Cuba and Antigua celebrate Caribbean holidays during World Tourism Day
To mark World Tourism Day last 27th September 2009, Cuba & Antigua held celebrations inspired by this year's slogan of 'Celebrating Diversity'. Both Caribbean holiday destinations organised a range of activities whilst readying for the winter season
Cuba and Antigua were the two proud Caribbean countries celebrating in full flair the Caribbean holidays appeal during World Tourism Day. Last 27th September, both Caribbean holiday destinations organised a range of activities and events to mark this year’s World Tourism Day slogan of ‘Celebrating Diversity’. And they did so in different ways.
Acknowledging the social, cultural and economical importance of tourism in Cuba and the major role that the Cuba holidays appeal plays in driving visitors to the island, Cuba celebrated the Dedication to Diversity initiative saying that they recognise the “importance of the diversity in the tourist industry and the country lays emphasis on how tourism brings the world together and the need to join forces to face up the difficulties of our time.”
The main activities that took place in the island to pay tribute to the special World Tourism Day were all related to the improvement of Cuba holidays with the preparation of all of the islands’ tourism infrastructure now that Cuba hotels are getting ready for the upcoming winter season as they aim to make the 2009/2010 season one of the “most successful ever”. The Cuba Tourist Board was eager to express its “most heartfelt appreciation to all its travel partners: travel agents, airlines, hotelier partners, the travel media and to all the tourist industry employees and the Cuban people,” the board said.
For Antigua’s celebrations, on the other hand, the country teamed up with ABS Television to broadcast a series of special programmes to celebrate diversity for World Tourism Day 2009. Aired last Sunday, 27th September, the day’s programming commenced with an official speech from Antigua’s Tourism Minister, the Hon. John Maginley who based his talk on the main ‘Celebrating Diversity’ topic of this year’s World Tourism Day. This was followed by a thirty minute presentation entitled ‘Rhodes across the Caribbean “The Antiguan Experience”’ which highlighted all the gastronomy to be sampled on Antigua holidays. During this show, Chef Gary Rhodes was “on a quest to demystify the region's colourful and vibrant cuisine."Also airing for the first time was an infomercial based on the issue of the importance of Beach Protection for Antigua holidays, which aimed at sensitising locals and visitors on the need to protect the country’s 365 beautiful white sandy beaches.
"Sunday is usually family day with members sitting together to enjoy their meals as well as entertainment that caters to all age groups and as such the Ministry is delighted to collaborate with the national Television Service to bring you a bit of the diversity that Antigua offers in its unique product," declared Tourism Minister the Hon. John Maginley.
On an ending note, the main activity to commemorate World Tourism Day in Antigua and Barbuda was the first ever Staycations Expo which was held at the Multi-Purpose Cultural Center on Saturday September 26th 2009 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...