Experience luxury in the Maldives for free
The Maldives is an idyllic location in the Indian Ocean, but one that many travellers dismiss as beyond their budget. It is true that many of the resorts in the Maldives are tailored to luxury travellers, but with some careful planning, a stay in the Maldives can be booked using credit card and hotel loyalty points, possibly making a dream vacation there completely free.
If there is any place in the world that meets the picture-postcard definition of “paradise” the Maldives would have to be that place. A series of small islands in the Indian Ocean, if white sand and turquoise waters are what you’re looking for, there’s no better place than the Maldives.
For luxury travellers, in particular, the Maldives is an ideal destination. Resorts in the Maldives are remote and are tailored to those who want to get away from it all. But opulence and seclusion often come at a cost, which means that a high-end experience on the Maldives can be difficult to manage.
In addition to the cost of accommodation (as well as resort fees) and the flight, getting to your resort usually involves a private air or speedboat transfer to your resort, which can cost $400 per person or more.
Fortunately, even a luxury Maldives experience can be had at a reasonable cost, or even for free. Numerous Maldives properties belong to comprehensive hotel loyalty programs, making it possible to book that dream vacation with credit card rewards. There are several ways to do this:
- The Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa is a luxurious resort situated on its own private island and boasts 50 beach and oceanfront villas. The property is a Category 6 hotel, which means guests can book a stay there for 25,000 Hyatt points per night. Free night certificates can also be redeemed for a stay at the property.
- Holiday Inn Resort: Kandooma Maldives. Maybe Holiday Inn doesn’t immediately come to mind when you think “luxury” but this one is different. The Holiday Inn Kandooma Maldives sits on a beautiful island with incredible beach and waterfront villas. It can be booked for just 40,000 IHG Rewards points per night.
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa. This breathtaking resort comes complete with overwater bungalows and a private beach. It’s an SPG property, which means it can be booked if you have the Starwood Preferred Guest card from American Express and rooms start at 20,000 points per night.
- The W Maldives is another SPG property, this one featuring a private reef and six gourmet restaurants. Rooms can be booked for 90,000 starpoints per night.
- One of the area’s most luxurious resorts is the St. Regis Maldives Vommuli, which offers overwater accommodations and outdoor dining. A stay here can be had for 90,000 starpoints per night.
- The Conrad Maldives Rangali Island offers an incredible escape, complete with deluxe beach and overwater villas and breathtaking scenery. Guests can book a stay at the Conrad Maldives for 95,000 Hilton Honors Points per night, possibly more during peak-season.
While the Maldives will likely never be considered a budget destination, it is possible to turn a dream vacation there into a reality simply by redeeming credit card and hotel loyalty points.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity
- Try snorkelling, scuba diving and more
- Stay in luxurious bungalows
- Excellent choice of for both dining and drinking
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- The main restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western dishes
- Benefit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters and feature private sun decks
- Easy access to the buzzing capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Try the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from Oriental flavours to Mediterranean delights
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in the Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Kuredu Island Resort will be your home away from home during your holiday and you could hardly pick a more ideal place...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...
Reethi Faru is a tropical island paradise in the Maldives, lapped by the crystalline waters of the Indian Ocean,...