Gran Hotel Costa Rica, Curio Collection by Hilton reopens after restoration
Historic San Jose hotel Gran Hotel Costa Rica, Curio Collection by Hilton recently reopened after a three-year remodel. Because the hotel is a historic landmark, many of its original features were maintained, while adding numerous modern amenities.
The restoration process started in 2016 and was renewed because even though the hotel is a historical monument, well-known by locals and visited by tourists, it didn’t match with the characteristics of a modern hotel.
Sandor Tupi, Executive manager of Gran Hotel Costa Rica, explained about the difficulties of this ambitious project:
“The biggest challenge was to bring together under one roof history, commodity and first-class hospitality.”
Although the building was remodelled, planners made certain to keep many of the gems that made it an iconic and classic touristic attraction in downtown San Jose. It retains its colonial look but also has the advantages and amenities of a modern and technological hotel. It was built in 1930 and was named a historical architectural monument in 2005.
Mr Tupi also commented that Gran Hotel was their first choice in Costa Rica, given the long history of the building as a hotel and the attraction that it holds for both locals and tourists.
The hotel originally had 108 rooms. The redesign left the hotel smaller in terms of rooms, but it has wider social areas and amenities. Together with Las Arcadas, Plaza de la Cultura, Teatro Nacional and Museo del Oro, the building completes an area of historic places that are points of interest in San Jose.
Despite the changes, the hotel keeps its front view from the first to the fourth floor, its windows, arcades and some of the historic furniture from the Kennedy Suite. The main suite of the hotel was named after the visit of President John F. Kennedy to the country in 1963.
From the front desk located on the 5th floor, people can appreciate the Plaza de la Cultura and the mountains of the Central Valley. The redesign also gave the hotel two restaurants and a rooftop bar, which is open to the public as well as guests of the hotel. It also has a VIP and executive area for people who prefer more privacy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco-tourist's dream destination
- Experience canopy walkways through a bridge system and marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- Explore San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
This holiday offers a fantastic base to explore Costa Rica, or relax in splendid surroundings
- Enjoy long summer days on a secluded beach or discover the rich natural ecology of the area
- Those looking for an active holiday can try horse riding, kayaking, windsurfing, hiking and mountain biking
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019 when booking before 31st January
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Perfectly poised on the pristine Pacific shores of Papagayo, the Planet Hollywood Beach Resort guaranteed to make you...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...