Cuba holidays no longer threatened by Hurricane Fred
The Cuban Meteorological Institute released an advisory statement on Hurricane Fred last Wednesday 9th September 2009 to reassure citizens and potential travellers that the storm was losing strength and no longer posed a threat to Cuba
Those planning a Cuba holiday soon should not fear. Not if they want to avoid being greeted by tropical winds. According to a statement released by Cuba’s Meteorological Institute last Wednesday morning; Hurricane Fred seems to be slowing down in speed and decreasing in strength, now downgrading to become a Category Two Hurricane.
This storm no longer poses a threat to Cuba holidays, as models are now showing how the storm was gaining in intensity and taking a turn to the northwest in the following 12 to 24 hours, whilst slowing down from its current 13 miles per hour speed.
Meanwhile, the National Hurricane Center in Miami predicted Fred’s winds to reach 110 miles per hour later on and that over a five-day projection of its path the storm “will keep it over the open ocean until it loses steam”
Latest reports from today; 11th September 2009, have confirmed that Hurrican Fred is weakening far from land over the Atlantic, giving the all-clear to Cuba travel and representing a white flag for Cuba holidays. The National Hurricane Center in Miami said today that Hurricane Fred had maximum sustained winds near 80 miles per hour and that it was barely moving now. Moreover they now expect that Fred will weaken further and downgrade a category becoming a tropical storm by tonight.
In the past some hurricanes have caused serious damage to some Cuba hotels and part of the island’s tourism infrastructure, but the storms never cause an actual threat for human lives as the Cuban authorities always make sure of re-allocating all tourists and moving them away from dangerous sea locations. Similarly they do the same with people with poor housing conditions and homes made of wood. Very rarely is a human life lost on a hurricane in Cuba and when this happens is mostly on the countryside, most likely to people that aren’t indoors during the passing of the storm.
Even during a hurricane it is still very safe to be on a Cuba holiday as the passing of the hurricane usually doesn’t last longer than 3 to 6 hours and after such time has passed it is completely safe to come out again and enjoy the rest of any Cuba holiday, as the sun doesn’t take long to be back to shining in the sky.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...