Crop Over - Barbados Soul
Duration: Half Day
Watch Barbados' culture come to life during the island’s famous Crop Over Festival, a vibrant annual carnival that celebrates the end of the local sugar cane harvest through art, music and dance. Taking place in Bridgetown during the summer months, this colourful event lasts for around five weeks and attracts thousands of visitors from all over the world. Not to be missed during your holiday in Barbados, this is a Caribbean festival unlike any other.
The Crop Over Festival’s origins can be traced back to the late 18th century when Barbados was the world's largest producer of sugar. At the end of the sugar cane season, a huge celebration took place to mark the culmination of a successful sugar cane harvest and the end of the gruelling field-work, which became known as the ‘Crop Over’ celebration. Over the years, this fun-filled Barbadian folk festival has increased dramatically in size and popularity, and is now regarded as one of the biggest cultural events in the Caribbean.
There are plenty of exciting events to interest both adults and children, but the festivities mainly centre around local food, music and dance. Through this, visitors can gain an insight into Barbadian culture, which is a unique blend of West African heritage and British cultural traditions. Over time, the festival has become a fusion of the old and modern elements of Barbadian culture, which makes it even more exciting to watch. Soak up the party atmosphere as thousands of revellers fill the streets dressed in elaborate, brightly-coloured costumes, dancing energetically behind trucks playing steel-pan and calypso music.
Calypso is a large part of the festival, and competitions take place daily to judge performances on commentary and choice of songs. You won’t be able to stop yourself getting caught up in all the fun. Other festival highlights include folk concerts, art and photo exhibitions, market stalls, rum making, live bands and much more besides. Barbadians certainly know how to throw a party.
When the festivities subside, make your way downtown to see the impressive St. Michael's Cathedral. This beautiful coral-stoned structure was erected in 1786 after previous structures were destroyed by hurricanes. The graveyard is the resting place of several important Barbadians. Across the road you can visit National Heroes Square, where you will see an early 19th century statue of Lord Horatio Nelson and a memorial to the Barbadians killed in the two World Wars, as well as a fountain that commemorates the first piped water in Bridgetown.
Many other historic landmarks can be viewed throughout the capital, so take time to explore the city at your leisure so you don’t miss a thing.
Barbados Holidays Browse all
The charm of Barbados with the Serenity of Grenada with this twin-centre package to Bougainvillea Barbados and Coyaba Beach Resort
- Upgrade your meal plans at both options for extra value
- Great Value package at Two highly rated properties
- Staying at Bougainvillea Barbados you are minutes from the popular St Lawrence Gap and Oistins
- At Coyaba Beach Resort you are footsteps from Grenada's signature Grande Anse Beach
Experience the best of the infamously beautiful beaches of the Caribbean with your stay in Barbados and Grenada
Enjoy your time in the Caribbean with a stay at two incredible Radisson resorts – sure to please even the most discerning of travellers
- Radisson Grenada Beach Resort is home to the island’s only free form swimming pool, complete with waterfalls
- Guests are able to dine in true style at the Radisson Aquatica Resort with themed dinner nights and beautiful beach backdrops
- Discover the best of Caribbean cultures during these holidays with central locations and a complimentary shuttle bus to Bridgetown at the Radisson Aquatica Resort
Escape to the sunny shore of the Caribbean with a holiday in gorgeous Grenada and beautiful Barbados
Enjoy the boutique charm of True Blue Bay Boutique, Grenada, before heading to the Rostrevor Hotel
- Rostrevor is a great hotel with a prime beachfront location in St. Lawrence Gap, bustling with things for you to do on your holidays
- Make the most of free beach transfers and free activities during your stay at True Blue Bay
- Enjoy free Wi-Fi at both the Rostrevor Hotel and True Blue Bay
Combine Pineapple Beach Club, Antigua and The Club Barbados to truly experience the best of the Caribbean
- The Club Barbados Resort and Spa offers an abundance of activites, a friendly social atmosphere and an excellent base for Barbados
- Pineapple beach offers stunning Beachfront views on 30 acres
- Combined Laid Back, Adults Only, All Inclusive Resorts with plenty of activites to do and nearby attractions to enjoy
Experience the charm of two Islands with a stay in Barbados and Antigua
Relax and unwind at the wonderful Hodges Bay Resort by Elegant Hotels in Antigua and Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels in Barbados
- Swim through a waterfall during your stay at Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels and reward yourself with a refreshing drink at The Cave bar after your swim
- Make the most of an extensive range of facilities at Hodges Bay by Elegant Hotels, including a deluxe spa, water sports, 3 pools, tropical gardens, and much more
- Discover a number of Caribbean charms including Barbados' famous west coast and Antigua's calm waters and coral reefs
Like many other Antigua hotels, the Rex Halcyon Cove Hotel is situated right on a stunning stretch of pristine beach, so...
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Informal and fun, Pineapple Beach Club is an Adults Only All Inclusive relaxing holiday destination. This hotel...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
You can enjoy all the aspects of the charming island of Barbados, at the elegant Worthing Court located near all the...
Come and soak up the sun with two great value hotels that offer something for families and couples. Starting with...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Set in 37 acres of landscaped tropical gardens, the Hawksbill by Rex Resorts is a special little Caribbean hideaway that...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Barbados
Barbados NewsBrowse all Barbados News
As a Barbadian, born and raised, it’s not the first time Rihanna speaks candidly about her native Caribbean island. This time, the chart-topping singer has spoken to Conde Nast Traveller to reveal her favourite places in Barbados, from her hometown to the best seafood, the liveliest nightlife, top bars and the biggest street party of the year.
Now in its second year, the celebration of Dive Fest Barbados 2018 seeks to raise awareness about the protection of the Caribbean island's reefs. The upcoming event to be celebrated next month wants to sing the praises of Barbados' excellent diving sites whilst at the same time highlighting the challenges it faces in order to preserve a healthy fish and coral population.
The Elegant Hotels Group has announced the opening of Treasure Beach, following a $10.5 million renovation project. The luxury hotel is located on the west coast of Barbados and offers an adults-only experience with 35 one-bedroom suites, and facilities including a swimming pool and Tapestry, the onsite restaurant. The property is the seventh hotel to join the company’s collection.