Cuba holidays no longer threatened by Hurricane Fred
The Cuban Meteorological Institute released an advisory statement on Hurricane Fred last Wednesday 9th September 2009 to reassure citizens and potential travellers that the storm was losing strength and no longer posed a threat to Cuba
Those planning a Cuba holiday soon should not fear. Not if they want to avoid being greeted by tropical winds. According to a statement released by Cuba’s Meteorological Institute last Wednesday morning; Hurricane Fred seems to be slowing down in speed and decreasing in strength, now downgrading to become a Category Two Hurricane.
This storm no longer poses a threat to Cuba holidays, as models are now showing how the storm was gaining in intensity and taking a turn to the northwest in the following 12 to 24 hours, whilst slowing down from its current 13 miles per hour speed.
Meanwhile, the National Hurricane Center in Miami predicted Fred’s winds to reach 110 miles per hour later on and that over a five-day projection of its path the storm “will keep it over the open ocean until it loses steam”
Latest reports from today; 11th September 2009, have confirmed that Hurrican Fred is weakening far from land over the Atlantic, giving the all-clear to Cuba travel and representing a white flag for Cuba holidays. The National Hurricane Center in Miami said today that Hurricane Fred had maximum sustained winds near 80 miles per hour and that it was barely moving now. Moreover they now expect that Fred will weaken further and downgrade a category becoming a tropical storm by tonight.
In the past some hurricanes have caused serious damage to some Cuba hotels and part of the island’s tourism infrastructure, but the storms never cause an actual threat for human lives as the Cuban authorities always make sure of re-allocating all tourists and moving them away from dangerous sea locations. Similarly they do the same with people with poor housing conditions and homes made of wood. Very rarely is a human life lost on a hurricane in Cuba and when this happens is mostly on the countryside, most likely to people that aren’t indoors during the passing of the storm.
Even during a hurricane it is still very safe to be on a Cuba holiday as the passing of the hurricane usually doesn’t last longer than 3 to 6 hours and after such time has passed it is completely safe to come out again and enjoy the rest of any Cuba holiday, as the sun doesn’t take long to be back to shining in the sky.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...