New multi-million-dollar theme park planned for Guanacaste region of Costa Rica
A brand new theme park is planned for Costa Rica, following an announcement from Discovery Communications, the owner of the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet. The $400 million theme park will be located in the coastal province of Guanacaste, and it will have hotels, sports areas, restaurants, and eco-adventure activities spread out over 800 hectares of land.
Costa Rica will be getting a brand new theme park, according to an announcement by the country’s government. The $400 million theme park will be built by Discovery Communications, the owner of the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet, and developed by Costa Rican investment firm Sun Latin America.
The theme park will be located in the north-western coastal province of Guanacaste in Costa Rica, 140 miles north of the capital San Jose. Developed on 800 hectares of land, the construction of the park will start in 2018 and it is expected to be completed by 2020.
As well as rides and attractions, the theme park will also have hotels, sports areas, restaurants, shops and eco-adventure activities for visitors. The project will create around 2,000 jobs during its two-year construction, according to Luis Guillermo Solis, the President of Costa Rica.
Guanacaste is a popular tourist destination in Costa Rica, with miles of pristine beaches that face the Pacific Ocean, and lush dense jungles and national parks that are thriving with wildlife species. The region boasts mountainous terrains, caldera volcanoes, cascading waterfalls, hot springs and mud baths.
Holidaymakers can visit "Rincon de la Vieja" with its volcanic landscapes, "Palo Verde" where visitors can tour on river boats, "Santa Rosa" with its varied hiking trails, "Lomas Barbudal" which has tracks that lead to the river and waterfalls, and "Las Baulas National Marine Park" which is home to sea turtles and colourful marine species.
Once sleepy fishing towns have been transformed into vibrant tourist spots and are now buzzing with hotels, restaurants, bars and shops. Tamarindo is a popular coastal town with a pristine white sand beach and pumping surf, as well as conservation parks including the National Wildlife Refuge of Tamarindo and Marino Las Baulas National Park.
Liberia is Guanacaste's largest town, and home to the Liberia International Airport. Travellers from all over the world use Liberia as a gateway into the Guanacaste region where they can enjoy easy access to the beaches and national parks, but the town itself is becoming an attractive hub for tourists with new hotels and attractions under construction.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing
Explore the city in historica Havana before a woderful All Inclusive beach stay in Costa Rica
- This twin centre offers the perfect twin centre of history in Havana with nature and great beaches in Costa Rica
- NH Capri has an amazing pool on the roof offers breath-taking views over the capital and glistening sea
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury, where everything is included such as: gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...