Middle East holidays recovering
The number of tourists taking Middle East holidays is predicted to more than double up by 2020 according to UNWTO. Despite a recent decline due to the global recession the Middle East is expected to double world average by 2020
According to the UNWTO the number of tourists taking Middle East holidays in popular destinations such as Dubai holidays, is expected to more than double by 2020 with the growth rate in the region almost doubling up on the world average. Taking the number of arrivals up to a total of 136 million, Middle East holidays expect an unprecedented boost to future figures, which would mean that by 2020 the total number of visitors would increase by 54 million in 10 years.
In its latest report the UNWTO (UN World Tourism Organisation) also reveals that as a result of the global economic slowdown, for the first 7 months of 2009 the number of visitors taking Middle East holidays dropped by 13% when compared against the same period last year.
Nevertheless the popular holiday destination area comprising the United Arab Emirates saw a tourism growth of 3% in the first quarter of this year, proving the popularity of hot destinations such as Dubai holidays, Oman holidays and Abu Dhabi holidays.
In 2008 the region overall experienced a tourism growth of 18.2%, which is predicted to continue from next year. The rate of expected recovery is in line with the global tourism industry, which is predicted to be over the worst and with a full recovery by 2010 looks likely according to the same report from the UNWTO. Speaking at a seminar in Abu Dhabi, the UNWTO regional representative for the Middle East, Amr Abdel-Ghaffar, said:
“Generally speaking, the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) countries appear to be showing a fair degree of resilience to the global economic downturn.”
For the case of Abu Dhabi holidays, the country is aiming to more than double the number of hotel guests to 2.3 million a year by 2012, down from a forecast of 2.7 million earlier this year.
Dubai holidays are also on track as the emirate aims to attract 15 million visitors a year by 2015, which would about double last year’s figure.
“The impact of the A/H1N1 flu, coupled with the global economic crisis, is likely to boost regional and domestic hotel occupancies, as increasingly travelers may opt for destinations closer to home, within the region or even within their home countries,” Abdel-Ghaffar concluded.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Middle East Browse all
Impeccable service combined with comfort and luxury at Hyatt Regency Dubai
- More than ten different Food and Beverage Outlets for your choice
- Try something absolutely unique on Dubai's only Ice Rink
- Located in the heart of the historic Deira with walking distance to the gold souks
Offering a big variety of activities and facilities to meet the needs of all sort of travellers
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
- With 650-meter private beach, 5 temperature-controlled swimming pools, 24-hour Fitness Center that will make your trip unforgetable experience
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1749 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Located on the man-made island of Al Marjan, Rixos Bab Al Bahr lies near Ras Al Khaimah. Everything from tourist...
Discover the beauty of Ras al Khaimah during your stay at the luxurious Doubletree by Hilton Resort and Spa Marjan...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...