Drax Hall - Barbados Colonial Past
Duration: Half Day
Learn about Barbados’ fascinating colonial past on this unique tour of Drax Hall, the oldest surviving Jacobean mansion in the Western Hemisphere. Step back in time to the 17th century when sugar cane was first cultivated on the island, and imagine the grandeur of this old plantation house in its prime. This excursion is an ideal way to gain an insight into Barbados’ rich heritage.
It is believed that Drax Hall was built sometime in the 1650's by wealthy brothers William and James Drax, who made their fortune in sugar. However, there is some uncertainty as to whether it was actually built by Henry Drax, James’s son, who was reputedly the richest planter in Barbados at the time. Located in the beautiful parish of St George in the middle of the island, Drax Hall is one of the earliest, biggest and wealthiest sugar plantations in Barbados.
The well-preserved, coral-stone house is a fine example of classic Jacobean architecture, with its steep red gable roof, coral-stone corner finials, casement gable windows and grand Jacobean staircase, which boasts a beautiful hall archway carved from mastic wood. Only three of these 17th century Jacobean mansions exist in the Western World today and the plantation is of great importance to historians and architectural buffs. The house is still owned, though not lived in, by the Drax family today. Unfortunately, it is not open to the public, but the exterior is certainly worth seeing nonetheless.
Sugar cane was first cultivated commercially at Drax Hall in 1642, and the estate still remains a working plantation today. On the tour, visitors can watch a film about daily life on Bajan sugar plantations and how the cane was cultivated by African slaves. You will also learn how the planters and merchants prospered from this precious “white gold” during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries as the demand for sugar, molasses and rum increased from Britain and the rest of the ‘Old World’ (Europe, Asia and Africa).
If you want to discover more about the history of the sugar industry during your holiday in Barbados, don’t miss the chance to visit other important relics from the plantation days, including the 18th century Morgan Lewis Mill at St Andrew, one of only two restored sugar mills in the Caribbean, and the ruins of the 18th century Farley Hill great house in Farley Hill National Park.
Barbados Holidays Browse all
Bridgetown and Rodney Bay - Two popular Caribbean resorts offering culture, food and fun
- Stay at Coconut Court Beach hotel and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Amazing Twin Centre Package with flights and transfers included
- Bay Gardens Hotel is Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views plus its famed Splash Water Park
The charm of Barbados with the Serenity of Grenada with this twin-centre package to Bougainvillea Barbados and Coyaba Beach Resort
- Upgrade your meal plans at both options for extra value
- Great Value package at Two highly rated properties
- Staying at Bougainvillea Barbados you are minutes from the popular St Lawrence Gap and Oistins
- At Coyaba Beach Resort you are footsteps from Grenada's signature Grande Anse Beach
Make the most of the elegance surrounding two hotels, Island Inn Hotel and Bel Jou St. Lucia
- Island Inn is located in the South Coast of Barbados near to many entertainment, restaurants, bars and Pebble Beach
- Bel Jou St Lucia is the ultimate adults-only paradise - perfect for couples, singles, and friends alike
- Enjoy All Inclusive perks at both hotels in Barbados and St Lucia
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday at Morgan Bay and Mango Bay
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Combine Pineapple Beach Club, Antigua and The Club Barbados to truly experience the best of the Caribbean
- The Club Barbados Resort and Spa offers an abundance of activites, a friendly social atmosphere and an excellent base for Barbados
- Pineapple beach offers stunning Beachfront views on 30 acres
- Combined Laid Back, Adults Only, All Inclusive Resorts with plenty of activites to do and nearby attractions to enjoy
Couples delight in the form of Two of Sandal's most prestigious properties
- Complimentary transfers included for both hotels
- All Included, All Unlimited, All the time from meals, drinks, water sports and lands sports
- 5 Star Global Gourment Dining™ from a choice of restaurants at both hotels
Like many other Antigua hotels, the Rex Halcyon Cove Hotel is situated right on a stunning stretch of pristine beach, so...
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Informal and fun, Pineapple Beach Club is an Adults Only All Inclusive relaxing holiday destination. This hotel...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
You can enjoy all the aspects of the charming island of Barbados, at the elegant Worthing Court located near all the...
Come and soak up the sun with two great value hotels that offer something for families and couples. Starting with...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Set in 37 acres of landscaped tropical gardens, the Hawksbill by Rex Resorts is a special little Caribbean hideaway that...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Barbados
Barbados NewsBrowse all Barbados News
As a Barbadian, born and raised, it’s not the first time Rihanna speaks candidly about her native Caribbean island. This time, the chart-topping singer has spoken to Conde Nast Traveller to reveal her favourite places in Barbados, from her hometown to the best seafood, the liveliest nightlife, top bars and the biggest street party of the year.
Now in its second year, the celebration of Dive Fest Barbados 2018 seeks to raise awareness about the protection of the Caribbean island's reefs. The upcoming event to be celebrated next month wants to sing the praises of Barbados' excellent diving sites whilst at the same time highlighting the challenges it faces in order to preserve a healthy fish and coral population.
The Elegant Hotels Group has announced the opening of Treasure Beach, following a $10.5 million renovation project. The luxury hotel is located on the west coast of Barbados and offers an adults-only experience with 35 one-bedroom suites, and facilities including a swimming pool and Tapestry, the onsite restaurant. The property is the seventh hotel to join the company’s collection.