Preparations advance for Leonardo DiCaprio's Blackadore Caye hotel project
After it was first announced in the spring of 2015, Leonardo DiCaprio's hotel project in his very own private island off the coast of Belize is taking significant steps forward. Set in the enchanting Blackadore Cave, this venue is being designed by firm Denniston which aims to provide the most comfortable accommodations all the while preserving and protecting the island's rich biodiversity.
Since he purchased a private island off the coast of Belize in 2005, Hollywood sensation Leonardo DiCaprio was interested in protecting its stunning nature. Last year, the Oscar-winning actor announced the project for building a lavish, eco-friendly hotel in Blackadore Caye aiming to set the bar high for green hospitality and local ecosystem restoration. Currently being developed by design firm Denniston, the ambitious project is taking significant steps forward in order to open its doors to the public soon.
For the time being, Blackadore Caye will feature 36 resort bungalows and 36 estate homes. This charming island is set to the west of Ambergris Cay, Belize’s largest island, and is home to breath-taking landscapes, making it a paradise-like destination for nature lovers. In order to be as respectful as possible to the environment, DiCaprio and his team have been asking for the opinion of local stakeholders and citizens on the original project design.
The project developers will be taking all this feedback into account, including key concerns like the removal of overwater structures which, according to a few local environmentalists “garnered great design acclaim” but proved risky for the surroundings. DiCaprio has invested a great sum into making sure the island’s infrastructure is being designed under a “unique conservation framework developed by top biologists and ecologists,” who have reportedly studied ways to support and enhance the island’s habitat and biodiversity.
Taking an avant-garde approach on eco-friendly technologies and luxury, all of the project’s power will be sourced from renewable energy, while water will be provided through rainwater collection and onsite water treatment. Flora and fauna are also being respected, as developers plan to replant mangrove, enhance soil and habitat, as well as replace invasive species with native species.
Preparations for the ground-breaking eco-lodgings of Blackadore Caye continue to move forward. Nonetheless, this hasn’t been the only environment-friendly project the renowned Italian-American actor has embarked on. DiCaprio, who currently sets an example by driving an ecological car and powering his personal residence with solar panels, has destined millions to organisations that work to prevent climate change, decrease contamination and preserve biodiversity.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...