St Lucia Holidays to benefit from better skilled staff with new Marine Academy
St Lucia holidays will soon benefit from a new Marine Academy since the country lacks personnel in the cruise industry, and with the introduction of 34 new cruise lines within the next 3-4 years, it's important to acquire skills for the cruise industry
In the hope of ensuring an excellent customer service future in hospitality, St Lucia holidays are to soon benefit from a new Marine Academy, especially created to improve the training standards of their staff.
At the 16th Annual Conference of the Florida Caribbean Cruise taking place all along this week, Tourism Minister Senator Allen Chastanet will be leading discussions on the establishment of a hospitality and marine academy in St Lucia to train young high school graduates as part of what makes St Lucias holidays experiences memorable, especially on the cruise sector, which is currently lacking skilled personnel in the island.
Discussions of this new training project for St Lucia holidays will be held with tourism partners during the investment forum. Senator Chastanet highlighted the lack of trained people in the cruise industry, which accounts for the lowest percentage of Caribbean nationals currently employed in the Caribbean cruises sector.
With the addition of 34 new cruise lines to grace St Lucia holidays within the next three to four years, the Senator says it is important for more people to start acquiring the requisite skills for employment within the St Lucia holidays’ cruise industry.
“We are proposing the establishment of an academy that will take kids out of high school, put them through an 8-9 month certification programme which will be both academic and practical. Thereafter, we would assist those kids to get recruited by the cruise lines. Once those kids go on the cruise ships for 3 to 4 years—that in and of itself will be like attending a university.”
Senator Chastanet added that Saint Lucian nationals needed to embrace and appreciate in a much grander scale the global application, benefits, and importance of tourism-related skills for ensuring St Lucia holidays remain as one of the top Caribbean holiday destinations for cruises.
“The benefit to St. Lucia means that when they are coming back home we have an even a better skilled work force. With the new hotels coming in it is going to be a huge advantage. We are approaching individual companies and also the cruise industry as a group to the possibility of participating in this investment.”
The Tourism Minister concluded by saying that the Government of Saint Lucia is now in the process of signing a Memorandum of Understanding with Monroe College St. Lucia, and MAMPA recruiting Agency, towards the goal of producing properly trained individuals within the cruise sector. So it looks like soon, over the next few years and ready for the coming of the new cruise lines, the island could pose as an attractive, highly trained Caribbean holiday destination for incredible St Lucia holidays cruises.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- Early Booking discount now extended
- All Inclusive Beachfront Resort with 6 restaurants, 6 bars and a cafe
- Overlooking Choc Bay and perfect for families where Kids stay and eat free, have access to a Kids pool and kids club
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Book one of the Honeymoon and Wedding Packages to receive extras that range from a romantic sunset cruise, room upgrades to a private candle lit dinner on the beach
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
- Unique Couples only resort designed for Honeymoons and Weddings
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia experience at Marigot Bay Resort & Marina by Capella Hotel Group
- Laze in one of the hotel's many pools or discover the tropical beach a short boat ride away
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina in your room
The volcanic island of St. Lucia is one abundant in natural beauty. It is home to the most mountains among the Caribbean...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Turn your dream of a Caribbean Villa holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world...