Hurricane Ida no longer a threat to Cuba holidays but now heading for Cancun
Moving away from Cuba's most western point Hurricane Ida seems to be safely out of the island's way as it heads towards the Mexican Gulf sending a warning to those enjoying Cancun holidays in the Yucatan area
Cuba holidays can now safely wave a white flag as the island rids itself of hurricane threats with Hurricane Ida moving west now and sending a warning to those enjoying Cancun holidays in the Yucatan area.
As Ida moves deeper into the Gulf of Mexico, the island’s National Hurricane Center (NHC) removed the tropical storm warning for Cuba’s westernmost Pinar del Rio province, in its last 10:00 p.m. EST report yesterday night.
Wary tourists worried about their Cuba holidays being spoilt by quarantine and the hassle of having to move from hotels into safer shelters, can now sigh with relief as the island is firmly declared hurrican free. This is especially true for those who would have been at higher risk in main areas of concern such beach holidays with Varadero hotels being the most affected as most stand right by the sea. It seems the island had a close escape to what could otherwise have become a disastrous natural phenomenon causing significant damage to the whole Varadero holidays infrastructure
Nonetheless, the island’s civil defense authorities are still on guard due to the Cuban Meteorological Institute (INSMET) warning that further heavy rains could still fall last Monday and today in Pinar del Rio, the two Havana provinces and the Isle of Youth.
At 6:00 p.m. EST on Sunday, Ida was located 150 kilometers (90 miles) west-northwest of Cape San Antonio, Cuba’s westernmost tip and just over 550 miles south-southwest of the Mississippi Delta on the US Gulf Coast, where a hurricane warning is now in effect.
The red flag is now on Mexico's side as the INSMET predicts that the hurricane Ida will increase its movement, currently at 10 mph, while heading north towards the Mexican Gulf area, posing as a serious dangerous threat for Cancun holidays and the whole Yucatan peninsula.
A tropical storm warning is also in place for New Orleans, once badly hit by hurricane Katrina in the summer of 2005. Mayor Ray Nagin was recently on official Cuba holidays to learn from the island’s vast disaster prevention experience and its high success rate in preserving lives and material assets.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...