St Lucia Holidays to benefit from better skilled staff with new Marine Academy
St Lucia holidays will soon benefit from a new Marine Academy since the country lacks personnel in the cruise industry, and with the introduction of 34 new cruise lines within the next 3-4 years, it's important to acquire skills for the cruise industry
In the hope of ensuring an excellent customer service future in hospitality, St Lucia holidays are to soon benefit from a new Marine Academy, especially created to improve the training standards of their staff.
At the 16th Annual Conference of the Florida Caribbean Cruise taking place all along this week, Tourism Minister Senator Allen Chastanet will be leading discussions on the establishment of a hospitality and marine academy in St Lucia to train young high school graduates as part of what makes St Lucias holidays experiences memorable, especially on the cruise sector, which is currently lacking skilled personnel in the island.
Discussions of this new training project for St Lucia holidays will be held with tourism partners during the investment forum. Senator Chastanet highlighted the lack of trained people in the cruise industry, which accounts for the lowest percentage of Caribbean nationals currently employed in the Caribbean cruises sector.
With the addition of 34 new cruise lines to grace St Lucia holidays within the next three to four years, the Senator says it is important for more people to start acquiring the requisite skills for employment within the St Lucia holidays’ cruise industry.
“We are proposing the establishment of an academy that will take kids out of high school, put them through an 8-9 month certification programme which will be both academic and practical. Thereafter, we would assist those kids to get recruited by the cruise lines. Once those kids go on the cruise ships for 3 to 4 years—that in and of itself will be like attending a university.”
Senator Chastanet added that Saint Lucian nationals needed to embrace and appreciate in a much grander scale the global application, benefits, and importance of tourism-related skills for ensuring St Lucia holidays remain as one of the top Caribbean holiday destinations for cruises.
“The benefit to St. Lucia means that when they are coming back home we have an even a better skilled work force. With the new hotels coming in it is going to be a huge advantage. We are approaching individual companies and also the cruise industry as a group to the possibility of participating in this investment.”
The Tourism Minister concluded by saying that the Government of Saint Lucia is now in the process of signing a Memorandum of Understanding with Monroe College St. Lucia, and MAMPA recruiting Agency, towards the goal of producing properly trained individuals within the cruise sector. So it looks like soon, over the next few years and ready for the coming of the new cruise lines, the island could pose as an attractive, highly trained Caribbean holiday destination for incredible St Lucia holidays cruises.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway staying on the stunning beachfront of Reduit Beach, right at the centre of everything and close to the lively strip of Rodney Bay.
- Take advantage of the on-site facilities including a spa, fitness centre and beauty salon
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views
- Complimentary Hi-Speed internet access in rooms and free Wi-Fi in all public areas including the beach
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Save up to a fantastic 58%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
Enjoy your stay in St Lucia's only resort with the iconic view of both Pitons mountains as they rise in splendour from the azure Caribbean Sea
- St. Lucia's only resort with the iconic view of both the Piti & Gros Piton mountains floating upon the Caribbean Sea
- A private estate of 600 lush tropical acres bordering two soft-sand Caribbean beaches with unspoiled coral reefs just offshore
- Perfect resort for travelling divers - PADI Dive Center available
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Exclusive offer: Massive Savings of upto £750 per person!
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Find peace and quiet as you enjoy the astounding natural beauty which surrounds the Marigot Bay hotel during an 8-day...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Burrowed upon Rodney Bay, The All-inclusive Rex Papillion Hotel offers direct access to the pristine white sands of...