Air Jamaica start cutting jobs
At least 380 members of staff from Air Jamaica are due to lose their jobs in October, making the total number of redundancies 500, in an attempt for the airline to cut down on costs and save money in order to continue operating effectively.
Airline, Air Jamaica announced last month that staff reductions will be effective in October. The BITU (Bustamante Industrial Trade Union) represent many of the workers of the airline who provide flights to Jamaica and have stated that they received official notice that 380 members of staff from Air Jamaica were going to be made redundant.
Earlier figures announced that 200 workers were to lose their jobs but the amount has since increased.
President General of BITU, Kavon Gayle, said:
"They have indicated to us that it's approximately 380 persons right across. What we've said to them is that the manner in which you do it must be one that allows the workers to be separated with some dignity. They should meet with all the workers individually and explain to them what the lay off procedure entails. We have been trying to do some of that with all of them."
Air Jamaica provide frequent flights taking travellers from all over the world on their Jamaica holidays but recently the airline have had to look at reducing members of staff in an attempt to save money and cut costs. A recent Ministry paper announced that Air Jamaica would need US$150 million to continue operating this year.
Air Jamaica has been for sale for the past few months but a deal has yet to be made despite recent reports that Caribbean Airlines and Spirit Airlines had both made bids.
The recent global recession has affected most of the Caribbean region with fewer travellers taking Jamaica holidays and Jamaica flights with the private airline. The total of job cuts across the board from Air Jamaica since January this year is 500.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...