Cancun set for another successful tourism year with new hotels, expansions and events
After the success of 2016 and record-breaking visitor number, Cancun is celebrating further growth this year in its tourism industry. Over the next few months, the coastal region in Mexico will open another five hotels with at least 2,300 guest rooms, renovate several existing hotels and resorts, expand its international airport, and host a number of music and food festivals.
Following its success in 2016, Cancun is looking forward to an even more successful year in 2017. Last year, the coastal region in Mexico celebrated record-breaking visitor numbers, with more than five million visitors recorded.
This year, Cancun is looking to record further growth in its tourism industry thanks to a variety of renovations, expansions new hotels and festivals. At least five new hotels are expected to open before the end of the year, bringing another 2,300 guest rooms to the market. Several existing hotels are also undergoing renovation and expansions in the region.
Lizzie Cole Guerrero, the CEO of the Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau, stated:
“Closing out a successful year, we are very confident about 2017 and the continued growth of the destination.
“With the rise in flights from the U.S. and Canada, it will be easier than ever for tourists to visit Cancun and take advantage of the new hotels and top-notch activities and events that are scheduled for 2017.”
New hotels that have recently opened or are in the pipeline in Cancun include the Hampton Inn by Hilton Cancun Cumbres, which opened in the spring near Pabellon Cumbres Mall, and has 141 guest rooms. There will also be a new 126-room hotel at Cancun International Airport, and the adults-only Hotel Ushuaia Cancun which is owned by Palladium Hotel Group and will have 600 rooms and suites will open on the site of the former Hotel El Pueblito. Next year, the Riu Costa Mujeres resort is scheduled to open at Playa Mujeres on Isla Mujeres, and Hotel Xcaret will open on the grounds of Xcaret Park by December with 900 rooms.
Many hotels will be refurbishing or upgrading their offerings over the next few months. Oasis Hotels and Resorts recently opened the new Oasis Arena, a 30,000-square-foot of event and entertainment space outdoor decks, and poolside terraces. Palace Resorts unveiled The Grand at Moon Palace Cancun, which was part of a $450-million-dollar investment programme; the adults-only Temptation Resort & Spa Cancun will conclude its multimillion-dollar renovations in August; and Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun launched its new kid’s amenities in April, which included a brand new16,145-square-foot outdoor area of its Kidz Club.
Further expansion plans in Cancun include the addition of a new fourth terminal at Cancun International Airport. The terminal will increase the airport’s capacity, making way for extra flights from international destinations. The Kukulcan Plaza shopping centre will complete its renovation programme this year, providing more fashion and lifestyle outlets for visitors, and Downtown Cancun will feature in a public art project with work from international artists and giant murals covering buildings in the Hotel Zone.
Events taking place in Cancun this year include the Whale Shark Festival on Isla Mujeres from 20th to 23rd July, and the sea turtle egg-laying season between May and November where several hotels offer programmes that are dedicated to protecting the endangered marine species. Music lovers will be in for a treat on 15th July when Ricky Martin takes to the stage to perform at Andres Quintana Roo stadium.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean Front
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean View
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Whether you're looking for a fun holiday with your family, a romantic getaway with your partner or a lively trip with...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. At Allegro Playacar...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....