Movenpick Hotel Colombo, Sri Lanka appoints new General Manager
The Movenpick Hotel Colombo in Sri Lanka has appointed a new General Manager. George Koumendakos has taken over the role at the luxury five-star hotel in Colombo city centre, and he brings more than 30 years of experience in the hospitality sector to the position. The hotel opened in January 2016 and has 219 guest rooms and suites, a spa, a rooftop bar, themed restaurant and an infinity pool.
The Movenpick Hotel Colombo in Sri Lanka has appointed George Koumendakos as its new General Manager. Mr Koumendakos brings more than 30 years of hospitality industry experience to the role, and it will be his first appointment in Sri Lanka.
Prior to his new position at the five-star hotel in Sri Lanka, Mr Koumendakos managed the Crowne Plaza Dubai-Deira in the UAE, as well as overlooking two other hotels in the area for four years. The Dutch national will bring his expertise rebranding, strategic management, leadership and marketing to his role at Movenpick Hotel Colombo.
Mr. Koumendakos, stated:
“I am delighted to join a unique and award-winning property that has already gained a strong position in the market.
“Continuing on this success, I hope to bring in more exciting new guest experiences together with the hotel’s dedicated team. It is a fantastic time to be based in Colombo with many things to look forward to as the property has not only introduced a unique hospitality concept in Sri Lanka, but also brought in a touch of attitude and altitude to the city of Colombo, reflecting the country’s energy and optimism.”
Mr Koumendakos began his career in hospitality as a trainee in 1986, at the Amsterdam Hilton hotel. He then worked for global hotel companies including Hilton Worldwide, Marriott International, Banyan Tree and the InterContinental Hotel Group for 20 years. He has held a series of senior positions across North America, Europe, the Middle East and Africa and Asia.
Movenpick Hotel Colombo sits in the cultural and commercial districts of Colombo, near attractions including the National Museum, Liberty Arcade and Colpetty market. The 24-storey building has a striking diamond-patterned façade, and a unique hanging garden with more than 14,310 plants and flowers. In the 219 guest rooms and suites, guests can enjoy flat-screen TVs, complimentary wireless Internet, and view overlooking the city or sparkling Indian Ocean.
Facilities at the luxury hotel include a rooftop infinity pool and a roof top bar, a modern fitness centre, the lavish Spa Ceylon, a beauty salon, a Jacuzzi, and five meeting rooms and a board room. The hotel has three themed restaurants including the Brasseries with French cuisine, the Robata Grill and Lounge Japanese Izakaya restaurant and sushi bar, and AYU with Swiss wines and cheese cellars. The rooftop Vistas Bar serves handcrafted cocktails and shisha while guests can unwind with music in the open-air lounge.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy the peace and quiet with a good choice of amenities and a great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Price includes free Half Board Upgrade
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting a la carte menus and buffet style
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Visit many of Sri Lanka's key attractions before ending with a relaxing beach break
- Immerse yourself in Sri Lankan culture on a visit to a native village with catamaran ride and traditional bullock cart trip
- Explore the iconic Sigiriya Rock Fortress, home to the spectacular 'Lion Rock', a citadel of unusual beauty rising 200m from the scrub jungle
- Admire all of Kandy's main sights on a tour around the area which includes a visit to the sacred 'Temple of the Tooth'
- Relax with a beach break on the sandy shores of Beruwala at the end of your Sri Lankan adventure
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- Transport in a comfortable, air-conditioned vehicle
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Escape into the arms of one of Sri Lanka's most picturesque towns and live the sun-drenched holiday of your dreams....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...