U.S. swimmer becomes first woman to swim the 21-mile St. Lucia Channel
The amateur swimmer from Nebraska, Molly Nance accomplished a remarkable feat last week when she swam the 21 miles that connect the St. Lucia Channel to a beach in Martinique. Supported by her husband and a team of 11 passengers, the 52-year-old managed to traverse the channel in just 14 hours, giving way to the inauguration of a new national event, the St. Lucia Channel Swim.
A couple of hours before sunrise on Wednesday 16th May, U.S. swimmer Molly Nance started a journey that would make her the first woman to swim across the St. Lucia Channel.
Supported by her husband and a support team of 11 boat passengers, she reached Cariblue Beach at The BodyHoliday resort in the early hours of the morning, entering the water at around 4:38 a.m. and starting her 21-mile-long swim only five minutes later, as Captain Martin Thomas blew his boat’s horn, signalling the start of a legendary feat.
By midday Nance had done half of her journey after reaching a half-way point of the channel, the sun was at its highest point then and both islands were visible on both sides. She reached her final destination at 6:39 p.m. after stepping into the shoreline of a small beach in Saint Anne’s, Martinique and making history.
Nance had previously attempted to swim the English Channel in 2014 but an illness made her cancel her plans. Now she can proudly boast the title of First Woman to Swim the St. Lucia Channel.
The 21.2 miles journey was first completed by swimmer Jacques Sicot in 1987, who swam from Martinique to St. Lucia in over 19 hours, after being swept off-course by a current. He attempted it again two years later, swimming in the opposite direction and completed the journey in around 12 hours.
After Nance’s ground-breaking feat, which was witnessed by Honorable Minister Dominic Fedee and Director of Sports Patrick Mathurin, government authorities launched a new annual national event - the St. Lucia Channel Swim, to ensure that Nance’s incredible feat is not the last one.
During the celebration of the new event launch, which was hosted at Cap Maison restaurant, organisers discussed the perils and intricacies of embarking on such a physically-demanding journey.
St Lucia’s first Channel Swim will be held from 6 to 8 July 2018 with world record holder and English Channel swimmer Philip Rush leading the 3-day event, overseeing open water clinics on 6th July and officiating the Channel Swim on the following day, which will depart from Smugglers Cove at Cap Maison Beach.
Following the channel swim, the day’s events will continue with an open water swim open to the public, where participating swimmers will cover distances of 1K, 3K and 5K distances.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway at the luxurious Bay Gardens Beach Resort
- Book 7 nights and get US$150 Resort Credit per room category per stay
- Two Kids (4-12 years) stay and eat free
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its breathtaking views and its golden sand
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Save upto 32% off on all room types
- Complimentary activities available, non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- All Inclusive beachfront resort in Choc Bay with 6 restaurants, 6 bars and a cafe to choose from
- FLASH Sale still on with savings of up to £300 per person in all room types
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Two Worlds in One - 85 Acre resort with an adults section and family section complete with St Lucia's only water park
- Includes $1000 resort credit to be used in resort on Spa treatments, upgrades and more
- Extended offer of up to 70% off on all room types when staying plus up to 2 Kids stay and play FREE
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Mega British Airways Sale - Upgrade to Premium from £349 and Club World from £1199 book before 24th Sep 2018
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
- Complimentary room upgrades available plus discount savings of upto 40% for 2018 and 2019
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway at Rendezvous you and your loved one have always fantasised about with a stay on the...
Situated in the heart of Gros Islet is the magnificent Bay Gardens Inn, a classy resort set in lush tropical gardens....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings out...
Set upon the white sands of Reduit beach, the all-inclusive Papillon by Rex Resorts Hotel offers jaw dropping views of...