Lufthansa to become the World's First Airline to Offer High Speed Internet
After a 3 year hiatus with its FlyNet project for in-flight internet access, Lufthansa is finally ready to announce that starting from mid-2010 all of their passengers will be able to make full use of their internet services
After 3 years of incognito since the airline announced its FlyNet project Lufthansa is finally ready to announce the launching of their new full high-speed in-flight internet service following a deal with Panasonic.
The popular European airline offering direct London connections to many holiday destinations around the world including Abu Dhabi holidays, Dubai holidays as well as serving Africa holidays, will soon be offering passengers the ability to community via the internet during their flights, as well as permitting in-flight data transfer over standard GSM/GPRS mobile networks.
Three year ago Lufthansa was among the first carriers to offer inflight broadband, but by the end of 2006 the carrier withdrew the service when Boeing scrapped its Connexion product. Since Boeing killed off Connexion, a new generation of the inflight internet providers, including Aircell, OnAir, Panasonic and Row 44, have learned lessons from the failed Boeing product, developing onboard connectivity offerings that are cheaper, lighter and easier to install.
When the new service is introduced Lufthansa passengers will have WLAN Internet access and will also be able to send SMS messages by mobile phone and transfer data via smartphones such as PDA, iPhone or BlackBerry devices. The airline aims to equip a major part of its long-range fleet with FlyNet within the first year of operation.
“In terms of communications, Lufthansa customers can look forward to a top-tier inflight service,” said Lufthansa CEO and Chairman Wolfgang Mayrhuber. “On long-haul routes, we offer business travellers, in particular, a range of communications options on a par with those available at powerful hotspots or upmarket hotels.”
Lufthansa is deliberately focusing on high bandwidth as the main requirement for the unrestricted use of such services as web surfing, email/file transfer including attachments and the Virtual Private Network (VPN). In addition, only wide bandwidth will enable potential future operational applications such as telemedicine for the transmission of a patient’s vital parameters to a ground station. Whether passengers are going on a business trip to Dubai holidays or going on a leisure escape to remote world locations such as Africa holidays, during their flight they can remain fully connected to the world and home.
FlyNet will be user-friendly as passengers with a WLAN or GSM/GPRS-compatible device can log on from any point in the aircraft cabin, just like at any public hotspot. Depending on the device they are using (i.e. a laptop, mobile phone or a smart phone), passengers flying to business Dubai holidays or leisure Kenya holiday escapes can choose to be billed via a mobile service provider or pay by credit card. Various different price models are planned – ranging from a rate by the hour to a monthly flat rate.
The service will gradually become available on all Lufthansa’s long-haul flights worldwide.
At the moment, only Scandinavian Airlines, Japan Airlines, All Nippon Airways, are the other airlines to offer a somewhat spotty internet service which is set to be much improved with Lufthansa’s new FlyNet internet services which will also be the launch customer of Panasonic’s new exConnect service.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool View
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj mahal of Agra
- Perfect tour to introduce you to India, Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour.
- Experience the street life of Delhi, Delhi is a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- Enjoy $200 Resort Coupons to use on Spa Treatments, Romantic Dinners and more
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
- Save more this March with exclusive savings plus 1st Child stays and Plays Free
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...