Riviera Maya food festival attracts thousands of visitors
A food festival on Cancun's Riviera Maya is proving to be an amazing success attracting nearly 3000 visitors despite the fact of being in its first year. The Taste of Playa festival managed to gather a good deal of visitors from as far as Australia
The Taste of Playa festival proved to be a fantastic success, despite being in its first year, and attracted nearly three thousand visitors, including travellers from as far as Australia on their Riviera Maya holidays.
The culinary food festival took place on the seafront, Parque Fundadores, in Playa del Carmen in the Riviera Maya on September 5, 2009, and featured some of the area's most talented chefs, food merchants and restaurateurs.
Organiser of the event, Monica Hartlief, said:
"It's our first year. We really didn't know what to expect. I don't think any of us anticipated that the event would be this well attended."
Visitors to the festival included many people taking Riviera Maya holidays, including a large number of food lovers from all over the world who had come to taste the traditional Mexican delights on offer. With over 700 restaurants to choose from, festival goers, who stayed in nearby Riviera Maya hotels, were spoilt for choice with the variety of food combinations available.
The food festival was a bonus for visitors on Cancun holidays who were unaware of the event taking place during their stay. The aromas of the fusion of flavours soon enticed guests out of their Cancun hotels to the streets of the cosmopolitan city, Playa del Carmen. Visitors could witness the masters at work as local and international chefs presented their signature dishes and provided delicious samples to the locals and visitors on their Riviera holidays.
Plans are already underway for a 2010 festival and organisers are hopeful that the culinary event will vastly grow over the years attracting more people to the beautiful region and tourist hotspot. For more information on The Taste of Play festival, visit www.tasteofplaya.com
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Riviera Maya Browse all
Relish unlimited luxury on tap in Mexico's Riviera Maya at Dreams Tulum with a fantastic Suite Upgrade
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The resort is less than 15 minutes' taxi ride from the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere",
- Take advantage of a fantastic 5 tier room upgrade from a Deluxe Garden View Room to Premium Junior Suite Garden View
- Facilities include a private beach, two swimming pools with weekly pool parties, and beach and water volleyball courts
- Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa's Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive package allows access to its nine restaurants with no reservations required. There are also seven bars, including the Manatees swim-up pool bar.
Stay right next to the world's second largest coral reef, in an idyllic setting that's also been declared a National Park.
- You'll be fantastically placed within walking distance to Puerto Morales, a quaint fishing village
- The tranquil National Park and beachfront setting that boasts the world's second largest coral reef
- French, Mediterranean, Asian and Mexican delights will tempt your palate at the resort's array of restaurants
Exuding romance and adults-only exclusivity, this luxury retreat will pamper you from head to foot with its indulgent Unlimited Luxury concept.
- Unlimited-Luxury will give you the celebrity treatment with unlimited premium drinks and gourmet meals
- Black Friday Special: Exclusive rate reductions save £200 per person
- Relax and rejuvenate at the Breathless Spa by Pevonia with a wide range of pampering treatments on offer
- Have the time of your life with exciting parties and endless entertainment
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Make the beautiful Riviera Maya region of Mexico your home away from home and experience the coastal holiday you've...
Submit to the charms of the picturesque Riviera Maya as you spend eight days exploring this unique district in the...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. Set just south of the Yucatan Peninsula, this...
Take a trip to the Mayan Riviera and discover another side of Mother Nature you've never seen. Your two weeks in this...