Cuban Tourism Ministry keen on developing Green Cuba holidays
Cuba's Tourism Minister has declared that the future of Cuba holidays lies in its Eco-tourism potential and expressed his eagerness on diversifying the Eco-Cuba holiday appeal with a wider range of green tourist options and activities
Amidst dipping tourism revenues that continue to decrease despite the increasing number of visitors to the island, the Cuban government has taken action and decided to discuss the taking of a few measures in order to boost another kind of Cuba holidays, a new kind of Green tourism in the island.
This week Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) gathered the top leaders from their European and Canadian tour operators to discuss the development and creation of more eco-friendly Cuba holidays. The conference was specifically aimed and directed at boosting a segment of the market that at the moment only accounts for 4% of all foreign visits.
Tourism Minister, Alexis Trujillo said: “We will always be a sun and sand destination, but we want to diversify. Eco-tourism is the future."
Expecting a 3% increase in the total arrival of overseas tourists to top last year’s record figure of 2.35 million, Trujillo said that despite the increase in visitors, price cuts necessary to keep demand high amidst the global recession, have meant that overall revenues will now fail to meet the $2.5 billion generated in 2008. Whereas the Cuba holidays appeal has continued to raise sky high, reductions in price have kept the profits margins very low and a green push is thought to help suffering margins recover.
Cuba now wants to appeal to those environmentally conscious holidaymakers, who are often willing to pay premium prices and stay longer than those looking for cheap beach getaways. Eco-tourists can thus boost profits as they focus not only nature – hiking, bird-watching, scuba-diving, biking - but also on the country’s social and cultural charms, whilst at the same trying to make as little negative impact as possible on nature.
"There's enough to see and do that's green. It can get tourists coming and keep them coming," said a U.S.-based tour operator who has visited the island four times -"When the embargo is dropped and there are more U.S. tourists, Eco-tourism could be a boom. But it needs to be managed very carefully."
And Constanze Walsdorf, a saleswoman for Aventura Touirs in Germany reinforces this idea: "There's a lot of interest," she said, "and it's growing." Her company, which offers about 15 environmentally friendly trips to Cuba, said business has remained brisk despite Europe’s moribund economy.
Cuba ranks among the world leaders in low greenhouse-gas emission, the general output of heavy industry is low and the environmental impact reduced, making Cuba holidays very appealing to the potential new market of green tourists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...