Increase in Job Cuts at Jamaica Hotels
The recession is creating more and more damage to Jamaica's travel industry, after a statement announced that a reduction in staff members will take place at a Jamaica hotel. The Grand Bahia Principe has not yet revealed how many jobs will be cut
The ongoing recession is still very much affecting the travel industry and Jamaica hotels after a recent announcement stated that more staff members will be cut at a Spanish owned hotel. The Grand Bahia Principe, located near Runaway Bay, St Ann in Jamaica have not yet said how many jobs will be cut but there could be as many as 172 staff members losing their jobs.
The hotel was only opened last year and has since had to contend with issues from environmental agencies and the collapse of a large wall which killed two people. The 1900 room Spanish owned hotel has had problems with occupancy levels which is thought to be the main reason for the job cuts.
The news has come not long after another hotel, the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel in Negril, Westmoreland, announced that one of their properties has had to recently close down, which was also due to low occupancy levels. The hotel's plans to send 300 members of staff home were postponed after the company union intervened and an agreement has been made to wait 30 days to allow time to review the effects of the global recession.
Fewer people have been booking Jamaica holidays over the last year because of the economical crisis and as a result of this many Jamaica hotels and resorts are suffering financially. It is hoped that the opening of a new 700 room hotel in March next year, the Secrets Hotel and the Palmyra, will help find jobs for those who have recently been made unemployed.
Despite the recent bad news, tourism officials remain optimistic and it is hoped that as the world is slowly coming out of the recession, occupancy levels in hotels in Jamaica and hotels all over the world will see a significant rise in numbers and a boost in travel and tourism to the beautiful region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...