Maldives luxury resort is powered entirely by solar panels
The islands of the Maldives have numerous unbelievable retreats dotted around, but the end of 2018 saw caught everyone’s attention when a solar-powered private island resort was named the world’s best new luxury hotel. Luxury Travel Intelligence (LTI), the members-only online resource for affluent travellers, named its best new luxury hotel for 2019 as the entirely solar-powered Kudadoo Maldives, a posh private island retreat with 15 beautiful overwater bungalows.
Kudadoo Maldives Private Island launched in December. The resort consists of private overwater residences over the Lhaviyani Atoll, so guests can sleep above the Maldives’ renowned clear blue waters. The island is entirely solar-powered and has numerous other eco-friendly facilities, with an importance placed on sustainable building materials and ecologically mindful activities and dining.
From a bird’s eye view, the Kudadoo Maldives Private Resort looks like a glittery black beetle shell floating in a serene turquoise sea. Situated off one of the Maldives’ miniature tropical islands, the exotic resort’s main building has a roof built from solar panels arranged into a treaded pattern.
New York City architecture firm Yuji Yamazaki Architecture (YYA) planned the $3,000-plus a night hotel as a premium eco-friendly escape where the structure can sustain itself. On one side of the island there is a bunch of ocean bungalows surrounding the shore. On the other side of the island is the chief building whose roof generates sufficient energy to power the entire resort. The solar-panelled roof turns the bright sun into enough energy to support the fifty residents and one hundred staff who can stay on the island at any time.
YAA wanted to show off their innovative technology — rather than hiding the solar panels they put them at the forefront of the design so that visitors know how the resort is powered and is a unique selling point.
“At a glance, visitors can assess the size of solar roof, and then comprehend the relationship to the scale of the resort served by it.”
The architects explain.
According to the designers, the building’s form and angle were clearly designed to capture sunlight and produce the maximum amount of energy. Even the gaps were carefully thought out, as they allow for air and natural light to seep through, further reducing electricity costs— which of course takes the resort’s tropical local into consideration.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Exclusive Free Upgrade to Full Board
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities (*surcharge may apply)
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages all come included in the price of your stay
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin
- Gaze at the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in the Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the place to be if you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...
The Sun Island is located on the Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives, which is one of the most sublime coastal...