Chinese tourist welcomed by officials as the 750,000 visitor to Maldives in 2016
The Maldives has celebrated the arrival of its 750,000th tourist this year. Chinese tourist, Wang Shuai was welcomed by the Minister of Tourism, Moosa Zameer Hassan, and other tourism industry officials as he arrived at the Male International Airport with his family, and he was presented with a commemorative plaque and a Maldives holiday from the Meeru Island Resort & Spa.
A tourist from China received a unique welcome as he arrived in the Maldives recently, after being announced as the 750,000th tourist arrival in the country so far his year. Wang Shuai, was met by tourism industry officials as he arrived to Male International Airport with his family from Xian.
Mr Shuai was treated to a welcoming ceremony at the airport’s VIP lounge which was attended by the Maldives’ Minister of Tourism, Moosa Zameer Hassan; the Ambassador of China to Maldives Wang Fukang; and industry officials from the Ministry of Tourism and Maldives Marketing and PR Corporation (MMPRC). A commemorative plaque was present to Mr Shuai, as well as a gift of a holiday in the Maldives from the Meeru Island Resort & Spa.
The Visit Maldives Year 2016 (VMY2016) campaign has set a target of 1.5 million tourist arrivals by the end of the year. The nation is hosting a variety of events to attract more international holidaymakers including a Maldives Photography competition and a Surfing competition. The Maldives also partnered with the leading travel industry event ITB, Berlin in Germany, in March, and it was the Official Partner Country.
The VMY2016 is promoting the products and services of the Maldives travel and tourism industry to international markets in a bid to attract more visitors. India is one of the Maldives’ largest source markets, along with China and Europe. In July, 2016, more than 110,430 tourists visited the Maldives, which was an impressive 40 per cent increase compared to visitor numbers in June 2016.
The Maldives is a picturesque archipelago nation in the Indian Ocean located south of Sri Lanka. With 26 coral atolls, the country is made up of hundreds of islands that boast pristine white sandy beaches, aquamarine lagoons, and thriving reefs. The capital of the Maldives is Male with its skyscrapers, mosques, museums, markets and international airport. Other idyllic islands and their luxurious hotels and resorts can be accessed via short boat trips and sea plane flights from Male.
The tropical destination is a hotspot for romantic honeymoons and family breaks, due to its natural landscapes and all-year-round fine weather. There are plenty of opportunities to relax on powder-soft beaches under palm trees, swim in tranquil lagoons, scuba dive or snorkel down to reefs that are teeming with colourful marine life, or take a boat trip and go island hopping.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Relax and enjoy a sensory experience at Coconut Spa, try out a new water sport, or simply relax and savour your Maldivian adventure
- Enjoy Complimentary Water Sports including Canoeing, Windsurfing & Catamaran Sailing
- Explore the best underwater habitat with the Diving Centre Guides
- Indulge from a wide array of Dining experiences including Italian specialties, international and local delicacies
Bask in the crystal waters of the Indian Ocean with this stunning Maldivian hideaway
- Explore the local reef with an expert guide
- Experience the true Maldivian way of life with a local family
- Indulge your senses with serene tranquillity at the Spa
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...