Sri Lanka holiday industry anticipates 30 per cent increase of visitors from India
Sri Lanka is hoping to attract a total of 2.5 million tourists by 2016 as it sets targets anticipating a 30% increase in the number of visitors to the country, especially from India as Sri Lanka's Convention Bureau sees a good potential market in India.
Sri Lanka Tourism has set high targets for visitor numbers to the region, with hopes to attract 2.5 millions tourists taking Sri Lanka holidays by the year 2016. Since the civil war ended earlier this year, Sri Lanka has been on a mission to establish the region as a popular tourist destination and is hoping to attract travellers from all over the world.
Sri Lanka holidays promotion Bureau are relying on a significant proportion of the target arrivals to come from India and they recently held a three-city-road show in Delhi with the Sri Lanka Convention Bureau in a bid to highlight the beautiful island and encourage more people to take Sri Lanka holidays.
Dileep Mudadeniya, Managing Director of Sri Lanka Tourism Bureau revealed that since the end of the war, more travellers from India have been taking holidays in Sri Lanka and stay at hotels in Sri Lanka which indicates that there is a potential market in India to help boost Sri Lanka tourism.
"Mice, Ramayana Trail, Shopping, and Films are the focus areas for Sri Lankan Tourism in the Indian market,"
The road-show took place in Delhi, Ahmadabad, and Bengaluru, where 14 sellers took part and the Sri Lanka holidays Promotion Bureau met over 575 buyers from India.
Sri Lanka Tourism officials are optimistic that up to half a million travellers from India will take Sri Lanka holidays by 2016.
Sri Lanka has also recently taken part in a large re-branding campaign which involved changing their logo and tagline to Sri Lanka Small Miracle, in a bid to rejuvenate the tourist industry and attract more tourists to the idyllic destination in the Indian Ocean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Settle into a haven of tranquility at a luxury boutique hotel that is a member of the prestigious Small Luxury Hotels of the World
- Offers a wide range of facilities including Bike Riding, Windsurfing, Kite Surfing & more
- Accommodation designed by the World-Famous local Architect Geoffrey Bawa
- Enjoy a choice of Wines specially selected for Jetwing
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
This holiday offers an amazing combination of adventure and discovery before a relaxing stay on the beach
- Jetwing Beach has a breathtaking costal location offering the chance to relax on the pristine beach
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Tour is an adventures dream where you will discover the jewels of Kandy
- This holiday is perfectly combined to ensure adventure and relaxation are evenly matched which makes for an unforgettable holiday
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...