Abu Dhabi continues to see increase in guest arrivals
Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture announced that the country saw an eight per cent increase in tourists in 2016. Nearly 4.5 million tourists checked into Abu Dhabi hotels last year, a significant increase over the prior year. Among international visitors to Abu Dhabi, the UK contributed the third largest number of guests.
Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority reports that 2016 saw an eight per cent increase in the city’s hotel guests compared to 2015. A total of 4,440,314 guests checked into hotels in Abu Dhabi in 2016.
Among those visitors, the UK is the third highest contributor and the leading European market. In 2016, the number of visitors to Abu Dhabi from the UK increased to 238,167, a three per cent increase from 2015. The authority also reports that UK guests are among those who stay the longest, with an average visit of 3.96 nights.
Abu Dhabi’s top ten inbound markets for 2016 were: UAE, India, UK, China, Philippines, Egypt, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, USA, Germany, and Jordan.
The country was founded in 1971, and has experienced rapid change and development, although not, perhaps, on the same disorienting scale as Dubai. Though still very much an Arabic country, English is widely spoken in Abu Dhabi, making it especially attractive for English-speaking travellers. Additionally, it boasts year-round sunny weather, fine beaches, and a modern, safe environment.
Visitors to Abu Dhabi will find that it is an immensely well-planned city with numerous large developments in the works. It’s still a relatively new destination for international tourists, meaning that visitors aren’t likely to encounter unmanageable crowds or the kind of loud, drunken behaviour that is common in well-trod tourist spots.
Among the many attractions in Abu Dhabi, the Corniche, or the seafront, is arguably the most impressive site in the city. Roughly eight kilometres, it has a pedestrianized promenade, including cafes and restaurants. The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is also one of Abu Dhabi’s most iconic sites.
A massive mosque that can accommodate 41,000 worshippers, it is one of the few mosques in the region that is open to non-Muslims. With more than 1000 pillars as well as enormous minarets, the mosque is considered an outstanding example of modern Islamic architecture.
Like its neighbour Dubai, Abu Dhabi also has its share of modern attractions, such Ferrari World Abu Dhabi. The attraction is currently developing plans to add 19 additional rides and attractions, including Turbo Track, a 180-metre track based on a Ferrari training facility.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
For the ultimate golf experience in Abu Dhabi, stay at a luxurious hotel with all the trimmings that sits right next to a championship golf course
- Upgrade and experience Ferrari World - The largest indoor and first theme park on Yas Island
- Taka advantage of the golf at the 18-Hole championship Yas Links Golf Course
- A few minutes' walk from the exciting Yas Waterworld & Yas Island Beach
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Resort
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Discover the magic of two beautiful destinations in one unforgettable holiday
- The award winning Hilton Abu Dhabi is conveniently located in the heart of the city, 30 minutes from the airport and close to the Marina Shopping Mall
- Experience stunning views over the pure white sands and crystal clear ocean with your nearest and dearest
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit
Unwind and remove all the stresses of modern life with this amazing twin destination offer
- Enjoy a wide range of flavours and exoctic meal with the onsite restaurants
- Loose yourself in the Sheraton Spa and benefit from a plethora of treatments
- Visit the iconic and famous Taj Mahal
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
Stay in Downtown Abu Dhabi and be pampered by Arabian hospitality. The Holiday Inn Abu Dhabi offers excellent service...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...