Gran Hotel Costa Rica, Curio Collection by Hilton reopens after restoration
Historic San Jose hotel Gran Hotel Costa Rica, Curio Collection by Hilton recently reopened after a three-year remodel. Because the hotel is a historic landmark, many of its original features were maintained, while adding numerous modern amenities.
The restoration process started in 2016 and was renewed because even though the hotel is a historical monument, well-known by locals and visited by tourists, it didn’t match with the characteristics of a modern hotel.
Sandor Tupi, Executive manager of Gran Hotel Costa Rica, explained about the difficulties of this ambitious project:
“The biggest challenge was to bring together under one roof history, commodity and first-class hospitality.”
Although the building was remodelled, planners made certain to keep many of the gems that made it an iconic and classic touristic attraction in downtown San Jose. It retains its colonial look but also has the advantages and amenities of a modern and technological hotel. It was built in 1930 and was named a historical architectural monument in 2005.
Mr Tupi also commented that Gran Hotel was their first choice in Costa Rica, given the long history of the building as a hotel and the attraction that it holds for both locals and tourists.
The hotel originally had 108 rooms. The redesign left the hotel smaller in terms of rooms, but it has wider social areas and amenities. Together with Las Arcadas, Plaza de la Cultura, Teatro Nacional and Museo del Oro, the building completes an area of historic places that are points of interest in San Jose.
Despite the changes, the hotel keeps its front view from the first to the fourth floor, its windows, arcades and some of the historic furniture from the Kennedy Suite. The main suite of the hotel was named after the visit of President John F. Kennedy to the country in 1963.
From the front desk located on the 5th floor, people can appreciate the Plaza de la Cultura and the mountains of the Central Valley. The redesign also gave the hotel two restaurants and a rooftop bar, which is open to the public as well as guests of the hotel. It also has a VIP and executive area for people who prefer more privacy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
This multi centre holiday offers fantastic bases to explore Costa Rica or relax and unwind in splendid surroundings
- Those looking for an active holiday can try horse riding, kayaking, windsurfing, hiking and mountain biking.
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury including limitless top-shelf spirits at Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica
- Enjoy long summer days on a secluded beach or discover the rich natural ecology of the area
Located on the stunning Papagayo Peninsula in Guanacaste
- Activities galore including water aerobics, walks, themed nights, movies, cooking, volleyball, pilates and more.
- 3 romantic wedding packages, all including wedding cake, sparkling wine toast, honeymoon package, and free anniversary nights.
- All-inclusive at an array of a la carte restaurants, or enjoy 24 hour room service
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...