A Wealth of History - a Trip to Ras Al Khaimah
Duration: Half Day
Enjoy a cultural tour of Ras Al Khaimah during your holiday in Dubai. This fascinating excursion will reveal the highlights of this ancient town, in addition to famous archeological sites and diverse landscapes. This is a wonderful way to gain an insight into the rich natural and historic heritage of one of the UAE’s most interesting emirates.
Departing from Jumeirah Beach, we travel north from Dubai through the desert towards the heritage town of Ras Al Khaimah, which lies in the emirate of the same name. En route, we will stop off at the fascinating pre-Islamic excavation site of Ad Dur, located along the coast near the emirate of Umm Al Quwain. This famous archaeological site hosts the remains of what must have been the most important town in the region over 2000 years ago.
Excavations by European archaeologists have unearthed many interesting objects such as tombs, stone dwellings, large storage jars, pottery, coins, jewellery and Egyptian and Syrian glassware. Many of the artifacts are now displayed in the Umm al-Quwain Museum. We will also visit the historic Nader Shah Watchtower before continuing on through the fertile plains of Khatt Al Kharran. Here we will stop for a short break before visiting a date factory, where you will learn about the ancient tradition of date cultivation and the processing of these native fruits.
Our next stop is the National Museum of Ras Al Khaimah, which is housed within the former Ruler's office in an ancient fort. Here lies a large collection of archeological and ethnological artifacts that gives visitors a fascinating insight into Ras al-Khaimah's rich heritage and the daily lives of its people. Pearl diving, date agriculture, farming and fishing are just some of the traditional industries you will learn about in the various galleries, which host displays of documents, manuscripts, clothing, traditional weapons and discoveries from the earliest settlers to the late Islamic period.
After lunch, we drive onwards through Ras Al Khaimah's old town, passing the traditional souk and vegetable market. This beautiful city is renowned for its historic beauty and traditions, which have been maintained through the centuries. We make a brief photo stop at Shimal Hill before our final stop at the hilltop Al Dhayah Fort. This ancient structure was believed to have been built during the 16th century on the site of previous ancient structures. It was a strategic military tower in the 19th century, during which a battle took place between the local people and British forces.
The climb to the top of the fort will reward visitors with spectacular views of the Arabian Gulf, the imposing Hajar Mountain range and the lush palm gardens of Dhayah below. This is the perfect way to round of the trip before heading back to Dubai.
Dubai Holidays Browse all
Explore both Dubai and Abu Dhabi and stay at the five-star Hyatt Regency and Beach Rotana Hotel set in the heart of Abu Dhabi
- The hyatt regency is a Landmark hotel, centrally loacted in the heritage area of Deira, Dubai's historic district with stunning views over the city!
- The beach rotana has a great location with a private beach, beside a shopping mall and in the heart of the bustling city. It is 30 minutes from the airport
- At Hyatt regency there are incredible bars, clubs and restaurants right at the spot, including hip and trendy Sho Cho that's been taking Dubai's fashion set by storm
Enjoy an amazing twin-centre holiday combining the golden sands of Sri Lanka with the modern opulence of Arabic luxury in Dubai.
- Both hotels offer the finest quality facilities and amenities to suit guests of all ages
- While in Dubai escape to the tranquillity of SPA Asiana, the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate
- Sample authentic Sri Lankan cuisine at the Avani Kalutara Resort with Half-Board dining
Sun Island is an elegant and serene paradise in the Indian Ocean whilst Media Rotana is perfectly positioned for you to explore the wonders of Dubai.
- Both properties have restaurants that cover dishes from around the world
- Media Rotana is perfectly located in the centre of Dubai, within easy reach of shopping centres, the gold souk and Dubai's famous creek
- Sun Island lies in the South Ari Atoll, and is surrounded by wide beaches of fine sand and offshore waters that house underwater gardens full of marine life
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
Ideal Combination of Sea, Sand and Sights at Zilwa Attitude Hotel and Doubletree by Hilton al Barsha
- Experience traditional Mauritius with Zilwa Atittude Hotel being typical of Mauritian homes and paying tribute to local heritage
- Great culinary adventures await with live cooking restaurants, barbecues, traditional Indian and Thai cuisine just some of the restaurants available
- Many exquisite beaches including four beaches on two private islands in Mauritius and the famous Jumeirah Beach in Dubai
Both Kuredu Island and the Crowne Plaza offer fantastic luxury
- Kuredu has the first golf course in the maldives, a 6-hole par 3 course, located on the Eastern portion of the island with a full size driving range and floodlights
- Both properties have excellent service and stunning luxury facilities
- perfect location in the historic heart of Dubai within walking distance to main sights
Combine a trip to the laid back island of Phuket with a stay in the heart of the glamorous metropolitan that is Dubai....
If the sparkling blues of an Indian Ocean lagoon beckon you while the cosmopolitan allure of a strikingly modern city...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
One of the newest and most beautiful hotels to be gracing the sunkissed eastern shore of Mauritius in Palmar, the Ambre...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Treat yourself to a truly unique experience by combining two luxury hotels in one trip and discover the best of the...
Greeting guests with an ambience of contemporary luxury complimented by dramatic architecture and design, the Media...
The Hilton Abu Dhabi Hotel is set in lush surroundings overlooking the Corniche and the azure waters of the Arabian...
Panoramic views of the Rub al Khali Desert can be admired from this 4-star resort's infinity pool and sun-lounger...
This contemporary 4* hotel is centrally located in Al Barsha and provides easy access to the Sheikh Zayed Road and the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Dubai
Dubai NewsBrowse all Dubai News
As part of their Easter Campaign, the Dubai Tourist board has released two new promotional videos enticing travellers to take a sunny break from British weather's gloom and doom in always reliably radiant and cloud-free Dubai. While one video is aimed at freeing families from annoying clothing layers, the other one inspires young girls in search a fun, sun-filled escape.
Sales Executive from Emirates Airlines, Emma Colyer landed in The Holiday Place yesterday to bestow some seasonal cheer and update us all on the airlines' plans for 2017. After gifting us with some handy 2017 calendars she told us of the airline's introduction of brand new state-of-the-art plans and the retiring of the older models. We also chatted about increasing our cooperation links in destinations like Bali, Thailand and the Seychelles.
American reality TV star and Hilton Hotels and Resorts heiress, Paris Hilton, is planning to open new luxury hotels in Dubai, Las Vegas, and New York. According to Forbes business magazine, the new brand will be named after her first name and will not use the Hilton family name, and the inspiration behind the new business is from her recent collaborations with Century Properties in the Philippines and the launch of beach clubs.