Puerto Vallarta looks set to receive another record-breaking year in tourism
Puerto Vallarta’s tourism industry is looking set to welcome a record-breaking year after receiving its highest ever number of tourists in the first six months of 2017. According to the Puerto Vallarta Tourism Board, the resort city in Mexico has recorded a six per cent rise in hotel occupancy during this period, and international passenger arrivals have increased by 12 per cent.
One of Mexico’s popular tourist resorts on the coast is welcoming an increase in visitor number and hotel occupancy levels this year. Puerto Vallarta is looking set to receive record-breaking tourism figures by the end of the year.
In the first six months of 2017, Puerto Vallarta International Airport received 1,843,600 travellers from all over the world. This was a 12 per cent increase compared to the same period last year.
The Puerto Vallarta Tourism Board revealed new figures that show the coastal resort had recorded a six per cent increase in hotel occupancy during the first half of 2017. Occupancy rates in hotels reached nearly 90 per cent between January and June, which was significantly higher than the 73 per cent occupancy levels in 2016 and 70 per cent in 2015.
Cruise passenger numbers are also up in the region, with 189,324 international holidaymakers visiting Puerto Vallarta in the first six months. This is a two per cent increase compared to the same period last year.
In 2016. The city welcomed more than four million international and national visitors, and this year looks set to exceed that record. The increase in arrivals has been helped by campaign efforts that were launched by the tourism board, as well as the development and upgrade of beachfront hotels, restaurants and attractions. The Mexican destination has also become a favourite for LGBT travellers, with LGBT visitors making up 15 to 20 per cent of the region’s total number of visitors.
Puerto Vallarta is situated on the Bahía de Banderas in the Jalisco state in Mexico. Its natural landscapes are a huge draw, and tourists can enjoy turquoise crystal clear waters that are teeming with vibrant marine species and coral reefs.
The majestic Sierra Madre’s emerald-sloped mountains are located to the east of the city, and holidaymakers can go hiking to explore the diverse wildlife such as tropical birds, jaguars, and iguanas. The white-sand beaches are pristine and plentiful, and the azure sea is ideal for fun water activities such as scuba diving, snorkelling, sailing, kayaking, fishing and paddle boarding.
As well as large selection of accommodation options that cater for any budget, the coastal town is home to gourmet restaurants, charming cafes and varied street food vendors. The town comes alive at night thanks to its vibrant bars, night clubs, and beach clubs.
Popular tourist attractions in Puerto Vallarta include the historic Church of Our Lady of the Guadalupe, the seafront vibrant "Malecon", the Botanical Gardens of Vallarta, and the Los Muertos Pier. Visitors can head to River Cuale Island for unique artisan shops, and the bustling "Pueblo Viejo" market is the perfect place to experience authentic Mexican culture and to pick up some jewellery, souvenirs, clothing and delicious, traditional Mexican cuisine.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean Front
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Ocean View
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Junior Suite Pool View
- Adults only resort promising great parties and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Whether you're looking for a fun holiday with your family, a romantic getaway with your partner or a lively trip with...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. At Allegro Playacar...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....