San Jose, Costa Rica - a must for chocolate lovers
For sweet-toothed visitors to Costa Rica, a trip to Sibu Chocolate should not be missed. It offers guests the opportunity not only to sample some of the country’s fine chocolate, but to learn about chocolate’s place in history. Consider it a sweet, chocolate-flavoured version of a wine-tasting in an exotic tropical environment.
Among Costa Rica’s many charms is one that is sure to be irresistible to anyone with a sweet tooth—Sibu Chocolate, a chocolate-tasting tour that must be experienced to be believed.
A short drive north of downtown San Jose and located in a picturesque restaurant, the chocolate tour is part culinary experience and part history lesson. In spite of its somewhat misleading name, there is no actual walking involved in the “tour;” instead, guests sit around a comfortable table while delectable tasting plates are prepared.
The experience begins with hot chocolate, but not the thin, flavourless chocolate most people know. This is a deep, rich hot chocolate, a delightful introduction to the wonders to come. Under the guidance of Julio, one of Sibu Chocolate’s founders, guests are given a variety of chocolates to try and are given guidance in identifying the different flavours and notes in the chocolates. Many of Sibu’s chocolates combine unusual flavours, such as lime and coriander with white chocolate.
But a chocolate tasting at Sibu isn’t only about eating chocolates. Julio and Sibu’s other guides give an informative and fascinating account of chocolate’s role in society from the beginning of civilization. The discussion covers the ways that indigenous people drank their chocolate and how the treat first made its way to Europe. The discussion covers as much material as a university seminar, but in a light-hearted and often comedic manner.
Assuming visitors to Sibu Chocolate aren’t too full after indulging in copious amounts of chocolate, there is also a farm-to-table lunch menu, offering a generous variety of savoury to balance out all of the sweet.
Costa Rica is becoming increasingly known for its chocolate, particularly artisanal chocolates. Chocolate was an important part of the country’s economy until the mid-twentieth century, when a fungus wiped out the majority of Costa Rica’s cacao crop. As a result, most growers either abandoned their farms or learned to cultivate other crops. Although Costa Rica’s production of chocolate is still in its infancy, the quality of its cacao beans is not up for debate; its quality surpasses that of other countries in the region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Explore the city in historica Havana before a woderful All Inclusive beach stay in Costa Rica
- This twin centre offers the perfect twin centre of history in Havana with nature and great beaches in Costa Rica
- NH Capri has an amazing pool on the roof offers breath-taking views over the capital and glistening sea
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury, where everything is included such as: gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...