Anantara Kalutara Resort the second Sri Lanka hotel from Anantara collection
Anantara has added a second property to its portfolio in Sri Lanka, after opening the new Anantara Kalutara Resort. Located south of Colombo on the southwest coast, the luxury resort has 141 guest rooms with private balconies and terraces, and facilities include a library, three restaurants, two swimming pools, a two-level Anantara Spa, and the Upper Deck bar with beautiful sunset views.
Anantara Hotels, Resorts and Spas has announced the opening of its second hotel in Sri Lanka, following the launch of the Anantara Kalutara Resort. The new property is situated on the southwest coast of the island, one house south from Colombo.
Originally designed by the late architect, Geoffrey Bawa, the resort embraces its natural surroundings and its setting that faces the coastal river and turquoise lagoon. It features elements of Dutch design with its gable roof, and the open air reception boasts views of the Kalu River estuary.
The hotel has 141 guest rooms with private balconies or terraces, and added extras like stocked wine humidors. Suites have spacious lounge areas, and the one-bedroom Presidential Suite has its own private plunge pool and a sundeck. The resort’s one and two-bedroom villas have private garden terraces, private pools, and a sundeck.
Facilities at the luxury beachfront resort include a library dedicated to Bawa, with drawings from the architect’s archive; three restaurants serving local and international cuisine; two outdoor swimming pools; a fitness centre; and the Upper Deck where guests can enjoy sunset views with light refreshments. There is a two-level signature Anantara Spa that boasts ten treatments rooms where guests can unwind with replenishing therapies and services, and a Yoga and meditation pavilion.
Younger guests can enjoy fun activities at the Kids and teens’ centre, and there’s an onsite water sports centre for those who want to try snorkelling, scuba diving, kayaking or surfing. In March, 2017, a new conference centre will open, which will cater for up to 500 guests and have modern meeting and events facilities.
During their stay, guests can take excursions to the nearby town of Kalutara, which is rich in history and tropical landscapes, and was once a thriving stop-off point during Sri Lanka’s spice trading days. Holidaymakers can visit the 12th Century Richmond Castle with the world’s only hollow Buddha shrine, or s the bright murals that illustrate Buddha’s life at Kalutara Vihara.
Anantara is a Thai hotel group that was established in 2001 with the launch of its first oceanfront hotel in Hua Hin, Thailand. The company has gone on to expand its collection of hotel in tropical destinations including, China, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam, the Maldives, Qatar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Mozambique and Zambia.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Visit many of Sri Lanka's key attractions before ending with a relaxing beach break
- Immerse yourself in Sri Lankan culture on a visit to a native village with catamaran ride and traditional bullock cart trip
- Explore the iconic Sigiriya Rock Fortress, home to the spectacular 'Lion Rock', a citadel of unusual beauty rising 200m from the scrub jungle
- Admire all of Kandy's main sights on a tour around the area which includes a visit to the sacred 'Temple of the Tooth'
- Relax with a beach break on the sandy shores of Beruwala at the end of your Sri Lankan adventure
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- Transport in a comfortable, air-conditioned vehicle
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Escape into the arms of one of Sri Lanka's most picturesque towns and live the sun-drenched holiday of your dreams....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...