Harrison Caves - Barbados Treasures
Duration: Half Day
Barbados is renowned for its outstanding natural treasures, which incorporate paradise white-sand beaches, crystal clear azure waters, lush valleys, gardens, mountains and much more besides, but one of the island’s most spectacular geological features is Harrison’s Cave. This tour will reveal the majesty of this unique attraction as you travel through the cave on an electric tram. Prepare yourself for many unexpected delights on the way.
Located in the middle of the island in St. Thomas Parish, Harrison’s Cave is named after Thomas Harrison, who owned much of the land in the area during the early 1700s. Although several expeditions ventured into Harrison’s Cave during the 18th and 19th centuries, access was difficult so the cave remained largely unexplored until 1970. Your knowledgeable tour guides will reveal the history of Harrison’s Cave during your journey, and how this awe-inspiring natural phenomenon was created.
Listed as one of the “Seven Wonder of Barbados”, this extensive limestone cave system is famous for its amazing stalactites and stalagmites, which have formed over thousands of years from the calcium-rich waters that run through the caves. Stalactites hang from the roof of the cave whilst stalagmites rise from the ground, but in some places they meet to form spectacular solid pillars. The different colours, shapes and sizes are incredible.
To help preserve this unique subterranean environment, visitors travel through the cave tunnels via an electric tram, although you can disembark on the way to view these spectacular wonders up close and take photos. No touching is allowed, however, because the natural oils from human skin can slow or even stop the formation of these unique structures.
The main highlight of the trip is the vast, cathedral-like cavern named “The Great Hall", which measures over 50 feet in height and is covered with thousands of stalactites and stalagmites. Photos are permitted but it will be difficult to truly capture its beauty. The tram then stops at "The Village", where you can see incredible formations that have joined together to create magnificent columns over time.
During the ride you will also see beautiful underwater lakes, a 40ft waterfall and crystal clear streams and pools. Listening to nothing but the rushing of the water through the caves heightens the senses and enhances this magical experience. Just watch out for drips from the walls and ceilings! This incredible journey deep beneath the earth is definitely one experience not to miss during your holiday in Barbados.
Barbados Holidays Browse all
This hand picked twin centre perfectly combines two deluxe hotels in two amazing locaitons for an unmissable holiday
- Grenadian by Rex Resorts has a unique location on 2 broad sandy beaches. one relaxing beach and the other a watersports paradise
- The friendly Worthing Court has a wonderful location beautifully nestled on Barbados' pristine south coast
- Barbados and Grenada are two of the most amazing islands in Caribbean and you will be spending your time split between the destinations for a truly great holiday
The charm of Barbados with the Serenity of Grenada with this twin-centre package to Bougainvillea Barbados and Coyaba Beach Resort
- Upgrade your meal plans at both options for extra value
- Great Value package at Two highly rated properties
- Staying at Bougainvillea Barbados you are minutes from the popular St Lawrence Gap and Oistins
- At Coyaba Beach Resort you are footsteps from Grenada's signature Grande Anse Beach
Escape to the sunny shore of the Caribbean with a holiday in gorgeous Grenada and beautiful Barbados
Enjoy the boutique charm of True Blue Bay Boutique, Grenada, before heading to the Rostrevor Hotel
- Rostrevor is a great hotel with a prime beachfront location in St. Lawrence Gap, bustling with things for you to do on your holidays
- Make the most of free beach transfers and free activities during your stay at True Blue Bay
- Enjoy free Wi-Fi at both the Rostrevor Hotel and True Blue Bay
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday at Morgan Bay and Mango Bay
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Combine Pineapple Beach Club, Antigua and The Club Barbados to truly experience the best of the Caribbean
- The Club Barbados Resort and Spa offers an abundance of activites, a friendly social atmosphere and an excellent base for Barbados
- Pineapple beach offers stunning Beachfront views on 30 acres
- Combined Laid Back, Adults Only, All Inclusive Resorts with plenty of activites to do and nearby attractions to enjoy
Experience the charm of two Islands with a stay in Barbados and Antigua
Like many other Antigua hotels, the Rex Halcyon Cove Hotel is situated right on a stunning stretch of pristine beach, so...
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Informal and fun, Pineapple Beach Club is an Adults Only All Inclusive relaxing holiday destination. This hotel...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
You can enjoy all the aspects of the charming island of Barbados, at the elegant Worthing Court located near all the...
Come and soak up the sun with two great value hotels that offer something for families and couples. Starting with...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Set in 37 acres of landscaped tropical gardens, the Hawksbill by Rex Resorts is a special little Caribbean hideaway that...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Barbados
Barbados NewsBrowse all Barbados News
As a Barbadian, born and raised, it’s not the first time Rihanna speaks candidly about her native Caribbean island. This time, the chart-topping singer has spoken to Conde Nast Traveller to reveal her favourite places in Barbados, from her hometown to the best seafood, the liveliest nightlife, top bars and the biggest street party of the year.
Now in its second year, the celebration of Dive Fest Barbados 2018 seeks to raise awareness about the protection of the Caribbean island's reefs. The upcoming event to be celebrated next month wants to sing the praises of Barbados' excellent diving sites whilst at the same time highlighting the challenges it faces in order to preserve a healthy fish and coral population.
The Elegant Hotels Group has announced the opening of Treasure Beach, following a $10.5 million renovation project. The luxury hotel is located on the west coast of Barbados and offers an adults-only experience with 35 one-bedroom suites, and facilities including a swimming pool and Tapestry, the onsite restaurant. The property is the seventh hotel to join the company’s collection.