Increase in Job Cuts at Jamaica Hotels
The recession is creating more and more damage to Jamaica's travel industry, after a statement announced that a reduction in staff members will take place at a Jamaica hotel. The Grand Bahia Principe has not yet revealed how many jobs will be cut
The ongoing recession is still very much affecting the travel industry and Jamaica hotels after a recent announcement stated that more staff members will be cut at a Spanish owned hotel. The Grand Bahia Principe, located near Runaway Bay, St Ann in Jamaica have not yet said how many jobs will be cut but there could be as many as 172 staff members losing their jobs.
The hotel was only opened last year and has since had to contend with issues from environmental agencies and the collapse of a large wall which killed two people. The 1900 room Spanish owned hotel has had problems with occupancy levels which is thought to be the main reason for the job cuts.
The news has come not long after another hotel, the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel in Negril, Westmoreland, announced that one of their properties has had to recently close down, which was also due to low occupancy levels. The hotel's plans to send 300 members of staff home were postponed after the company union intervened and an agreement has been made to wait 30 days to allow time to review the effects of the global recession.
Fewer people have been booking Jamaica holidays over the last year because of the economical crisis and as a result of this many Jamaica hotels and resorts are suffering financially. It is hoped that the opening of a new 700 room hotel in March next year, the Secrets Hotel and the Palmyra, will help find jobs for those who have recently been made unemployed.
Despite the recent bad news, tourism officials remain optimistic and it is hoped that as the world is slowly coming out of the recession, occupancy levels in hotels in Jamaica and hotels all over the world will see a significant rise in numbers and a boost in travel and tourism to the beautiful region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Enjoy Exclusive April Offers with incredible savings
- A variety of water sports or leave your daily stress behind and relax with the magical spa services
- Luxury accommodations combined with breathtaking ocean views
- A wide selection of restaurants with international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to classic Jamaican fare
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Located in New Kingston, the Knutsford Court Hotel offers a laidback atmosphere within a beautiful tropical setting....