Cuba Marks the End of Summer with Outdoor Celebrations, Music and Festivals
As school starts and the Cuban summer draws to an end with another school year looming; the island celebrates in full swing with a series of announced festivals, events and outdoor concerts organised to wave goodbye to the holiday season.
With the first day of September marking the official start of yet another school year, the Cuban Summer season draws to an end and it does so in style by hosting a range of events to close out the 2009 Cuba holiday season.
The Summer Organising Commission has already announced a series of festivals, outdoor concerts and lively events to put a golden end to the hot Cuba holiday summer period.
Among the festivities planned, the first will take place on Thursday with the National Youth Book and Reading Festival, celebrated in conjunction with volunteer work days planned to help schools throughout the island get ready for the new academic year. With a green goal set for the coming of autumn, a nationwide reforestation project will also take place on Saturday and Sunday with around 100,000 students spending the weekend planting trees and working in nurseries’ gardens.
And for the entertainment of all, one of the highlights of the closing of summer celebrations will be a massive outdoor concert on Saturday evening, featuring Cuba’s most famous Salsa band “La Charanga Habanera” who will sing on the beautiful Malecon waterfront in Havana.
Yet another giant outdoor concert under the stars will be happening on 4th September when another famous island singer, David Blanco celebrates the official opening of the 2009-2010 academic school year with a musical show on the famous long stairway of the grand University of Havana.
All of these events are free and completely open to the public so if anyone on Cuba holidays happens to happily walk by during one of these events they are most welcome to join in the celebrations and the dancing. Cuban, tourists and visitors alike will all gather to enjoy days of fun and music.
For those lucky enough to be on a Cuba holiday during this week be on the lookout if you want to catch a glimpse of the joyous Cuban celebrations and street festivities. A great opportunity to immerse in the local culture, clap your hands, tap your feet and generally get lost into the contagious salsa beats.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Nacional De Cuba hotel is considered a symbol of history, culture and Cuban identity
- Iberostar Laguna Azul offers 15 bars and restaurants, and worldwide cuisines
- Enjoy watersports including windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, paddleboats, and snorkelling
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...