Fox News encourage readers to explore the secrets of the Riviera Maya
Mexico's Mayan Riviera is one of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean, and the once sleepy fishing village of Tulum is growing in popularity. With more tourists arriving in the city each year, it can be difficult to escape the crowds. The following list offers six tips for experiencing Tulum more like a local and incorporating a little serenity into your Tulum holiday.
Mexico’s Caribbean coast continues to grow in popularity as a tourist destination, particularly for American spring breakers. For those who want to experience the beauty of Mexico’s Mayan Riviera without the throngs of tourists, here are six off-the-beaten-path locales in Tulum that sacrifice nothing in the way of beauty or amenities—only the crowds.
Tulum, which was once a small, unremarkable fishing village, is now one of Mexico’s most popular destinations. With Mayan ruins, turquoise waters and a laid-back, friendly atmosphere, the town is a charming introduction to Caribbean Mexico.
- Tulum now boasts several noteworthy restaurants, but one of the best is Cenzontle. It’s tucked away behind an iron gate in a “secret garden.” Cenzontle has succeeded in creating the kind of welcoming, unrushed atmosphere that makes guests want to linger and enjoy themselves. To give guests a bit more incentive to stay a while, the restaurant offers live music most nights.
- The recently-opened beach club, Alma Tulum, is a departure from most of the town’s beach clubs, which are closed to the public. Alma Tulum is open to everyone and is located on one of Tulum’s most beautiful beachfronts.
- Mateo’s Mexican Grille is a restaurant and bar, but its rooftop lounge is the real stand-out. It offers a characteristically low-key atmosphere and a view over the jungle and the Caribbean that is spectacular, especially as the sun sets.
- With Tulum becoming increasingly popular, it can be difficult to find accommodations if serenity is what you’re looking for. Two welcome exceptions are the Hotel Jashita and Rosa del Viento. Jashita is roughly twenty minutes north of Tulum and, located down a private drive, is an oasis of quiet away from Tulum’s tourists. Rosa del Viento is one of the oldest hotels in Tulum and is located at the southern end of the city near a wildlife refuge, where peace and quiet is the order of the day.
- A short walk from Hotel Jashita is one of Tulum’s best restaurants, Chamico’s. Locals agree that the best ceviche in Tulum can be found here, where food is fresh and prices are affordable. For fish tacos, the best choice is Taqueria La Eufemia, Tulum’s only beachside taco stand.
- And here’s a technology tip: to make getting into Tulum much easier (it’s almost a two-hour drive from the airport in Cancun), consider Ararat Transfer. For $220 roundtrip, you’re transported in a Volkswagen van with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, air conditioning, and soft drinks.
Tulum is a beautiful slice of the Mayan Riviera, and is justifiably popular with tourists. But there are still plenty of under-the-radar experiences available for travellers who want a bit more quiet with their holiday.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing
- Adults only paradise on beautiful beach
- Prime location in amazing Cancun
- Exclusive Rate Reduction
Unwind in style, surrounded by sleek, stylish design and cutting edge facilities
- The interiors are designed to frame the magnificent sea panoramas and remind you of the stunning location within which you are staying.
- The sleek and classy white interiors frame the magnificent sea panoramas reminding you of the stunning location within which you are staying
- The proximity to both Cancun and a stunning stretch of beach
An unforgettable holiday to a 5-star all-inclusive beach hotel in Riviera Maya
- Sip an exotic cocktail at Helios, an adults-only beach club
- Make reservations using the Grand Palladium Hotel Group application
- A wide range of treatments at the Zentropia Palladium Spa & Wellness
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all-inclusive luxury 24 hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Mega savings for Summer travel
- All-inclusive Unlimited-Luxury® concept
- Amazing beachfront Resort
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Located on the pristine beach of Costa Mujeres just a short drive away from the vibrant city of Cancún, the TRS Coral...
Located in the vibrant Riviera Maya area along the white sandy Mexican coastline, the TRS Yucatan Hotel is a...
The Maya Riviera has been a tourist magnet for many years now; heed the call of this magical destination and enjoy sun...
No matter if you're returning or if it's your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Whether you're looking for a fun holiday with your family, a romantic getaway with your partner or a lively trip with...