Chinese tourist welcomed by officials as the 750,000 visitor to Maldives in 2016
The Maldives has celebrated the arrival of its 750,000th tourist this year. Chinese tourist, Wang Shuai was welcomed by the Minister of Tourism, Moosa Zameer Hassan, and other tourism industry officials as he arrived at the Male International Airport with his family, and he was presented with a commemorative plaque and a Maldives holiday from the Meeru Island Resort & Spa.
A tourist from China received a unique welcome as he arrived in the Maldives recently, after being announced as the 750,000th tourist arrival in the country so far his year. Wang Shuai, was met by tourism industry officials as he arrived to Male International Airport with his family from Xian.
Mr Shuai was treated to a welcoming ceremony at the airport’s VIP lounge which was attended by the Maldives’ Minister of Tourism, Moosa Zameer Hassan; the Ambassador of China to Maldives Wang Fukang; and industry officials from the Ministry of Tourism and Maldives Marketing and PR Corporation (MMPRC). A commemorative plaque was present to Mr Shuai, as well as a gift of a holiday in the Maldives from the Meeru Island Resort & Spa.
The Visit Maldives Year 2016 (VMY2016) campaign has set a target of 1.5 million tourist arrivals by the end of the year. The nation is hosting a variety of events to attract more international holidaymakers including a Maldives Photography competition and a Surfing competition. The Maldives also partnered with the leading travel industry event ITB, Berlin in Germany, in March, and it was the Official Partner Country.
The VMY2016 is promoting the products and services of the Maldives travel and tourism industry to international markets in a bid to attract more visitors. India is one of the Maldives’ largest source markets, along with China and Europe. In July, 2016, more than 110,430 tourists visited the Maldives, which was an impressive 40 per cent increase compared to visitor numbers in June 2016.
The Maldives is a picturesque archipelago nation in the Indian Ocean located south of Sri Lanka. With 26 coral atolls, the country is made up of hundreds of islands that boast pristine white sandy beaches, aquamarine lagoons, and thriving reefs. The capital of the Maldives is Male with its skyscrapers, mosques, museums, markets and international airport. Other idyllic islands and their luxurious hotels and resorts can be accessed via short boat trips and sea plane flights from Male.
The tropical destination is a hotspot for romantic honeymoons and family breaks, due to its natural landscapes and all-year-round fine weather. There are plenty of opportunities to relax on powder-soft beaches under palm trees, swim in tranquil lagoons, scuba dive or snorkel down to reefs that are teeming with colourful marine life, or take a boat trip and go island hopping.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Sink into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean before a luxury getaway break to Sri Lanka
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing message at the spa or plunge into the island’s longest swimming pool in Sri Lanka
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in all rooms and selected public areas in the Paradise Island
- Fabulous dining, nightlife and a wide range of watersports and recreation in both destinations
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin
- All meals, snacks and beverages included
- Rooms overlooking the ocean
- Relax on the secluded beach
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in the Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Kuredu Island Resort will be your home away from home during your holiday and you could hardly pick a more ideal place...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...
The Sun Island is located on the Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives, which is one of the most sublime coastal...