Cuba and Antigua celebrate Caribbean holidays during World Tourism Day
To mark World Tourism Day last 27th September 2009, Cuba & Antigua held celebrations inspired by this year's slogan of 'Celebrating Diversity'. Both Caribbean holiday destinations organised a range of activities whilst readying for the winter season
Cuba and Antigua were the two proud Caribbean countries celebrating in full flair the Caribbean holidays appeal during World Tourism Day. Last 27th September, both Caribbean holiday destinations organised a range of activities and events to mark this year’s World Tourism Day slogan of ‘Celebrating Diversity’. And they did so in different ways.
Acknowledging the social, cultural and economical importance of tourism in Cuba and the major role that the Cuba holidays appeal plays in driving visitors to the island, Cuba celebrated the Dedication to Diversity initiative saying that they recognise the “importance of the diversity in the tourist industry and the country lays emphasis on how tourism brings the world together and the need to join forces to face up the difficulties of our time.”
The main activities that took place in the island to pay tribute to the special World Tourism Day were all related to the improvement of Cuba holidays with the preparation of all of the islands’ tourism infrastructure now that Cuba hotels are getting ready for the upcoming winter season as they aim to make the 2009/2010 season one of the “most successful ever”. The Cuba Tourist Board was eager to express its “most heartfelt appreciation to all its travel partners: travel agents, airlines, hotelier partners, the travel media and to all the tourist industry employees and the Cuban people,” the board said.
For Antigua’s celebrations, on the other hand, the country teamed up with ABS Television to broadcast a series of special programmes to celebrate diversity for World Tourism Day 2009. Aired last Sunday, 27th September, the day’s programming commenced with an official speech from Antigua’s Tourism Minister, the Hon. John Maginley who based his talk on the main ‘Celebrating Diversity’ topic of this year’s World Tourism Day. This was followed by a thirty minute presentation entitled ‘Rhodes across the Caribbean “The Antiguan Experience”’ which highlighted all the gastronomy to be sampled on Antigua holidays. During this show, Chef Gary Rhodes was “on a quest to demystify the region's colourful and vibrant cuisine."Also airing for the first time was an infomercial based on the issue of the importance of Beach Protection for Antigua holidays, which aimed at sensitising locals and visitors on the need to protect the country’s 365 beautiful white sandy beaches.
"Sunday is usually family day with members sitting together to enjoy their meals as well as entertainment that caters to all age groups and as such the Ministry is delighted to collaborate with the national Television Service to bring you a bit of the diversity that Antigua offers in its unique product," declared Tourism Minister the Hon. John Maginley.
On an ending note, the main activity to commemorate World Tourism Day in Antigua and Barbuda was the first ever Staycations Expo which was held at the Multi-Purpose Cultural Center on Saturday September 26th 2009 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...