A Wealth of History - a Trip to Ras Al Khaimah
Duration: Half Day
Enjoy a cultural tour of Ras Al Khaimah during your holiday in Dubai. This fascinating excursion will reveal the highlights of this ancient town, in addition to famous archeological sites and diverse landscapes. This is a wonderful way to gain an insight into the rich natural and historic heritage of one of the UAE’s most interesting emirates.
Departing from Jumeirah Beach, we travel north from Dubai through the desert towards the heritage town of Ras Al Khaimah, which lies in the emirate of the same name. En route, we will stop off at the fascinating pre-Islamic excavation site of Ad Dur, located along the coast near the emirate of Umm Al Quwain. This famous archaeological site hosts the remains of what must have been the most important town in the region over 2000 years ago.
Excavations by European archaeologists have unearthed many interesting objects such as tombs, stone dwellings, large storage jars, pottery, coins, jewellery and Egyptian and Syrian glassware. Many of the artifacts are now displayed in the Umm al-Quwain Museum. We will also visit the historic Nader Shah Watchtower before continuing on through the fertile plains of Khatt Al Kharran. Here we will stop for a short break before visiting a date factory, where you will learn about the ancient tradition of date cultivation and the processing of these native fruits.
Our next stop is the National Museum of Ras Al Khaimah, which is housed within the former Ruler's office in an ancient fort. Here lies a large collection of archeological and ethnological artifacts that gives visitors a fascinating insight into Ras al-Khaimah's rich heritage and the daily lives of its people. Pearl diving, date agriculture, farming and fishing are just some of the traditional industries you will learn about in the various galleries, which host displays of documents, manuscripts, clothing, traditional weapons and discoveries from the earliest settlers to the late Islamic period.
After lunch, we drive onwards through Ras Al Khaimah's old town, passing the traditional souk and vegetable market. This beautiful city is renowned for its historic beauty and traditions, which have been maintained through the centuries. We make a brief photo stop at Shimal Hill before our final stop at the hilltop Al Dhayah Fort. This ancient structure was believed to have been built during the 16th century on the site of previous ancient structures. It was a strategic military tower in the 19th century, during which a battle took place between the local people and British forces.
The climb to the top of the fort will reward visitors with spectacular views of the Arabian Gulf, the imposing Hajar Mountain range and the lush palm gardens of Dhayah below. This is the perfect way to round of the trip before heading back to Dubai.
Dubai Holidays Browse all
Explore paradise on Earth in Bali before a breath-taking stay in Dubai
- Take advantage of one of the numerous room offers & restaurant deals offered by the Mövenpick Hotel Jumeirah Lakes Towers including family getaways, business deals and much more
- Between excursions, guests at Mövenpick Resort & Spa Jimbaran Bali can refresh in the multi-level swimming pool with various activity zones
- Stroll along the beach just steps from the resort in Bali, discover hidden coves and world-class surfing along the coast
Enjoy an amazing twin-centre holiday combining the golden sands of Sri Lanka with the modern opulence of Arabic luxury in Dubai.
- Both hotels offer the finest quality facilities and amenities to suit guests of all ages
- While in Dubai escape to the tranquillity of SPA Asiana, the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate
- Sample authentic Sri Lankan cuisine at the Avani Kalutara Resort with Half-Board dining
Ideal Combination of Sea, Sand and Sights at Zilwa Attitude Hotel and Doubletree by Hilton al Barsha
- Experience traditional Mauritius with Zilwa Atittude Hotel being typical of Mauritian homes and paying tribute to local heritage
- Great culinary adventures await with live cooking restaurants, barbecues, traditional Indian and Thai cuisine just some of the restaurants available
- Many exquisite beaches including four beaches on two private islands in Mauritius and the famous Jumeirah Beach in Dubai
Mauritius' longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Longbeach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist and an elegant 5* Hotel offering luxurious accommodation in the heart of the City of Dubai
- Take some time to enjoy the spa treatments on offer at the Auris Plaza Spa with plenty of variety in methods
- Both hotels feature perfect location, great dining facilities and free Wi-FI. This twin-centre suites both couples and families
- Long Beach is a great place to gravitate to in the evenings, to eat from a selction of tastes from around the world
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
The perfect location to discover the beauty of Mauritius and experience the luxury of Dubai
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha offers luxurious accommodation as all rooms have an HD TV with Wi-fi as well as opulent bathrooms facilities to make it a comfortable stay
- Add an excursion package (a half-day Dubai city tour, aÂ desert safari and a ÂDhow cruise experience) for Â£99 more per person
- Enjoy a luxury and comfortable stay at Sofitel So in a Lushury Room including a private garden with open air bathtub
This 7 nights tour is the perfect introduction to the wonders of India's 'Golden Triangle'. This area is home to the...
Veranda Palmar Beach Resort is set in lush tropical gardens that lead down to an endless stretch of white sandy beach on...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
Combine an enchanting beach break in idyllic Mauritius with a faster-paced Middle Eastern city exuding glamour and style...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
This contemporary 4* hotel is centrally located in Al Barsha and provides easy access to the Sheikh Zayed Road and the...
Treat yourself to a truly unique experience by combining two luxury hotels in one trip and discover the best of the...
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...
Greeting guests with an ambience of contemporary luxury complimented by dramatic architecture and design, the Media...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Dubai
Dubai NewsBrowse all Dubai News
As part of their Easter Campaign, the Dubai Tourist board has released two new promotional videos enticing travellers to take a sunny break from British weather's gloom and doom in always reliably radiant and cloud-free Dubai. While one video is aimed at freeing families from annoying clothing layers, the other one inspires young girls in search a fun, sun-filled escape.
Sales Executive from Emirates Airlines, Emma Colyer landed in The Holiday Place yesterday to bestow some seasonal cheer and update us all on the airlines' plans for 2017. After gifting us with some handy 2017 calendars she told us of the airline's introduction of brand new state-of-the-art plans and the retiring of the older models. We also chatted about increasing our cooperation links in destinations like Bali, Thailand and the Seychelles.
American reality TV star and Hilton Hotels and Resorts heiress, Paris Hilton, is planning to open new luxury hotels in Dubai, Las Vegas, and New York. According to Forbes business magazine, the new brand will be named after her first name and will not use the Hilton family name, and the inspiration behind the new business is from her recent collaborations with Century Properties in the Philippines and the launch of beach clubs.