Iconic Gran Hotel Costa Rica due to reopen following careful renovations
The Gran Hotel Costa Rica will reopen to guests before Christmas, according to the hotel's operators the Elite Hotels and Resorts de Costa Rica. The iconic hotel in the capital San Juan has hosted President John F Kennedy, and is currently undergoing a major renovation programme, and it will be run under the Curio by Hilton brand when it reopens at the end of the year.
The Gran Hotel Costa Rica will reopen before the end of the year, following an extensive refurbishment programme.
The hotel in San Jose has been closed since July 2016 as work is carried out to transform the iconic property as it joins the Hilton by Curio collection.
Located between Avenida Central and Avenida Segunda in the capital of Costa Rica, the hotel once hosted the former U.S President, John F Kennedy. Built in the 1920s, and launched in 1930, the hotel has since been declared a “Historical Landmark.”
“As an architectural monument, you have to treat it differently. It will be part of the Hilton chain, with the brand Curio. They are iconic hotels that have great value for cities or countries, which reopen their doors with a first-class boutique concept.”
Explained Ludwing Diaz, the Director of Sales and Marketing at the Hilton Garden Inn.
Working with Hilton Worldwide during the remodelling process of the hotel is William Monge, the director of the Heritage Centre of the Ministry of Culture. Mr Monge said that the façade of the hotel will also have a new look but the renovations will not change the “essence of the property”. An architect visits the hotel on a weekly basis to ensure the work is carried out according to the plans.
Changes to the property include the relocation of the reception area to the fifth floor, and it will also have a piano bar, executive lounge and meeting area. The number of hotel rooms at the Gran Hotel Costa Rica, will reduce from 106 to 79, and there will be a brand new restaurant and shops on the ground floor.
The Heritage Centre has insisted that the “Le Jardin” room on the firth floor remains intact, together with the room where President Kennedy stayed in 1963. The centre also said that the windows must not be altered of the entire hotel, because they were constructed with a special technique that is no longer practiced, and hold huge architectural value.
“As they needed to soundproof the hotel, it was allowed to add a second window, on the inside of the original, to solve the noise problem.”
Added Mr Monge. The Gran Hotel Costa Rica is located close to many museums, parks and national monuments. During their stay at the luxury hotel, guests can visit the nearby Plaza de la Cultura and the Teatro Nacional (National Theatre).
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Located on the stunning Papagayo Peninsula in Guanacaste
- Activities galore including water aerobics, walks, themed nights, movies, cooking, volleyball, pilates and more.
- 3 romantic wedding packages, all including wedding cake, sparkling wine toast, honeymoon package, and free anniversary nights.
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019 when booking before 31st January
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all its gems on this in-depth tour with a fabulous beach stay at the end
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
With shimmering white beaches and lush tropical jungle, Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica is the perfect getaway for the...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your eyes to new experiences as you venture to Costa Rica for a...
With a good choice of amenities and perfect location, Occidental Tamarindo is a brilliant holiday choice for families...