Jamaica Day Trip from Cayo Coco
Duration: Full Day
If you want to experience the beauty of other Caribbean islands during your holiday in Cuba, a day trip to Jamaica is highly recommended. After flying to Montego Bay on Jamaica’s north coast, enjoy a tour of the city before travelling onwards to the spectacular Dunn's River Falls. This unique tour will give you a taste of the Jamaican culture and exquisite natural beauty.
Affectionately known as 'MoBay' by the locals and regular visitors, Montego Bay is the centre of Jamaica’s tourism industry and the second-largest city outside Kingston. The stunning coastline boasts miles of pristine white sandy beaches and sparkling turquoise lagoons, and there is a wide range of excursions and activities for visitors to choose from. It is no wonder that Montego Bay ranks highly as one of the best resort destinations in the Caribbean.
If you can drag yourself away from the glorious beaches, the city itself has much to offer. Whilst Montego Bay’s long history dates back to 1494 when Christopher Columbus first set foot on Jamaica’s sandy shores, the city was founded slightly later by the Spanish in 1510. It later became a major shipping port for sugar and bananas during the 18th and 19th century under British colonial rule. Explore both the modern and ancient city streets, which are crowded, colourful and lively.
Despite being noisy and untidy in parts, the city still retains its Caribbean charm. Your local guide will point out areas of interest throughout the tour. Unfortunately, most of the original buildings were destroyed by the Spanish when they were forced out by the British, but some historic relics remain. The elegant Georgian houses give you an insight into the city’s rich colonial heritage, whilst modern hotels and buildings reflect the success of this thriving commercial centre. Enjoy free time for duty-free shopping in the trendy Gloucester Avenue, or browse the bustling street markets for gifts and souvenirs on Harbour Street. Shopping in Jamaica is an experience not to be missed.
We leave the hustle and bustle of the city behind as we make our way to the tranquil Dunn's River Falls. Set within a lush tropical rainforest near Ocho Rios, this magnificent waterfall is one of the island’s most beautiful national treasures and a premier tourist attraction. Starting from the sandy beach at the base of the falls, visitors can climb right to the top of Dunn’s River Falls by holding hands and forming a human chain led by experienced guides.
Watching water cascading down this 600ft vertical limestone rock formation and splashing into the ocean below is an unforgettable sight. On the way up, you can also enjoy spectacular views of the forest canopy, rock formations and natural lagoons. Swim in the refreshing plunge pools, which have formed naturally in the rocks from the force of the river current, or stop and take photos of the lush tropical surroundings.
The less adventurous can walk along the side of the waterfall, whilst others can enjoy the soothing effects of the water at the “massage parlour” as it plummets down into the Caribbean Sea. This paradise location is one of the most photographed sites in Jamaica, and it has also been featured in the first James Bond film Dr No and countless other films since.
A wonderful addition to your holiday in Cuba, this exhilarating adventure will prove popular with travellers of all ages.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, room upgrade and more
- Enjoy a full range of Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.
Three beautiful sandy stretches in the Caribbean have been named in TripAdvisor’s annual list of the world’s best beaches as part of the 2017 Travellers' Choice Awards. Playa Paraiso in Cuba, Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos, and Eagle Beach in Aruba were all listed among the top five beaches, with Brazil’s remote Baia do Sancho beach scooping the top spot.