St. Nicholas Abbey - Meet Barbados' Heritage
Duration: Half Day
Gain an insight into Barbados’ rich heritage on this memorable tour of St. Nicholas Abbey in the parish of St Peter. This impressive old plantation house has been listed as one of the 'Seven Wonders of Barbados' by the Barbados Tourism Authority (BTA). Both visitors and locals are intrigued by its fascinating history, which dates back to the 17th century.
Built by Colonel Benjamin Beringer (the first known owner of the plantation and one of the early sugar planters), sometime between 1650 and 1660, St Nicholas Abbey is believed to be the oldest building in Barbados. As one of only three existing Jacobean houses in the Western Hemisphere – the other two being Drax Hall in Barbados and Bacon's Castle in Virginia – this majestic building is of significant historical value to the island. It is not known why the house is called St Nicholas Abbey as it was never an abbey, but it has been in the current owner's family for generations.
As you approach the house you will notice several distinguishing features such as the curved Dutch gables, chimney stacks and beautiful coral stone finials. While most of the structures in North America were built out of timber at the time, St Nicholas Abbey was made of brick and limestone. This building has been well preserved and much of the original features remain. Inside you will find an old Chinese Chippendale staircase, fireplaces, fine antiques and china, candlesticks and period furniture such as the 18th century Grandfather clock and Sheraton sideboard. A rare 1930s film of daily life on the sugar plantation can also be viewed whilst you are there. Only the ground floor of the structure is open to the public.
Situated near the famous Cherry Tree Hill, St. Nicholas Abbey is surrounded by lush tropical forests, beautiful gardens and over 400 acres of sugar cane fields. Sugar has been grown at the plantation since around 1640 and is still grown here today. This precious ‘white gold’ as it was once called, was Britain's largest import from the Caribbean during the 18th Century and most of the plantations, including St. Nicholas Abbey, were producing sugar and molasses to meet the growing needs of the Old World (Europe, Asia and Africa). The estate has become a popular tourist attraction since it was lovingly restored to its former glory several years ago.
At the end of the tour, visitors will even get the chance to sample and buy St. Nicholas Abbey Barbados Rum, which is now produced here. This tour will give you a fascinating glimpse of island history and culture during your holiday in Barbados.
Barbados Holidays Browse all
The charm of Barbados with the Serenity of Grenada with this twin-centre package to Bougainvillea Barbados and Coyaba Beach Resort
- Upgrade your meal plans at both options for extra value
- Great Value package at Two highly rated properties
- Staying at Bougainvillea Barbados you are minutes from the popular St Lawrence Gap and Oistins
- At Coyaba Beach Resort you are footsteps from Grenada's signature Grande Anse Beach
Experience the best of the infamously beautiful beaches of the Caribbean with your stay in Barbados and Grenada
Enjoy your time in the Caribbean with a stay at two incredible Radisson resorts – sure to please even the most discerning of travellers
- Radisson Grenada Beach Resort is home to the island’s only free form swimming pool, complete with waterfalls
- Guests are able to dine in true style at the Radisson Aquatica Resort with themed dinner nights and beautiful beach backdrops
- Discover the best of Caribbean cultures during these holidays with central locations and a complimentary shuttle bus to Bridgetown at the Radisson Aquatica Resort
Escape to the sunny shore of the Caribbean with a holiday in gorgeous Grenada and beautiful Barbados
Enjoy the boutique charm of True Blue Bay Boutique, Grenada, before heading to the Rostrevor Hotel
- Rostrevor is a great hotel with a prime beachfront location in St. Lawrence Gap, bustling with things for you to do on your holidays
- Make the most of free beach transfers and free activities during your stay at True Blue Bay
- Enjoy free Wi-Fi at both the Rostrevor Hotel and True Blue Bay
Combine Pineapple Beach Club, Antigua and The Club Barbados to truly experience the best of the Caribbean
- The Club Barbados Resort and Spa offers an abundance of activites, a friendly social atmosphere and an excellent base for Barbados
- Pineapple beach offers stunning Beachfront views on 30 acres
- Combined Laid Back, Adults Only, All Inclusive Resorts with plenty of activites to do and nearby attractions to enjoy
Experience the charm of two Islands with a stay in Barbados and Antigua
Relax and unwind at the wonderful Hodges Bay Resort by Elegant Hotels in Antigua and Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels in Barbados
- Swim through a waterfall during your stay at Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels and reward yourself with a refreshing drink at The Cave bar after your swim
- Make the most of an extensive range of facilities at Hodges Bay by Elegant Hotels, including a deluxe spa, water sports, 3 pools, tropical gardens, and much more
- Discover a number of Caribbean charms including Barbados' famous west coast and Antigua's calm waters and coral reefs
Like many other Antigua hotels, the Rex Halcyon Cove Hotel is situated right on a stunning stretch of pristine beach, so...
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Informal and fun, Pineapple Beach Club is an Adults Only All Inclusive relaxing holiday destination. This hotel...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
You can enjoy all the aspects of the charming island of Barbados, at the elegant Worthing Court located near all the...
Come and soak up the sun with two great value hotels that offer something for families and couples. Starting with...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Set in 37 acres of landscaped tropical gardens, the Hawksbill by Rex Resorts is a special little Caribbean hideaway that...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Barbados
Barbados NewsBrowse all Barbados News
As a Barbadian, born and raised, it’s not the first time Rihanna speaks candidly about her native Caribbean island. This time, the chart-topping singer has spoken to Conde Nast Traveller to reveal her favourite places in Barbados, from her hometown to the best seafood, the liveliest nightlife, top bars and the biggest street party of the year.
Now in its second year, the celebration of Dive Fest Barbados 2018 seeks to raise awareness about the protection of the Caribbean island's reefs. The upcoming event to be celebrated next month wants to sing the praises of Barbados' excellent diving sites whilst at the same time highlighting the challenges it faces in order to preserve a healthy fish and coral population.
The Elegant Hotels Group has announced the opening of Treasure Beach, following a $10.5 million renovation project. The luxury hotel is located on the west coast of Barbados and offers an adults-only experience with 35 one-bedroom suites, and facilities including a swimming pool and Tapestry, the onsite restaurant. The property is the seventh hotel to join the company’s collection.