Explore Costa Rica's charming beachside town, Playa Hermosa
Costa Rica is one of Central America's most popular tourist destinations with its endless beaches on two coastlines, dense tropical jungles and thriving wildlife. One of the latest hotspots is Playa Hermosa in Guanacaste on the northern Pacific coast, approximately 45 minutes from Liberia International Airport. The small, developed town is home to hotels, restaurants and uncrowded beaches.
Over recent years, Costa Rica has become a leading tourism destination in Latin America, thanks to its natural landscapes, eco-friendly practices, and array of adventure activities.
One new hotspot that is drawing visitors is Playa Hermosa in the Guanacaste Province. Located on the northern Pacific coast of Costa Rica, Playa Hermosa is a small, developed town with a beautiful beach that can be reached within a short walk. The name translates to "Beautiful Beach", and this sandy uncrowded stretch is one of the reasons why it has become such a popular spot, especially for families who come to enjoy the calm, warm waters.
With Liberia International Airport approximately 45 minutes away, Playa Hermosa sits in a valley between two mountains and the lively town of Playas del Coco in the south and the upscale Playa Panama in the north. For such a small beachfront town, there are a wide range of hotels, restaurants and shops in Playa Hermosa, and for late bars and nightclubs, Playa del Coco is a short taxi ride away.
The unique light grey-sand beach is often uncrowded, but for travellers seeking peace and quiet, there’s a small cove around the corner from Playa Hermosa, called Playa Penca. Its turquoise, crystal clear waters are perfect for snorkelling and there is a reef that is home to pufferfish, needle-nose fish and stingrays.
The beach at Playa Hermosa stretches 1.2 miles and fringed with palm and fig trees. Holidaymakers can enjoy a wide range of fun activities such as kayaking, paddle boarding, jet skiing, swimming, diving, snorkelling, and banana boat rides. There are many scuba diving sites to enjoy, such as Catalina and Bat Islands, where manta rays, white-tip reef sharks, and bull sharks frequent the waters.
On dry land, tourists can organise tours and excursions to explore the Guanacaste region, such as ATV rides, horse riding on beaches, zip lining through tropical jungles, and visits to the hot springs and mud baths. For trips further afield, there are plenty of national parks to explore including Las Baulas National Marine Park where sea turtles can be seen, Rincon de la Vieja with its volcanic landscapes, Palo Verde where visitors can tour on river boats, Santa Rosa for hiking, and Lomas Barbudal which has off the beaten tracks that lead to the river and waterfalls.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco-tourist's dream destination
- Experience canopy walkways through a bridge system and marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- Explore San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...