Egypt's Tourism Authority predicts 2017 to be good year for its travel industry
The Egyptian Tourism Authority is optimistic about the future of the country's tourism industry as it predicts 2017 to be a year of growth. After an unstable few years, consumer research reveals that British people are once again looking to travel to Egypt for good value holidays, and a new flight has been launched by Egyptair between Heathrow and Luxor.
After a rocky few years, Egypt’s tourism industry could be about to receive a welcome boost as consumer research reveals that British travellers are once again planning holidays to the country. The Egyptian Tourism Authority is optimistic that 2017 will be a year of growth from the United Kingdom, as more tourists seek value for money destinations.
Speaking at the World Travel Market in London earlier this month, Yehia Rashed, the Egyptian Minister of Tourism said that the country had a tourism strategy in place. A series of advertising and promotion campaigns were planned for 2017 to make people aware that Egypt is open to holidaymakers.
Mr Rashed commented:
“More than 1.5 million British visitors came to Egypt in 2010,” “Last year it was 870,000 and this year we expect it will be down by 70 per cent to fewer than 300,0000 visitors. But we are very confident that 2017 will be a year of growth.”
Germany and Belgium lifted their ban on flights to Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt in May this year, following the crash of a Russian plane at Sharm El Sheik airport last year, which was suspected to be a planned attack. The UK is the only country in Europe with the ban still in place.
Mr Rashed added:
“I personally believe it is just a matter of time before the UK government reviews the work and investment we’ve done in improving security in our airports and lifts the ban on flights to Sharm El Sheikh.”
Many flights continue to operate weekly services to various destinations in Egypt from the UK, including Thomas Cook, Thomson, EasyJet and Egyptair. The launch of the new flights to Luxor will give UK tourists access to the some of the world’s most ancient sites including Tut-Ankh-Amoun, the Luxor and Karnak Temples, and the Valley of the Kings and Queens.
Egypt has been a popular destination for British travellers for decades, with many tourists heading to Cairo for the Giza Pyramids, Luxor for its ancient sites and cruises down the Nile, and Sharm el Sheikh for its beaches and scuba diving in the Red Sea. The country’s hot climate, friendly hospitality, all-year-round sunshine and affordable luxury hotels and resorts have made it a firm favourite for families, couples and solo travellers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports on offer
A wonderful and exclusive beach retreat; El Gouna bustles with artists, environmentalists and sports enthusiasts who enjoy the perfect location between mountains and sea.
- Boasting an array of facilities including four swimming pools, championship golf course and much more
- Fully wheelchair accessible and environmentally friendly
- Located directly on the Red Sea with 2 Kilometres of private beach
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonders, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Radamis II Nile Cruise
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a...
AMC Royal Hotel is situated on the sandy beach of the Red Sea inbetween Hurghada and El Gouna. The resort overlooks its...
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....