Fond D'Or Nature Historic Park - St Lucia Heritage
Duration: Half Day
Located in the Eastern Caribbean, the stunning island nation of St Lucia is blessed with breathtaking natural beauty – from its pristine white-sand beaches and crystalline waters to lush tropical forests and spectacular waterfalls. One of the best ways to discover its hidden treasures is to take an organised hiking tour with an experienced guide. This memorable adventure will take you to Fond d'Or Nature Historic Park, where you will be surrounded by nature’s wonders as you visit historical sights and look out for leatherback turtles and other endemic wildlife in paradise surroundings.
Nestled in the heart of Mabouya Valley on the east coast of St. Lucia, the beautiful Fond D'Or Nature Reserve and Heritage Park is steeped in history, culture and mythology. The park was first settled by the island’s indigenous, pre-Colombian Amerindian inhabitants, and was later used by European sugar planters to establish a sugar cane plantation. The Amerindian site is of great anthropological, archaeological, and educational value as traces of their life can still be seen here, whilst the colonial industrial artifacts give visitors a fascinating insight into the prosperous sugar age. Various historic plantation buildings dating between the 17th and 19th centuries are located here, including the ruins of two cattle mills, a windmill, boiling house, steam mill and various other ancient relics.
Fond D'Or Nature Reserve is also renowned for its breathtaking natural beauty, and you will discover many hidden gems during your walk. Following a hiking trail through an estuarine tropical forest, mangroves and dry scrub woodlands, your guide will point out the endemic flora and fauna of the reserve as there are many birds, animals and plants to see here. We eventually reach a secluded, white sandy beach, which is used as a nesting site for leatherback turtles between April and October every year. Turtle watching is one of the park’s most popular activities.
After a brief stop here, we continue onwards to the Interpretation Centre and Museum for lunch and relaxation before driving to the beautiful Latille Waterfall on the edge of the rainforest. Surrounded by lush green vegetation, this spectacular twenty-foot waterfall cascades into a deep, natural swimming pool below. The site can be accessed through a serene tropical garden, which is adorned with fruit trees, colourful flowers, scenic trails and ponds. Not to be missed during your holiday in St Lucia, this tour is a wonderful introduction to the rich history and wildlife of the island.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Enjoy breathtaking sunsets and blue sparkling waters of the Caribbean Sea at two beautiful all-inclusive St Lucia resort
Fantastic amenities, personalised services, and an endless range of activities for the whole family at St James Club, Morgan Bay, and Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa.
- Benefit from All-Inclusive programmes at both hotels, and enjoy a variety of complimentary activities, delicious meals at the restaurants, and a variety of entertainment for the whole family.
- Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa a free access to the largest waterpark in St Lucia, featuring five swimming pools, two waterslides, and a lazy river.
- Being close to Cap Estate Golf Course, capital city of Castries, and the world-class Rodney bay Marina, St James Club Morgan Bay Resort is a perfect base for exploring the island
Discover Antigua's prestine Beaches at St James's Club and Villas then St Lucia's Vibrant Culture at St James's Club, Morgan Bay
- This combined holiday includes All Inclusive at both properties and all of your flights and transfers
- St James's Club Morgan Bay is situated minutes from the world famous Rodney Bay marina and Gros Islet
- St James's Club and Villas boasts breathtaking ocean views on a private 100-acre peninsula
Make the most of the elegance surrounding two stunning hotels, The Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spa and Bel Jou St. Lucia
- Take as much time as you need to rejuvenate in Bel Jou's fresh water pool
- Bel Jou St Lucia is the ultimate adults-only paradise - perfect for couples, singles, and friends alike
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spa boasts in interesting charm of Mediterranean ambience blended with the lush tropical beauty of the Caribbean
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Experience an ultra tranquil Caribbean twin centre getaway at beautiful St Lucia and picturesque Antigua
This holiday has been hand picked to ensure a holiday like no other offering ultimate relaxation and memories to last a lifetime
- Enjoy stunning views from The Verandah Resort and Spa, set on 30 beachfront acres in an idyllic bay on the unspoilt northeast coast of Antigua
- Rendezvous is for couples only, providing a haven of peace and relaxation, away from the hustle and bustle of many of the big resorts. It can be as intimate as couples require
- This holiday has been carefully selected to offer ultimate romance and relaxation for those looking for the ultimate Caribbean getaway
Double the Sun and Double the Sand in Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia and Sandals Grande Antigua Resort and Spa
Start your journey with a vibrant and colourful Morgan Bay. Located just minutes away from magnificent Rodney Bay...
St James's Club & Villas sits on a private 100 acre peninsula with breathtaking ocean views and white sand beaches. This...
Tucked away in a pristine cove on the west coast of St Lucia, the St James's Club, Morgan Bay, St Lucia (formerly Morgan...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Rendezvous - The Boutique Hotel for couples. Escape to a romantic hideaway at Rendezvous on the beautiful island of St...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
Winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence (2013), Bay Gardens Hotel is located in the heart of St. Lucia, at...
Located in Saint Lucia's prime tourist area of Rodney Bay Village, Bay Gardens Inn offers a wide range of dining and...
Set in the heart of Rodney Bay Village, home to St. Lucia’s best beaches and entertainment capital, Coco Palm...
Located on one of the most beautiful beaches in St Lucia, Bay Gardens Beach Resort offers an enchanting mix of natural...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
The island of St Lucia has unveiled a new look for its logo and brand. The new brand focuses on its natural beauty, culture, tropical landscapes, and friendly, hospitable locals. The new tagline for the Caribbean island is 'Saint Lucia, LET HER INSPIRE YOU', and it will be rolled out across various international marketing campaigns over the coming months.
The Caribbean island of St Lucia will introduce a new Food and Rum Festival to its Soleil festival series. Running from 12-14 January 2018, the island’s first ever celebration of St Lucian food and rum will feature celebrity chefs, special menus, demos and shows, plus the inaugural Caribbean Rum Awards.
Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain resorts in St Lucia have once again been recognised for their exception environmental efforts. The two luxury resorts have been awarded Travelife Gold Certification status. The properties have been praised for managing their socio-economic and environmental impacts, while demonstrating their commitment to the environment, sustainability, and the local community.