Virgin Atlantic goes for Green Rolls-Royce engines for new fleet
One of the world's top leading airlines, Virgin Atlantic is now making a strong entrance into the green 'sustainable tourism' market as it announces the purchase of a new fuel-efficient fleet of planes with Rolls Royce engine.
One of the world’s leading long-haul airlines, Virgin Atlantic today announced their selection of the new Rolls-Royce Trent 700 engines to power its new Airbus fleet of 10 A330-300s. The airline which flies to popular Caribbean holidays destinations and is currently the only UK-based carrier serving Cuba holidays, will have its new aircraft soon as their new planes are due for delivery from early 2011.
“Our Rolls Royce engine order signals our commitment to flying a modern fleet with the most fuel efficient technology available. Now is the right time for leading businesses to be placing orders like this so that companies, vital to the British economy, can protect jobs, grow and thrive in the future.” were the words of Steve Ridgway, chief executive of Virgin Atlantic.
Meeting high ecological standards, the new 72,000lb thrust Rolls Royce engine has lower maintenance costs, lower weight and better performance retention. With the lowest lifecycle fuel burn, lowest cumulative emissions and lowest noise levels the Trent 700 has the lowest environmental impact of any engine on the A330.
"This order continues a long and successful relationship and we are pleased that Virgin Atlantic is again turning to Trent engine technology. We remain committed to delivering competitive advantage and fuel-efficient power to support their environmental, operational and economic requirements.” added Rolls-Royce President – Civil Aerospace, Mark King.
Last June 2009 Virgin Atlantic placed a $2.1bn order for 10 new Airbus A330-300 aircraft to serve their many holiday destinations worldwide. Five of the aircraft will arrive in 2011 and five in 2012. The twin-engine plane, which can seat up to 270 passengers, will operate on many of Virgin Atlantic’s existing business and leisure routes around the world and will assist future growth before the arrival of the Boeing 787 Dreamliners in 2013. The A330 aircraft is nearly 10% more fuel efficient than the A340-300 aircraft, which will mean Virgin Atlantic will be about 10% most fuel-efficient than most existing airlines globally, also delivering lower maintenance costs and substantial cargo capacity.
Each of the new A330-300 planes will feature the next generation of seats, which will be lighter and even more comfortable than those in the air today. Every passenger will benefit from a dynamic new entertainment hub, including USB ports and power sockets in Upper Class and Premium Economy cabins, which will set the new standard in in-flight systems. Another great feature will enable all passengers to send and receive emails and texts on their mobile devices during their flight. Virgin Atlantic will thus be the first UK long-haul airline to roll-out this kind of technologically advanced service across its fleet.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Discreet and unpretentious, yet charming and welcoming, Hotel Phebus enjoys a quiet location at the heart of La Marsa -...