Air Jamaica start cutting jobs
At least 380 members of staff from Air Jamaica are due to lose their jobs in October, making the total number of redundancies 500, in an attempt for the airline to cut down on costs and save money in order to continue operating effectively.
Airline, Air Jamaica announced last month that staff reductions will be effective in October. The BITU (Bustamante Industrial Trade Union) represent many of the workers of the airline who provide flights to Jamaica and have stated that they received official notice that 380 members of staff from Air Jamaica were going to be made redundant.
Earlier figures announced that 200 workers were to lose their jobs but the amount has since increased.
President General of BITU, Kavon Gayle, said:
"They have indicated to us that it's approximately 380 persons right across. What we've said to them is that the manner in which you do it must be one that allows the workers to be separated with some dignity. They should meet with all the workers individually and explain to them what the lay off procedure entails. We have been trying to do some of that with all of them."
Air Jamaica provide frequent flights taking travellers from all over the world on their Jamaica holidays but recently the airline have had to look at reducing members of staff in an attempt to save money and cut costs. A recent Ministry paper announced that Air Jamaica would need US$150 million to continue operating this year.
Air Jamaica has been for sale for the past few months but a deal has yet to be made despite recent reports that Caribbean Airlines and Spirit Airlines had both made bids.
The recent global recession has affected most of the Caribbean region with fewer travellers taking Jamaica holidays and Jamaica flights with the private airline. The total of job cuts across the board from Air Jamaica since January this year is 500.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...