Costa Rica sees upsurge in UK visitors
The Costa Rica Tourism Board has reported a steady rise in the number of travellers visiting the Central American country recently, with a 2.5% increase in visitors from the UK in the first half of 2018 compared to the same period in 2017, helped along by the introduction of direct British Airways flights from London.
The latest statistics released by the Costa Rica Tourism Board (ICT) reveal that the Central American country has seen an upsurge in the number of UK visitors recently. A total of 40,907 visitors from the UK travelled to Costa Rica in the first half of 2018 – representing an increase of 2.5% compared to the same period in 2017.
This steady growth is a reflection of the upward trend in UK visitors to Costa Rica that has been seen in the last few years, enhanced by the launch of British Airways’ direct flights from London in April 2016.
The latest figures position the UK as Costa Rica’s second largest source market in Europe, but the tropical country is an increasingly popular holiday destination across the board, boasting eco-lodges and rainforest retreats, rich wildlife and heritage sites plus high-quality beach resorts facing onto the Caribbean Sea or the Pacific Ocean.
Only France surpassed the UK for the number of nationals travelling to Costa Rica, with 44,843 French visitors from January to June this year. There has also been a surge in visitors from other European countries, with the tourist board recording a 6.8% increase in travellers from Germany and a 1.6% rise in visitors from Spain.
The Irish market has also seen a positive increase in the amount of people holidaying in Costa Rica in the first half of this year. From January to June 2018, a total of 2,400 Irish travellers visited Costa Rica, representing an impressive 17% increase compared to the same period last year.
In global numbers, Costa Rica welcomed 1,661,145 worldwide visitors in the first six months of this year, which represents an overall 1.7% upsurge in travellers compared to the same period in 2017.
Sandwiched between Nicaragua and Panama in Central America, Costa Rica offers a plethora of wildlife, landscapes and experiences to cater for all tastes – from sloth encounters and turtle nesting to incredible rainforests, cloud forests and palm-fringed beaches on both the Caribbean and Pacific seaboards.
Accounting for only 0.03% of the earth's surface, Costa Rica contains 5% of the world's biodiversity and has become a global leader in sustainable practices and conservation. Around 26% of its territory is under environmental protection.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot to learn about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
This holiday offers a fantastic base to explore Costa Rica, or relax in splendid surroundings
- Enjoy long summer days on a secluded beach or discover the rich natural ecology of the area
- Those looking for an active holiday can try horse riding, kayaking, windsurfing, hiking and mountain biking
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019 when booking before 31st January
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all its gems on this in-depth tour with a fabulous beach stay at the end
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
With shimmering white beaches and lush tropical jungle, Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica is the perfect getaway for the...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your eyes to new experiences as you venture to Costa Rica for a...
With a good choice of amenities and perfect location, Occidental Tamarindo is a brilliant holiday choice for families...