Journey Mexico recommends top five Mexican destinations for 2017
Aside from the well-known all-inclusive experience, Mexico offers a wide range of attractions for all types of visitors: from interesting history and flourishing arts to culinary delicacies and awe-inspiring nature. Zachary Rabinor from Journey Mexico recommends the top five destinations where travellers can discover the true Mexico.
Mexico has a lot to offer aside from the typical resort experience. Boasting centuries-old fascinating history, buzzing culture and delicious gastronomy, this beautiful nation is filled with charming towns, bustling cities and stunning natural sites.
According to CEO of Journey Mexico, Zachary Rabinor:
“Mexico offers world class opportunities for culture, wildlife, active travel and more. Ranking seventh in the world for UNESCO World Heritage Sites—we have 34—and with the U.S. dollar at an all-time high relative to the Mexican peso, the time to get off the beaten path in Mexico is now.”
In order to widen foreigners’ perception of this diverse country, Rabinor presents avid travellers with a list of Mexico’s top five destinations where visitors can see its true essence, away from all-inclusive venues.
Artistic growth in Guadalajara
Home to an emerging artistic and cultural scene, Guadalajara boasts an interesting mix between colonial architecture and modern design.
In order to discover the artistic treasures it comprises, travellers can visit galleries like "Travesia Cuatro", founded in 2003 to bridge the gap between Latin American and European artists, view exhibitions from local artists that are just emerging in the scene at "Paramo Galeria", and admire architecture and unconventional art at "Curro y Poncho".
Wine route in San Miguel de Allende
Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, San Miguel de Allende is filled with cobblestone streets, colourful markets and chic boutiques.
Though exploring the city is an amazing experience on its own, there’s nothing quite like discovering the "Guanajuato"wine route. Starting just outside San Miguel de Allende, from the vineyards of "Cuna de Tierra", which has produced wine since the 16th century, a history propelling the area to craft Mexico’s best Cabernet Sauvignon, the journey continues in "Bodega Dos Buhos" and "Vinicola Toyan" before moving forward with a horseback ride on the "Antiguo Camino Real" which offers the most breath-taking views of the "Guanajuato Sierra" and the Golden Corridor of San Miguel De Allende.
Delicious cuisine in Mexico City
Mexico’s vibrant capital is amazing in every right, but its condition as a metropolis has especially allowed all of the country’s rich culinary tradition to unite, from renowned fine-dining establishments to incredible taco stands. Travellers can eat their way through Mexico City, starting off with a taco bite of street-side providers and trying local delicacies like "elotes" (corn on the cob lathered in Mexican crema, cotija cheese, and spices). At "Casa Jacaranda in Roma Norte", visitors can learn familial "tamale" and "chalupa" recipes, whilst "Temporal" restaurant offers a "chocolate and mezcal" tasting as its chef crafts a custom menu blending two classic Mexican specialties.
Tranquillity and natural beauty at Isla Holbox
Though only a short ferry ride from Cancun, Isla Holbox is just the opposite of its busy neighbour. Set between the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico, this small island is only 26 miles long and less than two miles wide with an unspoiled and sparkling beachfront; a true haven for peace and tranquillity. Part of the secluded island belongs to the Yum Balam ecological reserve, an area filled with shallow lagoons and a growing population of pink flamingos and white pelicans. Snorkelling fans can swim side by side the largest fish in the world, whale sharks, which inhabit Isla Holbox’s protected waters.
Mayan and colonial history in Merida
A colonial city that was founded atop the ruins of "Tho", an ancient Mayan city, Merida offers a fascinating blend of modern and ancient history.
Filled with large colonial houses, former homes of wealthy "hacienda" owners, Merida oozes old-world charm through its cobblestone streets. Those who are interested in discovering Mexico’s history through Merida, the "Museo Regional Antropologia" within "Palacio Canton" provides an anthropological exploration of Mayan culture, whilst the "Museo de la Cancion Yucateca" illustrates the city’s musical history.
Visitors can finish their trip at "El Gran Museo del Mundo Maya" for archeological relics from Mexico’s beginnings.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean Front
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Ocean View
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Junior Suite Pool View
- Adults only resort promising great parties and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Whether you're looking for a fun holiday with your family, a romantic getaway with your partner or a lively trip with...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. At Allegro Playacar...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....