Lufthansa to become the World's First Airline to Offer High Speed Internet
After a 3 year hiatus with its FlyNet project for in-flight internet access, Lufthansa is finally ready to announce that starting from mid-2010 all of their passengers will be able to make full use of their internet services
After 3 years of incognito since the airline announced its FlyNet project Lufthansa is finally ready to announce the launching of their new full high-speed in-flight internet service following a deal with Panasonic.
The popular European airline offering direct London connections to many holiday destinations around the world including Abu Dhabi holidays, Dubai holidays as well as serving Africa holidays, will soon be offering passengers the ability to community via the internet during their flights, as well as permitting in-flight data transfer over standard GSM/GPRS mobile networks.
Three year ago Lufthansa was among the first carriers to offer inflight broadband, but by the end of 2006 the carrier withdrew the service when Boeing scrapped its Connexion product. Since Boeing killed off Connexion, a new generation of the inflight internet providers, including Aircell, OnAir, Panasonic and Row 44, have learned lessons from the failed Boeing product, developing onboard connectivity offerings that are cheaper, lighter and easier to install.
When the new service is introduced Lufthansa passengers will have WLAN Internet access and will also be able to send SMS messages by mobile phone and transfer data via smartphones such as PDA, iPhone or BlackBerry devices. The airline aims to equip a major part of its long-range fleet with FlyNet within the first year of operation.
“In terms of communications, Lufthansa customers can look forward to a top-tier inflight service,” said Lufthansa CEO and Chairman Wolfgang Mayrhuber. “On long-haul routes, we offer business travellers, in particular, a range of communications options on a par with those available at powerful hotspots or upmarket hotels.”
Lufthansa is deliberately focusing on high bandwidth as the main requirement for the unrestricted use of such services as web surfing, email/file transfer including attachments and the Virtual Private Network (VPN). In addition, only wide bandwidth will enable potential future operational applications such as telemedicine for the transmission of a patient’s vital parameters to a ground station. Whether passengers are going on a business trip to Dubai holidays or going on a leisure escape to remote world locations such as Africa holidays, during their flight they can remain fully connected to the world and home.
FlyNet will be user-friendly as passengers with a WLAN or GSM/GPRS-compatible device can log on from any point in the aircraft cabin, just like at any public hotspot. Depending on the device they are using (i.e. a laptop, mobile phone or a smart phone), passengers flying to business Dubai holidays or leisure Kenya holiday escapes can choose to be billed via a mobile service provider or pay by credit card. Various different price models are planned – ranging from a rate by the hour to a monthly flat rate.
The service will gradually become available on all Lufthansa’s long-haul flights worldwide.
At the moment, only Scandinavian Airlines, Japan Airlines, All Nippon Airways, are the other airlines to offer a somewhat spotty internet service which is set to be much improved with Lufthansa’s new FlyNet internet services which will also be the launch customer of Panasonic’s new exConnect service.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Add a VIP package, including No.1 Gatwick Lounge Access, Dubai Airport Fast Track and tickets to Burj Khalifa, from £99 per person
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...