Cuba holidays no longer threatened by Hurricane Fred
The Cuban Meteorological Institute released an advisory statement on Hurricane Fred last Wednesday 9th September 2009 to reassure citizens and potential travellers that the storm was losing strength and no longer posed a threat to Cuba
Those planning a Cuba holiday soon should not fear. Not if they want to avoid being greeted by tropical winds. According to a statement released by Cuba’s Meteorological Institute last Wednesday morning; Hurricane Fred seems to be slowing down in speed and decreasing in strength, now downgrading to become a Category Two Hurricane.
This storm no longer poses a threat to Cuba holidays, as models are now showing how the storm was gaining in intensity and taking a turn to the northwest in the following 12 to 24 hours, whilst slowing down from its current 13 miles per hour speed.
Meanwhile, the National Hurricane Center in Miami predicted Fred’s winds to reach 110 miles per hour later on and that over a five-day projection of its path the storm “will keep it over the open ocean until it loses steam”
Latest reports from today; 11th September 2009, have confirmed that Hurrican Fred is weakening far from land over the Atlantic, giving the all-clear to Cuba travel and representing a white flag for Cuba holidays. The National Hurricane Center in Miami said today that Hurricane Fred had maximum sustained winds near 80 miles per hour and that it was barely moving now. Moreover they now expect that Fred will weaken further and downgrade a category becoming a tropical storm by tonight.
In the past some hurricanes have caused serious damage to some Cuba hotels and part of the island’s tourism infrastructure, but the storms never cause an actual threat for human lives as the Cuban authorities always make sure of re-allocating all tourists and moving them away from dangerous sea locations. Similarly they do the same with people with poor housing conditions and homes made of wood. Very rarely is a human life lost on a hurricane in Cuba and when this happens is mostly on the countryside, most likely to people that aren’t indoors during the passing of the storm.
Even during a hurricane it is still very safe to be on a Cuba holiday as the passing of the hurricane usually doesn’t last longer than 3 to 6 hours and after such time has passed it is completely safe to come out again and enjoy the rest of any Cuba holiday, as the sun doesn’t take long to be back to shining in the sky.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 20th Sep
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...