Cuba holidays no longer threatened by Hurricane Fred
The Cuban Meteorological Institute released an advisory statement on Hurricane Fred last Wednesday 9th September 2009 to reassure citizens and potential travellers that the storm was losing strength and no longer posed a threat to Cuba
Those planning a Cuba holiday soon should not fear. Not if they want to avoid being greeted by tropical winds. According to a statement released by Cuba’s Meteorological Institute last Wednesday morning; Hurricane Fred seems to be slowing down in speed and decreasing in strength, now downgrading to become a Category Two Hurricane.
This storm no longer poses a threat to Cuba holidays, as models are now showing how the storm was gaining in intensity and taking a turn to the northwest in the following 12 to 24 hours, whilst slowing down from its current 13 miles per hour speed.
Meanwhile, the National Hurricane Center in Miami predicted Fred’s winds to reach 110 miles per hour later on and that over a five-day projection of its path the storm “will keep it over the open ocean until it loses steam”
Latest reports from today; 11th September 2009, have confirmed that Hurrican Fred is weakening far from land over the Atlantic, giving the all-clear to Cuba travel and representing a white flag for Cuba holidays. The National Hurricane Center in Miami said today that Hurricane Fred had maximum sustained winds near 80 miles per hour and that it was barely moving now. Moreover they now expect that Fred will weaken further and downgrade a category becoming a tropical storm by tonight.
In the past some hurricanes have caused serious damage to some Cuba hotels and part of the island’s tourism infrastructure, but the storms never cause an actual threat for human lives as the Cuban authorities always make sure of re-allocating all tourists and moving them away from dangerous sea locations. Similarly they do the same with people with poor housing conditions and homes made of wood. Very rarely is a human life lost on a hurricane in Cuba and when this happens is mostly on the countryside, most likely to people that aren’t indoors during the passing of the storm.
Even during a hurricane it is still very safe to be on a Cuba holiday as the passing of the hurricane usually doesn’t last longer than 3 to 6 hours and after such time has passed it is completely safe to come out again and enjoy the rest of any Cuba holiday, as the sun doesn’t take long to be back to shining in the sky.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...