Middle East holidays recovering
The number of tourists taking Middle East holidays is predicted to more than double up by 2020 according to UNWTO. Despite a recent decline due to the global recession the Middle East is expected to double world average by 2020
According to the UNWTO the number of tourists taking Middle East holidays in popular destinations such as Dubai holidays, is expected to more than double by 2020 with the growth rate in the region almost doubling up on the world average. Taking the number of arrivals up to a total of 136 million, Middle East holidays expect an unprecedented boost to future figures, which would mean that by 2020 the total number of visitors would increase by 54 million in 10 years.
In its latest report the UNWTO (UN World Tourism Organisation) also reveals that as a result of the global economic slowdown, for the first 7 months of 2009 the number of visitors taking Middle East holidays dropped by 13% when compared against the same period last year.
Nevertheless the popular holiday destination area comprising the United Arab Emirates saw a tourism growth of 3% in the first quarter of this year, proving the popularity of hot destinations such as Dubai holidays, Oman holidays and Abu Dhabi holidays.
In 2008 the region overall experienced a tourism growth of 18.2%, which is predicted to continue from next year. The rate of expected recovery is in line with the global tourism industry, which is predicted to be over the worst and with a full recovery by 2010 looks likely according to the same report from the UNWTO. Speaking at a seminar in Abu Dhabi, the UNWTO regional representative for the Middle East, Amr Abdel-Ghaffar, said:
“Generally speaking, the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) countries appear to be showing a fair degree of resilience to the global economic downturn.”
For the case of Abu Dhabi holidays, the country is aiming to more than double the number of hotel guests to 2.3 million a year by 2012, down from a forecast of 2.7 million earlier this year.
Dubai holidays are also on track as the emirate aims to attract 15 million visitors a year by 2015, which would about double last year’s figure.
“The impact of the A/H1N1 flu, coupled with the global economic crisis, is likely to boost regional and domestic hotel occupancies, as increasingly travelers may opt for destinations closer to home, within the region or even within their home countries,” Abdel-Ghaffar concluded.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Middle East Browse all
The location on the world famous, Palm Jumeirah, provides superb access to white sandy beaches.
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- FREE Half Board upgrade
- Up to two kids stay and play FREE
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
Discover the beauty of Ras al Khaimah during your stay at the luxurious Doubletree by Hilton Resort and Spa Marjan...
Located on the man-made island of Al Marjan, Rixos Bab Al Bahr lies near Ras Al Khaimah. Everything from tourist...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah is a playful, pocket friendly hotel high on design and low on complexity. Perfectly...