Cuba holidays no longer threatened by Hurricane Fred
The Cuban Meteorological Institute released an advisory statement on Hurricane Fred last Wednesday 9th September 2009 to reassure citizens and potential travellers that the storm was losing strength and no longer posed a threat to Cuba
Those planning a Cuba holiday soon should not fear. Not if they want to avoid being greeted by tropical winds. According to a statement released by Cuba’s Meteorological Institute last Wednesday morning; Hurricane Fred seems to be slowing down in speed and decreasing in strength, now downgrading to become a Category Two Hurricane.
This storm no longer poses a threat to Cuba holidays, as models are now showing how the storm was gaining in intensity and taking a turn to the northwest in the following 12 to 24 hours, whilst slowing down from its current 13 miles per hour speed.
Meanwhile, the National Hurricane Center in Miami predicted Fred’s winds to reach 110 miles per hour later on and that over a five-day projection of its path the storm “will keep it over the open ocean until it loses steam”
Latest reports from today; 11th September 2009, have confirmed that Hurrican Fred is weakening far from land over the Atlantic, giving the all-clear to Cuba travel and representing a white flag for Cuba holidays. The National Hurricane Center in Miami said today that Hurricane Fred had maximum sustained winds near 80 miles per hour and that it was barely moving now. Moreover they now expect that Fred will weaken further and downgrade a category becoming a tropical storm by tonight.
In the past some hurricanes have caused serious damage to some Cuba hotels and part of the island’s tourism infrastructure, but the storms never cause an actual threat for human lives as the Cuban authorities always make sure of re-allocating all tourists and moving them away from dangerous sea locations. Similarly they do the same with people with poor housing conditions and homes made of wood. Very rarely is a human life lost on a hurricane in Cuba and when this happens is mostly on the countryside, most likely to people that aren’t indoors during the passing of the storm.
Even during a hurricane it is still very safe to be on a Cuba holiday as the passing of the hurricane usually doesn’t last longer than 3 to 6 hours and after such time has passed it is completely safe to come out again and enjoy the rest of any Cuba holiday, as the sun doesn’t take long to be back to shining in the sky.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...