Cuba Travel from U.S already flourishing
Unofficial tourism from the U.S. going on Cuba holidays has begun to flourish before the travel ban on U.S citizens travelling to the island has been officially lifted by the Obama administration
Undisclosed numbers and figures are showing an increase in Cuba travel from U.S. tourists, with Cuba holidays already flourishing being officially declared legal for U.S. citizens. Even when Obama has not officially changed any rules regarding non-family trips to Cuba from U.S citizens, State Department statistics show anecdotal evidence of a flow of visits and Americans taking Cuba holidays.
A good example is joan Brown Campbell, a church lady who has been to Cuba 37 times in total, except during the last Bush administration, when she could not get the required U.S. permission to visit the island for four straight years. This year she applied once again with the Obama administration granting her license to travel straight away. The U.S. Department even opened doors for her to invite several Cuban academics to visit New York. Among those who attended a conference Brown organized last month: Ofelia Ortega, a member of the Cuban national assembly.
More Americans than ever are heading down for Cuba holidays in the ``people to people'' travel excursions. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson recently made the trip on a legal trade expedition, and actor Benicio Del Toro has gone at least twice since his movie ‘Che’ screened last year.
Cuba Education Tours offer many American professionals tips on how to qualify for a general research license. They offer trips over Thanksgiving, Christmas and a ``51st Anniversary of the Cuban Revolution Tour spanning New Years.''
Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a critic of Obama's currently unchanged Cuba policy said: “Even though the administration hasn't yet published changes allowing more cultural and educational exchanges to and from Cuba, anecdotal evidence suggests that such loosening has already taken place. We see ads informing college students and artistic groups of planned excursions to the island. So it looks like its back to the era of two-week college courses in Cuban culture taught on the beaches of Varadero.''
On another note, very recently Colombian rocker Juanes met with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in May to promote his idea for a ``concert for peace'' in Havana Sept. 20. Because the concert was free and open to the public, the State Department allowed all American musicians to participate.
Obama also ended Bush's practice of stonewalling Cuban academics traveling to the United States to attend conferences. ``Cooperation in academia is very important, and so Cuban professors felt very limited before,'' said Cuban political scientist Rafael Hernández, who got a visa to attend Brown Campbell's conference, and will be a visiting professor this semester at the University of Texas.
``Professors resented not being able go forward with that. It's too soon to tell whether there's been a real change,'' Hernández continued.
Critics say the recent boom in Cuba travel demonstrates that Obama doesn't need an official policy change offering special licenses.
``The law permits all that without a change,'' said pro-embargo lobbyist Mauricio Claver-Carone. ``There is purposeful Cuba travel. The administration has been more lax in authorizing travel than the previous administration was, but that fits the pattern with Democrats.''
But still, these slight “changes” in conduct are mainly symbolic and activists keep pushing and urging Obama to do more by officially changing the rules, not just interpreting them differently. No real boom in Americans taking Cuba holidays can be seen without a more drastic change in policy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...