Sri Lanka launches new themed tourism development zones
Sri Lanka is working towards its goal of attracting five million holidaymakers by 2020. In an effort to boost the number of arrivals officials have announced the launch of themed tourism development zones. The details of the project are expected to be unveiled at the upcoming Asia Hotel & Tourism Investment Conference.
In an effort to boost the number of travellers booking holidays to Sri Lanka each year, local officials have announced plans to launch themed tourism development zones.
According to initial reports, there will be between five and eight “Themed International Tourism and Family Entertainment Zones” each of which will be developed on state owned lands that will showcase Sri Lanka’s natural beauty including its beaches, mountainous areas and forested areas.
The development themes are expected to include luxury tourism, eco-tourism, wellness and yoga, adventure and family activities. Notably, the first zone Lanka Patuna is already under construction. Spread across 180 hectares of beachfront land, Lanka Patuna is expected to house as many as 30 luxury hotels.
Officials are expected to disclose full details of the programme and the steps that will be taken to attract international investment at the inaugural Asia Hotel & Tourism Investment Conference (AHTIC) due to be held later this month in Colombo. Tourism Minister John Amaratunga highlighted some of the steps being taken to ensure that the venture would be a success.
“I have formed an advisory committee of leaders of the travel, tourism and hospitality industries whose input is sought on a regular basis on all matters of national interest in the tourism sector.
"They are the driving force that guides the industry. We are accelerating and widening the scope for investors by actively making reforms to reduce bureaucracy. We want to speed up decision making.”
Officials in Sri Lanka have set a target of welcoming up to five million holidaymakers by the year 2020 along with a target of tourism revenue to be increased to US$10 billion. Recent figures show positive developments in the country’s tourism sector. The Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA) reported a 13.7 per cent increase in the number of tourist arrivals in October 2016 compared to the same period last year.
Additionally, the number of arrivals for the first ten months of the year has exceeded 1.6 million- a 14.6 per cent increase over the same period in 2015. In 2015, Sri Lanka welcomed approximately 1.8 million holidaymakers with the sector generating US$2.98 billion in revenue.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Sink into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean before a luxury getaway break to Sri Lanka
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing message at the spa or plunge into the island’s longest swimming pool in Sri Lanka
- Fabulous dining, nightlife and a wide range of watersports and recreation
- Complimentary WiFi in all rooms and selected public areas in the Paradise Island
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Escape into the arms of one of Sri Lanka's most picturesque towns and live the sun-drenched holiday of your dreams....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...