulf of Mexico, the island’s National Hurricane Center (NHC) removed the tropical storm warning for Cuba’s westernmost Pinar del Rio province, in its last 10:00 p.m. EST report yesterday night.
Wary tourists worried about their Cuba holidays being spoilt by quarantine and the hassle of having to move from hotels into safer shelters, can now sigh with relief as the island is firmly declared hurrican free. This is especially true for those who would have been at higher risk in main areas of concern such beach holidays with Varadero hotels being the most affected as most stand right by the sea. It seems the island had a close escape to what could otherwise have become a disastrous natural phenomenon causing significant damage to the whole Varadero holidays infrastructure
Nonetheless, the island’s civil defense authorities are still on guard due to the Cuban Meteorological Institute (INSMET) warning that further heavy rains could still fall last Monday and today in Pinar del Rio, the two Havana provinces and the Isle of Youth.
At 6:00 p.m. EST on Sunday, Ida was located 150 kilometers (90 miles) west-northwest of Cape San Antonio, Cuba’s westernmost tip and just over 550 miles south-southwest of the Mississippi Delta on the US Gulf Coast, where a hurricane warning is now in effect.
The red flag is now on Mexico's side as the INSMET predicts that the hurricane Ida will increase its movement, currently at 10 mph, while heading north towards the Mexican Gulf area, posing as a serious dangerous threat for Cancun holidays and the whole Yucatan peninsula.
A tropical storm warning is also in place for New Orleans, once badly hit by hurricane Katrina in the summer of 2005. Mayor Ray Nagin was recently on official Cuba holidays to learn from the island’s vast disaster prevention experience and its high success rate in preserving lives and material assets.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...