Fond D'Or Nature Historic Park - St Lucia Heritage
Duration: Half Day
Located in the Eastern Caribbean, the stunning island nation of St Lucia is blessed with breathtaking natural beauty – from its pristine white-sand beaches and crystalline waters to lush tropical forests and spectacular waterfalls. One of the best ways to discover its hidden treasures is to take an organised hiking tour with an experienced guide. This memorable adventure will take you to Fond d'Or Nature Historic Park, where you will be surrounded by nature’s wonders as you visit historical sights and look out for leatherback turtles and other endemic wildlife in paradise surroundings.
Nestled in the heart of Mabouya Valley on the east coast of St. Lucia, the beautiful Fond D'Or Nature Reserve and Heritage Park is steeped in history, culture and mythology. The park was first settled by the island’s indigenous, pre-Colombian Amerindian inhabitants, and was later used by European sugar planters to establish a sugar cane plantation. The Amerindian site is of great anthropological, archaeological, and educational value as traces of their life can still be seen here, whilst the colonial industrial artifacts give visitors a fascinating insight into the prosperous sugar age. Various historic plantation buildings dating between the 17th and 19th centuries are located here, including the ruins of two cattle mills, a windmill, boiling house, steam mill and various other ancient relics.
Fond D'Or Nature Reserve is also renowned for its breathtaking natural beauty, and you will discover many hidden gems during your walk. Following a hiking trail through an estuarine tropical forest, mangroves and dry scrub woodlands, your guide will point out the endemic flora and fauna of the reserve as there are many birds, animals and plants to see here. We eventually reach a secluded, white sandy beach, which is used as a nesting site for leatherback turtles between April and October every year. Turtle watching is one of the park’s most popular activities.
After a brief stop here, we continue onwards to the Interpretation Centre and Museum for lunch and relaxation before driving to the beautiful Latille Waterfall on the edge of the rainforest. Surrounded by lush green vegetation, this spectacular twenty-foot waterfall cascades into a deep, natural swimming pool below. The site can be accessed through a serene tropical garden, which is adorned with fruit trees, colourful flowers, scenic trails and ponds. Not to be missed during your holiday in St Lucia, this tour is a wonderful introduction to the rich history and wildlife of the island.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Bridgetown and Rodney Bay - Two popular Caribbean resorts offering culture, food and fun
- Stay at Coconut Court Beach hotel and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Amazing Twin Centre Package with flights and transfers included
- Bay Gardens Hotel is Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views plus its famed Splash Water Park
Make the most of the elegance surrounding two hotels, Island Inn Hotel and Bel Jou St. Lucia
- Island Inn is located in the South Coast of Barbados near to many entertainment, restaurants, bars and Pebble Beach
- Bel Jou St Lucia is the ultimate adults-only paradise - perfect for couples, singles, and friends alike
- Enjoy All Inclusive perks at both hotels in Barbados and St Lucia
The ideal combination for the perfect St Lucian experience - discover the island's entertainment hub of the North and enjoy the serene tranquillity of the South.
- Enjoy the water park and dine around concept available at Bay Gardens Hotel
- Discover Rodney Bay and the numerous shops, bars and the beautiful Reduit Beach
- Experience the water park attraction at Coconut Bay Resort or rejuvenate at the Kai Mer Spa
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday at Morgan Bay and Mango Bay
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Take a break in the Caribbean sun where you can relax soak up the beaming sun or take part in the abundance of activities on offer
- Guests can enjoy wide range of activities at Anse Chastanet Resort such as swimming, hiking, snorkelling and much more
- Relax and rejuvenate in the state of the art spa at Rendezvous , indulge yourself in one of the various wonderful treatments on offer
- Both resorts offer individually designed rooms specifically made to make guests feel at home in Caribbean luxury
Double the Sun and Double the Sand in Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia and Sandals Grande Antigua Resort and Spa
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Start your journey with a vibrant and colourful Morgan Bay. Located just minutes away from magnificent Rodney Bay...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Tucked away in a pristine cove on the west coast of St Lucia, the St James's Club, Morgan Bay, St Lucia (formerly Morgan...
Set in the heart of Rodney Bay Village, home to St. Lucia’s best beaches and entertainment capital, Coco Palm...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
Winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence (2013), Bay Gardens Hotel is located in the heart of St. Lucia, at...
Located in Saint Lucia's prime tourist area of Rodney Bay Village, Bay Gardens Inn offers a wide range of dining and...
Located on one of the most beautiful beaches in St Lucia, Bay Gardens Beach Resort offers an enchanting mix of natural...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
St Lucia Tourism Authority has revamped its online travel agent training program to simplify the structure and create a go-to information hub for destination sales and marketing. The Saint Lucia Expert program includes new modules on niche holiday types and fresh incentives for selling the Caribbean island.
Welcoming summer in style, the Saint Lucia Tourism Authority has just launched the Summer of Discovery campaign, giving holidaymakers amazing opportunities to save on a St Lucia holiday with discounts of up to 65 per cent on hotel bookings and a competition that will give travellers the chance to win $10,000 (£7,500)!
The luxurious Cap Maison in St Lucia will be celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, and to mark the occasion, the resort has created four exclusive drinks. Using local ingredients, the resort has produced an exclusive ale, rum, rum punch and red wine. In October, the luxurious resort will host a special three-day event to celebrate a decade in business.