Air Jamaica start cutting jobs
At least 380 members of staff from Air Jamaica are due to lose their jobs in October, making the total number of redundancies 500, in an attempt for the airline to cut down on costs and save money in order to continue operating effectively.
Airline, Air Jamaica announced last month that staff reductions will be effective in October. The BITU (Bustamante Industrial Trade Union) represent many of the workers of the airline who provide flights to Jamaica and have stated that they received official notice that 380 members of staff from Air Jamaica were going to be made redundant.
Earlier figures announced that 200 workers were to lose their jobs but the amount has since increased.
President General of BITU, Kavon Gayle, said:
"They have indicated to us that it's approximately 380 persons right across. What we've said to them is that the manner in which you do it must be one that allows the workers to be separated with some dignity. They should meet with all the workers individually and explain to them what the lay off procedure entails. We have been trying to do some of that with all of them."
Air Jamaica provide frequent flights taking travellers from all over the world on their Jamaica holidays but recently the airline have had to look at reducing members of staff in an attempt to save money and cut costs. A recent Ministry paper announced that Air Jamaica would need US$150 million to continue operating this year.
Air Jamaica has been for sale for the past few months but a deal has yet to be made despite recent reports that Caribbean Airlines and Spirit Airlines had both made bids.
The recent global recession has affected most of the Caribbean region with fewer travellers taking Jamaica holidays and Jamaica flights with the private airline. The total of job cuts across the board from Air Jamaica since January this year is 500.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Experience the exclusivity of Ras Al Khaimah from a luxury retreat at this stunning beachfront resort
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...