Mexico becomes world’s eighth most popular tourist destination in UNWTO report
Mexico has become the eighth most popular tourist destination in the world, according to UNWTO. The country recorded 35 million visitors in 2016, which was a nine per cent increase in international arrivals. Mexico is expected to reach the top five rankings soon after the number of visitors since 2012 has increased by 50 per cent. The most popular locations include Cancun, the Riviera Maya, Los Cabos, and Puerto Vallarta.
Mexico has been ranked as the eighth most popular tourist destination in the world, according to a new report by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). The nation received more than 35 million international visitors last year, an increase of nine per cent compared to 2015.
Mexico took the ranking from Turkey, who only recorded 28.3 million tourists last year, following political unrest and security issues. Mexico’s tourism revenue also increased to $19.5 billion in 2016.
Tourism officials in Mexico expect the country to soon be in UNWTO’s top five rankings, because the number of tourists have increased by an impressive 50 per cent since 2012. The country’s government and tourism boards are working hard to add more attractions and activities in Mexico to encourage visitors to stay longer and explore different parts of the country.
There are still some safety concerns in many areas of the nation, but the coastal spots remained the favourite and safest for holidaymakers. The most popular tourist destinations in Mexico included Cancun, Los Cabos, the Riviera Maya, Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit.
Cancun is a fantastic holiday destination, with white sand beaches, dense jungles, turquoise sea, and a bustling city with vibrant bars, night clubs, restaurants and shops. Tourists can go jet-skiing, snorkelling, kayaking, scuba diving, and explore the area’s wildlife and nature reserves.
The Riviera Maya is home to thriving nature reserves and tropical landscapes and visitors will catch sightings of an array of diverse wildlife species. Tourists can explore the region’s ancient Mayan ruins, pyramids and 2,000-year-old temples including the sites of Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza.
Los Cabos is located on the Baja California Peninsula in southern Mexico, and boasts powder-soft white sand beaches, azure sea and verdant emerald hills. Holidaymakers can enjoy the area’s championship golf courses, lively bars and clubs, the town of San Jose del Cabo with its art galleries, cafes, restaurants, and shops.
Puerto Vallarta is situated on the Bahia de Banderas in the Jalisco state in Mexico. The area has crystal clear waters full of colourful marine creatures and coral reefs, and to the east stand the magnificent Sierra Madre’s emerald-sloped mountains where tourists can catch sightings tropical birds, jaguars, and iguanas. Some of the most popular attractions in Puerto Vallarta include the historic Church of Our Lady of the Guadalupe, the sea-facing "Malecon", the Botanical Gardens of Vallarta, and the "Pueblo Viejo" market for souvenirs, clothing and traditional Mexican dishes.
Riviera Nayarit is a short drive from Puerto Vallarta, and the region is home to nearly 200 miles of beaches along the Pacific Ocean. To the west, there is dense jungle and majestic mountains, and tourists can explore the turquoise lagoons, winding rivers, and soaring volcanoes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean Front
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean View
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. At Allegro Playacar...
Enjoy the many amazing facilities of the all-inclusive Iberostar Paraiso del Mar resort and delight yourself with the...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury at Oasis Cancun Lite, surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting. Your...