Costa Rica sees numbers of UK visitors rise in the first half of 2018
Costa Rica is proud to welcome a higher number of tourists this year, as numbers grow for European travellers in the first half of 2018. Visitors from the UK alone have reached a sum of over 40,000 in this period, which represents an increase of 2.5 per cent in comparison to the previous year.
With stunning natural landscapes and breath-taking fauna, Costa Rica receives millions of tourists each year. Eager to explore its pristine rainforests and discover some of the world’s most exotic species, tourists flock to this petite nation in Central America every season. With its perpetual sunny weather and incredible nature, Costa Rica continues to grow as a tourism destination, and its popularity has risen across Europe, and in particular, across the UK.
According to the latest statistics released by the Costa Rica Tourism Board (ICT), the country has received a total of 40,907 visitors from the UK in the first half of 2018. This amount represents an increase of 2.5 per cent in comparison to the same period in 2017.This steady growth is a reflection of the upward trend in UK visitors to Costa Rica that has been seen in the last few years, enhanced by the launch of the BA direct flights from London in April 2016.
These numbers further showcase the UK as one of Costa Rica’s main markets, positioning the country as the second most important source market in Europe. The first place is currently occupied by France, which has received 44,843 visitors from January to June this year. Many other European countries have also seen an increase in visitor figures, as is the case of Germany, with a 6.8 per cent rise, and Spain, with a 1.6 per cent rise.
Another important source market that is on the rise is Ireland, which saw a positive increase in the first half of the present year. From January to June 2018, a total of 2,400 Irish travellers visited Costa Rica, representing an impressive 17 per cent increase compared to the same period last year. In global numbers, Costa Rica welcomed a whopping total of 1,661,145 worldwide visitors from January to June 2018, a 1.7 per cent upsurge compared to the same period in 2017.
Perched between Nicaragua and Panama, Costa Rica is a rugged Central American country with coastlines on the Caribbean and Pacific, which is renowned for its bountiful and verdant rainforests. Although its capital, San Jose, is home to cultural institutions like the Pre-Columbian Gold Museum, Costa Rica is usually more well-known for its natural treasures.
From idyllic beaches to dramatic volcanoes, this petite country harbours an impressive biodiversity. Roughly a quarter of its area is made up of protected jungle, teeming with wildlife including spider monkeys, sloths, turtles and quetzal birds. Accounting for only 0.03 per cent of the earth’s surface, Costa Rica contains 5 per cent of the world’s biodiversity, having 26 per cent of its territory under protection.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot to learn about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- See the natural wonders of Costa Rica
- Sky Walk Arenal’s Hanging Bridges
- Includes Sarapiqui River Rafting class
This holiday offers a fantastic base to explore Costa Rica, or relax in splendid surroundings
- Enjoy long summer days on a secluded beach or discover the rich natural ecology of the area
- Those looking for an active holiday can try horse riding, kayaking, windsurfing, hiking and mountain biking
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019 when booking before 31st January
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all its gems on this in-depth tour with a fabulous beach stay at the end
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
With shimmering white beaches and lush tropical jungle, Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica is the perfect getaway for the...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your eyes to new experiences as you venture to Costa Rica for a...
With a good choice of amenities and perfect location, Occidental Tamarindo is a brilliant holiday choice for families...