Egypt's Tourism Authority predicts 2017 to be good year for its travel industry
The Egyptian Tourism Authority is optimistic about the future of the country's tourism industry as it predicts 2017 to be a year of growth. After an unstable few years, consumer research reveals that British people are once again looking to travel to Egypt for good value holidays, and a new flight has been launched by Egyptair between Heathrow and Luxor.
After a rocky few years, Egypt’s tourism industry could be about to receive a welcome boost as consumer research reveals that British travellers are once again planning holidays to the country. The Egyptian Tourism Authority is optimistic that 2017 will be a year of growth from the United Kingdom, as more tourists seek value for money destinations.
Speaking at the World Travel Market in London earlier this month, Yehia Rashed, the Egyptian Minister of Tourism said that the country had a tourism strategy in place. A series of advertising and promotion campaigns were planned for 2017 to make people aware that Egypt is open to holidaymakers.
Mr Rashed commented:
“More than 1.5 million British visitors came to Egypt in 2010,” “Last year it was 870,000 and this year we expect it will be down by 70 per cent to fewer than 300,0000 visitors. But we are very confident that 2017 will be a year of growth.”
Germany and Belgium lifted their ban on flights to Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt in May this year, following the crash of a Russian plane at Sharm El Sheik airport last year, which was suspected to be a planned attack. The UK is the only country in Europe with the ban still in place.
Mr Rashed added:
“I personally believe it is just a matter of time before the UK government reviews the work and investment we’ve done in improving security in our airports and lifts the ban on flights to Sharm El Sheikh.”
Many flights continue to operate weekly services to various destinations in Egypt from the UK, including Thomas Cook, Thomson, EasyJet and Egyptair. The launch of the new flights to Luxor will give UK tourists access to the some of the world’s most ancient sites including Tut-Ankh-Amoun, the Luxor and Karnak Temples, and the Valley of the Kings and Queens.
Egypt has been a popular destination for British travellers for decades, with many tourists heading to Cairo for the Giza Pyramids, Luxor for its ancient sites and cruises down the Nile, and Sharm el Sheikh for its beaches and scuba diving in the Red Sea. The country’s hot climate, friendly hospitality, all-year-round sunshine and affordable luxury hotels and resorts have made it a firm favourite for families, couples and solo travellers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Relax on the sandy beach or join in the various activities on offer at his fantastic hotel
- AMC Royal Hotel is set on the sandy beach of the Red Sea in-between Hurghada and El Gouna
- They have various activities on offer at the hotel including a daily animation programme, non motorised water sports and nightly entertainment
- There is various food options available especially at dinner with a buffet nightly themed restaurant, Italian buffet restaurant and a Oriental themed restaurant
Sail the mighty River Nile, see the world's largest open air museum in Luxor and Discover the Great Pyramids of Giza in Cairo, the treasures of bygone days
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck of the Swiss Inn Radamis II
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Mercure Le Sphinx
- Discover the World's largest open air museum in Luxor whilst staying at the Karnak Temple
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Start your holiday at Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...